Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusion)
    They weren't paid nowhere near as much as Capello is.

Lets face it the FA are the biggest fools around with the aim of making as much money as possible out of foolish fans paying stupid amounts for mickey mouse wembley friendlies and £6 a hotdog.
    Wasn't McClaren on £4 mill a year?
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Well done to Bentley in the 2nd half for putting his head down and actually running with the ball. Was the first one to actually take people on all night it would seem, even though he gave it away.

Massive plus point now, is there are a number of players that can now step up into the striker position should they actually start being consistent and put forward a case. Come on Mr. Ashton, get a good run going, stay fit, maybe find a bigger club and be our out and out striker. Because we need someone like you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Throwback)
    Wasn't McClaren on £4 mill a year?
    A bit less than that I guess not forgetting his payoff. ******* naive fans paying for these stupid wages and getting f all in return.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <CJ>)
    and I don't like that we can't get an out and out striker that is both a)Good and b) in form.

Arrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    His name is Defoe.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by mhsc)
    His name is Defoe.
    Time will tell.

First objective, get in the squad.

I say Ashton, if he can find form and stay fit.

ReputationRep:
    Brown, Ferdinand, Hargreaves and Rooney were a waste of space and should never play for England again. No passion, pride or skill. Gerrard and Crouch showed how the game should be played - Bob, Liverpool
    :laugh:
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    ****ing ROFL :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    Oh I'd love to see that Merseyside independence movement win out and have England's average IQ go up a notch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Synergetic)
    England outplayed by a far superior side...there's no shame in it. I thought we did well to keep it down to 1 and deny France many clear cut opportunities.
    mmm but what gets me is that individual players like the french - Anelka, Toulalan, Ribery are not great players - certainly no better than our Rooney, Gerrard, Joe Cole; yet we cant string 3 passes together. We can talk about formations and combinations all day, but sometimes i just think it shouldn't have to come down to that. Why can't we just play football?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idiopathic)
    mmm but what gets me is that individual players like the french - Anelka, Toulalan, Ribery are not great players - certainly no better than our Rooney, Gerrard, Joe Cole; yet we cant string 3 passes together.
    That's debatable. And I'll say Henry, Ribery and Makelele are much better than Crouch, Beckham and Barry....see what I did there? You should, it's the same thing you did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <CJ>)
    ****ing ROFL :toofunny:
    Lol I got negged for it. They will regret that later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by <CJ>)
    Honestly... the lack of energy in and around Rooney is pathetic. I don't like Gerrard playing off him as he himself is often too deep, I don't like the way the wingers don't have out and out pace, and I don't like that we can't get an out and out striker that is both a)Good and b) in form.

Arrrgggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
    Agree - Rooney needs someone else infront of him. He works as a lone-striker for Man U because, there, players like Ronaldo are dynamic enough to continuously move around, find space, and attack with pace.

Also thank you to David Beckham for his services. But now hope we can move on and blood someone new to challenge for that right wing spot on a permanent/longterm basis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Throwback)
    It was a friendly.

Loved how Capello gave an exact date as to when he expects the team to be ready how he wants them - August 20th or something was his answer. He's not here to mess about.
    There's a reason he gave an exact date August 20th is the date of England's last friendly before they start the 2010 World Cup qualifiers in September. He can get away with it against Andorra, but he really doesn't want to be fiddling around once he's facing more competent teams in competitive matches.

England play USA on May 28th, then have a nice long break because they didn't qualify for Euro 2008 (:p:). Their next friendly is against the Czech Republic on August 20th. Then they play Andorra on September 6th and Croatia on September 10th

The England team are poor because the players are relatively poor - simple as that.
    You really think so? :s: Hell, as a Scot even I disagree with that. I've said this before and I stand by it - England have a lot of great individuals, but they just don't seem to gel together as a team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalimyr)

You really think so? :s: Hell, as a Scot even I disagree with that. I've said this before and I stand by it - England have a lot of great individuals, but they just don't seem to gel together as a team.
    Not the first time I've heard this today, and the notion frustrates me. I've seen what England are capable of against Switzerland. Dynamism and pacey attack, possession with purpose.

All missing tonight.

My main gripe is that both Beckham and Barry started. One could easily have been sacrificed to give Rooney and Cole proper support in the shape of Bentley. This would also have enabled width, especially high up the pitch, and a good spread of attacking options.

As it was, not only were England far too deep and compact, even in possession, but also frustratingly static. There was no zip from anyone but our two outstanding young talents.

And there was none altogether when the slow pair of Owen and Crouch made it onto the pitch, to be supplied from the wings by Beckham and Downing of all people! Those changes made Hargreaves the most dynamic and pacey member of the front six, though his job was to be the most defensive of the front six!

Capello had made some perplexing decisions tonight. The team he started with, I said straight away it lacked teeth. It was never going to score. The substitutions made some of his decisions on Saturday very odd indeed in hindsight. For example, why pick Downing at all, and chop Young? And if you were going to try 4-4-2 after all, why drop both Agbonlahor and Defoe? Defoe's omission in particular continutes to rankle; he's the most on-form forward in the league and playing with the verve and enthusiasm England so lacked tonight.

