Mental Health Support Society XVIII

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WolfGangPro)
    Sounds like you're handling it well! Make sure you let it off your chest though, can become overwhelming especially with cancer scares from personal experience.

Hope it all goes well!

P.S. **** that guy
    Thanks I'm going with my brother to his appointment tomorrow; apparently I'm some sort of calming influence!

Moving out today. Extremely nervous and hope I can manage.

ReputationRep:
    Feel like calling the crisis team but scared that they'll either not be able to help or over react and get me sectioned

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Moving out today. Extremely nervous and hope I can manage.
    Best of luck!

(Original post by Noodlzzz)
    Feel like calling the crisis team but scared that they'll either not be able to help or over react and get me sectioned
    Not an easy decision... but if you feel you need them, then try to put some faith in them. How are you feeling now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WBZ144)
    Has anyone experienced trying to meet a deadline while having severe depression? How did you get around it and force yourself to stay focused? I may be requesting a deadline extension next week but there is only so long I can get.
    My issue was trying to revise with depression and anxiety. I also had terrible concentration issues and class time was so useless.
    The best thing I can suggest is when you feel even the smallest urge to work grab onto it, hold it and stretch it out. I used my energetic bursts to power through and worked twice as hard in those small gaps than mediocre revision constantly.
    You can give it your best and try to believe. I know it's not easy but you'll reach a point where you realise you can't put these things off anymore and you'll have to do it. Try and think of the bigger picture that there is an end goal, but i know how hard that can be.
    Best of luck to you,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Noodlzzz)
    :hugs:Hope you're safe. It's a tough call, are you on your own at the moment?

WBZ144 - Apologies I didn't see your post up the thread. Re getting an extension for work for depression, it probably varies but at my uni you fill out an extenuating circumstances form complete with a medical certificate or letter from your GP (it can also be from your therapist or the uni support service). I know at my uni there is a limit to deadline extensions but it can be extended if circumstances are severe - I've just been given an extension of over a month for my dissertation due to depression, anxiety and complications related to my autism. The only catch is that it has to be in (complete with evidence) prior to the original deadline. In my experience (9 times out of 10 anyway), unis are very supportive and want you to succeed and so are happy to oblige.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezme39)
    In a surprisingly stable state of mind at the moment, but life is having a good attempt at knocking me down :/
    The guy who asked me out last week has now admitted to leading on two girls at the same time, which sucks. For once I've actually stood my ground though
    Also, my brothers having a cancer scare at the moment. He's seeing the doctor this week. It's probably nothing, but our family is high risk since both parents have had it
    Hope your brother is OK :hugs: my best friend recently went through a cancer scare and due to her family history as well, it made the results even more daunting so I know how stressful it can be when someone you care about is going through a scare like that. Thankfully she got the all clear and I really do hope you brother gets the all clear too :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spock's Socks)
    Hope your brother is OK :hugs: my best friend recently went through a cancer scare and due to her family history as well, it made the results even more daunting so I know how stressful it can be when someone you care about is going through a scare like that. Thankfully she got the all clear and I really do hope you brother gets the all clear too :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you :hugs: we're in a similar situation, because both of my parents have had cancer (they're both okay now though!) - I know it's probably nothing, but naturally we're all bricking it right now..

ReputationRep:
    Being back on meds really sucks I feel bad for complaining because it seems others are having a worse time than me atm.

ReputationRep:
    Insomnia strikes again -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cannot.

Cope.

ReputationRep:
    Cannot.

Cope.
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to read there are so many people struggling atm Hugs for all! :grouphugs:

Also, welcome to the newbies :hi: Make yourself at home!

I GOT TO MEET JONNY BENJAMIN (the 'Finding Mike' campaign guy) ON SUNDAY! :nutcase: :banana: :dance: He spent ages talking to me and seemed to genuinely be happy and interested enough to do so. He was so nice. It was really humbling to meet him and tell him what an inspiration he is for me, as someone who also has schizoaffective disorder

ReputationRep:
    I'm really worried about my gran. I'm scared she possibly has the start of dementia

Spoiler:
    Show
    I've had my worries for a while about this but lately its gotten so much worse. Yesterday was a good example. I asked if she wanted to go out to my wedding venue for a nosey and she said yes and when I picked her up 10 mins later, she was all confused asking why I was there. That was the first red flag. She has also been very dismissive about my wedding. When I talk about it, she changes the subject and I confronted her yesterday and she told me she wont support my wedding because I'm too young and not been with him for long enough. When I told her I've been with him 7 and a half years already and it'll be 10 years on the wedding date, she was confused and this scares me as he lived with her years ago and she should remember that and that would remind her that we have been together for a while. She has also had major mood swings and says some pretty nasty things about me, my looks, Callan's looks and says she is embarrassed to be seen with us and things like that. Her mum had dementia and that is what worries me. Her mum was around the age my gran is now when she developed it

I should be over the moon about my wedding and I am but this is such a downer and the wedding is 2 years away, if she does have dementia, she could be a lot worse by then :cry2: I've tried talking to my mum about it but she dismisses it and tries to sweep it under the carpet, as does my papa. Callan sees the concerns as his gran went the same way a few years ago. Its really getting to me

ReputationRep:
    Back at my Dad's because I really wasn't coping. I feel ridiculous as I'm 25 so should be able to be cope by myself

(Original post by LesPaul_Player91)
    Back at my Dad's because I really wasn't coping. I feel ridiculous as I'm 25 so should be able to be cope by myself
    ik people older than you who struggle to cope so dw :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    ik people older than you who struggle to cope so dw :hugs:
    Thanks :hugs:I just find it frustrating that I still need my parents to help me with so much at my age. Still, at least I feel safe here.

ReputationRep:
    Wollowing in self pity feeling really ****

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well my therapy was basically useless, after that one off session where I was promised medication to be arranged by end of week and referral to a CPN, 6 weeks passed with me ringing once or twice a week for an update to be given none then out of the blue a phone call to say I missed an appointment and but they could squeeze me in next morning.

I attend to be told theres nothing they can do as I am doing all the correct motions i.e making an effort to get up early, trying to change diet (but failing) etc, trying to leave house.

And she had no recollecton of recommending me medication for anxiety and even said she didn't think they would be good for me.

What a waste.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by drbluebox)
    Well my therapy was basically useless, after that one off session where I was promised medication to be arranged by end of week and referral to a CPN, 6 weeks passed with me ringing once or twice a week for an update to be given none then out of the blue a phone call to say I missed an appointment and but they could squeeze me in next morning.

I attend to be told theres nothing they can do as I am doing all the correct motions i.e making an effort to get up early, trying to change diet (but failing) etc, trying to leave house.

And she had no recollecton of recommending me medication for anxiety and even said she didn't think they would be good for me.

What a waste.
    :hugs:

It always really angers me when I hear stories like this.

I had pretty much the same experience a couple of years ago in my uni town (and my therapist at the time said he'd heard the same thing time and time again from numerous people) - in spite of being a complete and utter wreck and stimming like crazy due to crippling anxiety in the meeting the psych asked me what I was like as a kid at school and basically because I did well at school and didn't act out much there was nothing wrong with me but really mild stress so I didn't need meds or anything, I just needed a couple of days off.

My only other advice would be a private consultation if you can afford it. It also takes time to get a correct diagnosis. I've been misdiagnosed and ultimately I didn't get my current diagnosis until September last year and I'd been 'in the system' so to speak on and off since the end of 2012.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.