Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    It's weird how different PGCEs approach it!

The longest consecutive time in school during my whole PGCE was just over 5 weeks for my final placement! I prefered it this way. Although it then means the longer terms of NQT seem longer, but I still preferred to be weaned in. It meant I could keep the support of uni tutors and peers, and could sort it all in to manageable chunks!

xxx
    It's not to do with my uni but rather the school I'm at. They had half term a week or two before the majority and the fore been in since then. Been ok so far but now kinda feeling it. Still taking encouragement that in two weeks I get a break.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty_mad)
    It's not to do with my uni but rather the school I'm at. They had half term a week or two before the majority and the fore been in since then. Been ok so far but now kinda feeling it. Still taking encouragement that in two weeks I get a break.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, and think of next year when other NQTs are waning, you'll be like 'Done it before!!!' lol.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Yeah, and think of next year when other NQTs are waning, you'll be like 'Done it before!!!' lol.

xxx
    Haha it will definitely help. Six weeks a half term is perfect for everyone - kids and teachers. Hopefully next placement it'll be that way.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveluis10)
    Ahh, only 2 more weeks to go!

We have a lecture on applying for jobs this week :eek:

Have my assignment done and my evidence file basically done as well for my first review this week in school.

Ive been told by my mentor that when I come back after Christmas and I'm there Monday to Friday I'll just be having the lessons I take now but twice which suits me as I don't need to get to know other classes!

Over the Christmas break I'm going to relax and recharge my batteries so to speak but also going to start writing up covering letters for applications etc. The prospect of interviews scares me but I'm going to try and start applying for jobs some time in January so need to be prepared.

Cant believe I've almost made it to Christmas and when I come back I have 5 more weeks at my first placement then off to the second!
    a lot of schools tend to go for application forms with a PS so if you want to prepare yourself it may be better to draft a basic PS that you can adapt to the schools

ReputationRep:
    Yeah that's what I will be doing - a general one that shows why I wanted to teach and what I've learned so far etc.

One girl on my course has got a job! First one, very early on, secondary English.

Most jobs haven't even come up yet but she saw one near where she lives, applied and got the job this week.

I think there was a mix of envy and the feeling that well if she can get one this early on, we can get one over the next few months with more experience!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing school direct and about 10-15% of my cohort have jobs lined up already. On finding that out last week I believe their popularity promptly plummeted, lol!

Lots of very jealous faces in the lecture theatre!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeLynsey)
    I'm doing school direct and about 10-15% of my cohort have jobs lined up already. On finding that out last week I believe their popularity promptly plummeted, lol!

I guess it's different for school direct though, since a lot of people will be getting jobs in their main training school?

I did primary and people started sorting out jobs in Jan and it lasted all the way through to September.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeLynsey)

Hi, I thought schools direct pretty much had guaranteed jobs?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pgce2013)
    Hi, I thought schools direct pretty much had guaranteed jobs?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh how I wish it was like that...

ReputationRep:
    I'm wondering if some of you PGCE guys can help me out with a couple of questions. I'm currently in my final year as an undergrad (English lit) and I've been looking into applying for a PGCE course. How long is the actual course and at what point in your final year did you apply for the PGCE? Also someone told me that there is funding available for PGCE, is there a minimum requirement for that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -bill-)
    I'm wondering if some of you PGCE guys can help me out with a couple of questions. I'm currently in my final year as an undergrad (English lit) and I've been looking into applying for a PGCE course. How long is the actual course and at what point in your final year did you apply for the PGCE? Also someone told me that there is funding available for PGCE, is there a minimum requirement for that?
    The course is a year long. I applied late October and had an interview in December. The PGCE is funded the same was as an undergraduate degree but there is also the possibility of a bursary as well depending on your course choice and degree class.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Had an awful lesson this morning with y9, had planned a really great lesson for them on the Battle of the Somme, and they just couldn't be mature. We were talking about recent tragedies and disasters and even then some of the boys were giggling. Went to head of dept, got 30 textbooks and they spent the rest of the lesson copying word for word the textbook, and then the usual class teacher came in after I'd had given them a proper telling off, and set them a really long and boring homework to do for Thursday. Maybe on Thursday they'll be a bit more mature!