Against Switzerland the team did gel. Capello had picked a formation that made the best of its players' talents to get goals and prevent them going in at our end. Rooney, with support from two wide men and three midfielders who didn't get in each other's way, was at his effervescent and creative best. Tonight he had one wide man and four midfielders who got in each other's way.

As for Beckham. He too often tried those long balls to the centre forward that were just gobbled up by the keeper. Frequent completely unnecessary wastes of possession. Sorry, we don't need you doing that. Gareth Barry wouldn't do it, Michael Carrick wouldn't have; they would have treated the ball with respect, treated possession as if it was a sacred duty.

It was back to the bad old days of Steve McClaren. Soon after the second half kicked off my mate told me "at least he's trying new things out". At this point it was 4-4-2 with Beckham, Downing, Crouch and Owen; I had to respond "but right now he's trying an old thing out". I hope he's learned that England are no good playing slow and patient, but we do have the players, the raw ingredients, for a game dependent on pace and off-the-ball movement. He didn't cook with those ingredients tonight.

The wrong team in the wrong system was played tonight. Pick the right team in the right system, and that eleven WILL gel.

ReputationRep:
    Other stuff that annoyed me about the game:

What's the matter with Ashley Cole. Nowadays he gets within 20 yards of the goal-line, he looks square or back. Why doesn't he attempt a cross or a one-two and charge at the near post?

What was James trying to grab the ball for when he fouled Anelka? He should've seen Anelka and won the race to the ball and hoofed it clear (even if it meant going right through Anelka on the follow-through). He was close enough to have charged out and kicked it clear, so he messed up by deciding to go with his hands.

England's poor showing out wide made it so easy for Clerc and Abidal to get high up the pitch, and for Malouda and Ribery to drift inwards and be dangerous with link-ups to Anelka. Were they prepared to take on their man, maybe get close to the byline, they'd have pinned France back.

So often was the space between France's defenders and Makelele and Toulalan left empty. Had Crouch been allowed to play his natural game he'd have drifted back into that space, received the ball to feet, and either found Owen or brought a midfielder in to play. As it was, he was exclusively a target man, there to serve as foil to Owen. That worked sublimely.

Stewart Downing. He just annoys me. Must not get near the England team. Give James Milner a go on the left before you pick him again.

OK that's it for now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juwel)
    Other stuff that annoyed me about the game:

What's the matter with Ashley Cole. Nowadays he gets within 20 yards of the goal-line, he looks square or back. Why doesn't he attempt a cross or a one-two and charge at the near post?
    Because he dosent play for arsenal anymore

ReputationRep:
    Would have loved Djib to have got a goal last night, other than that - mediocrity and insignificance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpg)
    err you realise a fairly drastic change happened not long ago when a mediocre, inept manager was replaced by the Don of European football?!?!?!?!?! Give him time ffs.
    errrrr i mean something drastic in the way in which we play, u *******. for me that was the exact same lackluster performance we would have seen under erricsson or mclaran. i know he needs time but it looks like he's taking the team in the same direction. If anything it might be an improved version of what has not been working for the last 6 years.

If the players are struggling so much to play with each other in a 442, how about making the team play in a simular set up to man utd and chelsea with a 433.

cole, terry, ferdinand, richards

gerrard, carrick, hargreaves

rooney, J Cole, SWP/Lennon/bentley

Just an idea, but if u compare the team with man utd n chelsea its not too far off, and the style would suit many of the players.

ReputationRep:
    Well I can answer that for you. The England team are poor because the players are relatively poor - simple as that.
    Do you think the England players are better than the Germans or the Greeks, based on club form? I mention these two teams because they are greater than the sum of their parts, and have proven to be successful. I really think Capello can achieve something similar.

Far too many people believe the tabloid hype regarding the national team. It's embarrassing.
    I'd agree with this to an extent. Beckham over the last couple of years has shown what media hype and pressure can do. Even the great Capello had to pick him for his 100th cap, despite him playing in a true Mickey Mouse league.

If Capello wants to play his preferred game, he needs some more pace in the team. Nobody on the pitch had threatening pace yesterday...Cashley and Rio perhaps, but neither is in a position to make use of their physicality in threatening areas. The lack of a striker in the team was also very disappointing.

ReputationRep:
    What we need is an Alan Shearer/Nistelrooy type of striker. Someone that's good with headers, not afraid to strike the ball and can pop up at the right place at the right moment.

At the moment, we have short, pacey strikers (except Crouch) that mean that crossing the ball in against good centre-halfs is impossible as they will be beaten by the defender 99 times out of 100.

There's no English player that fits that description that comes to my mind at the moment.

However, Capello has only had about a week contact time with the players since becoming manager so he will need a few more matches at least. Maybe we can have a tour of Asia/South America during the summer?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.