Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadMaths)
    i think i did alright....im abit unsure till some1 posts the answers with exam paper....for now im going to revise physics
    yep i probably got around 57-58 ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bullolozer)
    Very true and to second your point even more there was nothing on blood buffers on the syllabus! I got the new OCR book for biology which is supposed to be specific for the new stuff and no seals questions.
    Look at page 95, question 5.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    I think is all my fault we should have revised edocrine+dialysis i was sure that dialysis was going to come up
    but thought nah it may not come up!
    both of us to blame xD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    yep i probably got around 57-58 ...
    woow...u serious???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXxBaby-BooxXx)
    And um, I have no idea. It was just already on TSR so I thought why not.
    Heh, someone on the staffing crew is obsessed with it, then. XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by divinelord)
    Anyone hazard a guess at the seal question?

I said:
    1. It must have large lungs to use O2 over time
    2. It has a lot of fat which anaerobically respires to give lactate. Lactate is stored in its large liver to later be oxidised and hence pay the oxygen debt.

:yep:
    but i also said its heart rate decreases so it uses less oxygen
    aaaand that the metabolic reactions slow down so less oxygen is required..

i have NO idea tho.
    honestly i hated the paper. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    For the last question I said:

CO2 is controlled because it is needed in the calvin cycle to produce triose phosphate which is used to make glucose.
    I also said that water (supply) can also be controlled because water is needed in other for photolysis (of water) to occur.
    I also said that too high of CO2 can be toxic for the plant?

How many marks, out of five, would that get me? I understand that I was suppose to mention temperature, but I didn't becuase I was rushing out of time : and I generally wrote what first came up in my head.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MadMaths)
    woow...u serious???
    yea.. 1 mark from the calculation bit and a mark from the friggin PCT in cortex for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summerdays)
    For the last question I said:

CO2 is controlled because it is needed in the calvin cycle to produce triose phosphate which is used to make glucose.
    I also said that water (supply) can also be controlled because water is needed in other for photolysis (of water) to occur.
    I also said that too high of CO2 can be toxic for the plant?

How many marks, out of five, would that get me? I understand that I was suppose to mention temperature, but I didn't becuase I was rushing out of time : and I generally wrote what first came up in my head.
    Nope it cant, it only increases the rate of photosynthesis. i would say around ...4?
    EDIT: wait i am pretty sure it was a 4 mark question.

ReputationRep:
    yea.. 1 mark from the calculation bit and a mark from the friggin PCT in cortex for sure.
    i think i lost 4/6...but abit unsure as i can remember the paper....need the paper.....if there are any teachers out there!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheMikester69)
    All these people referring to a question about seals in the OCR official book are pretty lucky.
    Never heard a single thing about it in Biology for OCR 2, so i didn't even know where to start thinking.

I'm buying both books for next exam :/
    Which one is this??

ReputationRep:
    The way the question was formatted and came just after some respiration based question made it pretty straight forward, you had to relate it with respiration.
    I did, kind of.
    But i have absolutely no idea about any kind of buffers in ears (:confused: ) or what anyone is talking about.
    And the formatting didn't make it clear at all, seeing as the questions were all over the place. I don't think they could have formatted it worse if they tried to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_v)
    OMG I hadn't seen that. One of my many bullet points for that answer was about buffers so yay!

ReputationRep:
    Excessive light or temperature could cause an issue with plants but co2 nope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Get Cape.Wear Cape.Fly.)
    Isn't the penis a bone that just moves? Muscles? *im finkin*
    :lolwut:
    a bone? :rofl:

my answer to the seal question, i had no idea and had to base it on what I could see from the pics and extrapolate the rest, it was 3 marks so i just said

-large lung capacity to take in and hold a lot of oxygen
    -small head means small brain and brain requires a lot ATP
    -large fat stores and fat as a respiratory substrate releases more energy

ive revised the heinamann book backwards, not a single mention of how animals are adapted to respiration

it was just one of those questions that you either get or you dont

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BHAM!)
    Which one is this??
    One with the MRI scan on the front

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by steph_v)

Page 95 question 5 is chapter 7, cellular control. Are you sure you have the new book?

ReputationRep:
    Excessive light or temperature could cause an issue with plants but co2 nope.
    Stomata start to close above 0.4% carbon dioxide, so yes this lowers rate of photosynthesis if it gets too high

ReputationRep:
    ahhhh....seals have buffers....ahhh pooo....:yep: page 95 Q.5

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    :lolwut:
    a bone? :rofl:

my answer to the seal question, i had no idea and had to base it on what I could see from the pics and extrapolate the rest, it was 3 marks so i just said

-large lung capacity to take in and hold a lot of oxygen
    -small head means small brain and brain requires a lot ATP
    -large fat stores and fat as a respiratory substrate releases more energy

ive revised the heinamann book backwards, not a single mention of how animals are adapted to respiration

it was just one of those questions that you either get or you dont
    Well. you could put down that this mama seal is adapted in such a way that the enzymes which catalyze the reaction work slow hence less o2 being used up, also to add up less pyruvate being produced (note it related to oxygen) so less or no oxygen until the mama gets to the surface, as we know in the liver Lactate turns Pyruvate/.
    End of story ;0

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 7, 2016

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.