However, last lesson was brilliant with my year 8's. We played Take Me Out and decided who Elizabeth I should marry. They were so good, and so enthusiastic. So that restored my faith in teaching - however, I feel totally emotionally drained after today!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by outlaw-torn)
    Had an awful lesson this morning with y9, had planned a really great lesson for them on the Battle of the Somme, and they just couldn't be mature. We were talking about recent tragedies and disasters and even then some of the boys were giggling. Went to head of dept, got 30 textbooks and they spent the rest of the lesson copying word for word the textbook, and then the usual class teacher came in after I'd had given them a proper telling off, and set them a really long and boring homework to do for Thursday. Maybe on Thursday they'll be a bit more mature!

However, last lesson was brilliant with my year 8's. We played Take Me Out and decided who Elizabeth I should marry. They were so good, and so enthusiastic. So that restored my faith in teaching - however, I feel totally emotionally drained after today!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I hate when you plan a really exciting, interesting lesson and they just don't give it a chance. I had that with a re-enactment of the Jewish Friday Night Dinner on one of my placements. Though luckily other teachers in the year were teaching the same lesson and it went well so I at least knew it wasn't planned awfully!

xxx

ReputationRep:
    First Review went great; my mentor put I was making expected progress for every standard so that will do me!

Year 7 lesson wasn't too great this morning, all the pupils are in Christmas mode and the staff have just had their faculty reviews so are basically running on empty and the kids know it. The lads in the class were being silly and distracting one another, everyone was hyper and I got asked a million different questions at once, once I had set my activity, think they were playing the 'I don't understand this when I actually do' card to waste time. What made it worse was that the teacher who usually sits in the class had to go somewhere for 5 minutes, I thought great I can just get on with it, then out of nowhere my Head of English comes and sits in on the lesson! To say it made me nervous was an understatement. Once she had left the class actually became better and in the end the majority engaged with the activity to the point of silence in the room because they were so engrossed in their work.

Have year 8 tomorrow, possibly year 10 on Friday then next week I'm assuming I'm not teaching as it's a put a film on in every class week with a Thursday early finish for Christmas.

Need to sit down with several teachers and discuss what I need to be thinking about in terms of subject content for next term with all my classes.

Assignment done, First Review done....things seem a bit too good so I'm expecting a catch somewhere!

ReputationRep:
    Need some advice here please.

My first placement has been at a faith school and that's ending next week. The list for our second placement is up and I've been placed at another faith school. My question and concern is, is it looked down upon to do all your placements at a faith school? My big concern is what prospective employers will think.

If it is a problem I will have to inform my uni before next week. I'm also gonna speak to my current mentor and see what he says.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No, I wouldn't say that it makes any difference- why should it? In terms of teaching and learning it should be the same as a non-faith school. Plus the demographics might be different etc. If the issue did arise before a potential job just explain that it wasn't up to you. Unless you were doing Religious Studies, I guess it may make a bit more difference then!

ReputationRep:
    A job has come up at my 'home' school (I'm doing schools direct nonsalaried)! It came up on Thursday and closes on Monday :/ I'm going to apply for it but I'm a bit worried because they have seen my terrible lessons and know I aren't a shiny amazing teacher yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    A job has come up at my 'home' school (I'm doing schools direct nonsalaried)! It came up on Thursday and closes on Monday :/ I'm going to apply for it but I'm a bit worried because they have seen my terrible lessons and know I aren't a shiny amazing teacher yet!
    Go for it. What have you got to lose??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    Shelly, take the opportunity - you can say atleast you applied and will have no regrets .....

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anyone planning to buy their mentor/children anything before they leave?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.