Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dnumberwang)

future prime minister tbh

I thank you for what I assume is a compliment.

ReputationRep:
    Like most people, I also love Worcester It's unsuprising that it's the most oversubscribed college. I myself, am thinking about Hertford. They have a cat :emog:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom-m)
    Yeah, I'm thinking we'll probably go through 4, I've more or less finished 3 so far.

My EPQ title is something along the lines of "To what extent can the algorithms developed in Topic Detection & Tracking research be applied to news available online". I think I probably wrote it incorrectly in the project proposal though, I'll have to check on Monday.
    Hmm, my college has special help for people doing STEP papers, but will definitely ask if I have any queries about the MAT (although the official answers seem quite good).

(Original post by nightmare91)
    What a depressing thread Oh I hope none of us will have to post their feedback in the 2012 Oxbridge rejection thread..
    Yeah. Especially that post, because they talk about how good they were, but still only came 11th

(Original post by dnumberwang)
    ffs Worcester is annoyingly popular. My friend went to Oxford on wednesday and he's decided on Worcester too >.< It's for a very different subject though, so I'm sure it's fine
    I'm going to the UNIQ Summer School at Oxford, and a lot of the Computer Science people are staying at St John's. It's quite frustrating (I'm not staying there for the summer school) because but I think lots of CS people want, or will want, to apply there...

ReputationRep:
    didn't look at worcester yesterday, though after visiting queens i am completely sold! even my friend who thought he was definitely going to harvard/cambridge was sold!

oh but for sakes of over-subscription and for anyone who skips to the bottom, QUEENS WAS TERRIBLE DONT APPLY

:]

ReputationRep:
    Someone asked what Oxford thought of the Extended Project Qualification in the law talk. They had no idea what it was

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perseverance)
    Someone asked what Oxford thought of the Extended Project Qualification in the law talk. They had no idea what it was
    The thing trying to sell the EPQ to us quoted "LSE admissions tutor" as asking why someone hadn't done the EPQ despite their school offering it, but no-one there had any idea what it was - they need to try to tell more universities about it if they're going to increase numbers taking it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by desy.kris)
    it's so exciting!!!
    It is really exciting, isn't it!?!? I was practically bouncing in my seat with excitement and some of the boys were just like wtf...

Just realised there was a spelling mitskae in my PS and changed it, bringing it up to 4000 exactly! arrgh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samdude)
    didn't look at worcester yesterday, though after visiting queens i am completely sold! even my friend who thought he was definitely going to harvard/cambridge was sold!

oh but for sakes of over-subscription and for anyone who skips to the bottom, QUEENS WAS TERRIBLE DONT APPLY

:]
    LOL! I loved queens too :3 I'm gonna apply so sorry XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HolyFuzazzle)
    LOL! I loved queens too :3 I'm gonna apply so sorry XD
    I felt Queens had the best Architecture, but they didn't let me go in and have an explore.

Its a toss up for me now, Magdelen (for the gorgeous grounds, sport, closeness to the social sciences centre), Trinity (Lovely Accom and I just love the openness, no massive walls like at others) and Oriel (Cause its small and my English teacher went there and says I will be balling if i go).

Where to pick!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ocassus)
    I felt Queens had the best Architecture, but they didn't let me go in and have an explore.

Its a toss up for me now, Magdelen (for the gorgeous grounds, sport, closeness to the social sciences centre), Trinity (Lovely Accom and I just love the openness, no massive walls like at others) and Oriel (Cause its small and my English teacher went there and says I will be balling if i go).

Where to pick!
    They didn't?! I went on the Wednesday and they were really relaxed and let me go anywhere but in the end I just tagged along on the door It is so pretty :3

Damn, Magdalen IS beautiful, but the thing is, I don't think I'll get in .. So hard to get into as well and with Queens I feel like I have a chance. I also feel like Magdalene would be too work, no play, for me. I wanted to see Trinity and Oriel, Oriel was meant to be pretty :3

I know,it's difficult, but from reading about them all, Queen's stuck out to me and when I saw it, I knew it was right XD I hope you pick the right one :£ Do you actually like Oriel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manic_fuzz)
    Ooh, well whatever keeps you motivated! oh... code... doesn't sound like the most fun haha

trying to balance UCAS shizz / UKCAT shizz / A2 work (especially being i've missed 2 weeks) / French / further reading / as well as my excessive procrastination, tv watching, and going into town isn't proving the easiest of things ¬¬ i'm trying to decide which is my biggest priority but i think i've just settled on none of them
    This wouldn't be a good time to say I'm already on my holidays would it? =P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by candide)
    This wouldn't be a good time to say I'm already on my holidays would it? =P
    throws tempter-tantrum

naah, i only have a week left, it's not too bad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nightmare91)
    What a depressing thread Oh I hope none of us will have to post their feedback in the 2012 Oxbridge rejection thread..
    Indeed... Best of luck to us all!

(Original post by Banoffeepie16)
    Like most people, I also love Worcester It's unsuprising that it's the most oversubscribed college. I myself, am thinking about Hertford. They have a cat :emog:

I'm quite sure Worcester has some sort of pet, such as a cat. Maybe I'm just thinking of the plethora of ducks...

(Original post by fluteflute)
    Hmm, my college has special help for people doing STEP papers, but will definitely ask if I have any queries about the MAT (although the official answers seem quite good).

Yeah. Especially that post, because they talk about how good they were, but still only came 11th

I'm going to the UNIQ Summer School at Oxford, and a lot of the Computer Science people are staying at St John's. It's quite frustrating (I'm not staying there for the summer school) because but I think lots of CS people want, or will want, to apply there...
    Oh dear. You should apply anyway, you're probably academic enough to be pooled if necessary.

With luck we'll both land there for 2012 entry and we can be BEST MATES FOREVER AND EVER AND I WILL STALK YOU FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE.

On second thought, perhaps you should stay well away...

Though seriously I'm extremely excited about knowing people from TSR who will hopefully be future college-mates.

(Original post by dragonmeister)
    The thing trying to sell the EPQ to us quoted "LSE admissions tutor" as asking why someone hadn't done the EPQ despite their school offering it, but no-one there had any idea what it was - they need to try to tell more universities about it if they're going to increase numbers taking it
    Actually somewhere in the myriad of Oxford website pages I've read, Oxford (I think!) mentioned it was nice if you did the EP, to mention it in your PS, and went on to say a few things more about it...

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know (cough CS applicants) how to set up and/or find the RSS feed for Watched Threads on TSR? I refresh those subscriptions so much I'd rather have it just give me a notification in my bar... :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by punctuation)
    Does anyone know (cough CS applicants) how to set up and/or find the RSS feed for Watched Threads on TSR? I refresh those subscriptions so much I'd rather have it just give me a notification in my bar... :\
    I'm not sure as I'm a new user here but afaik, you can subscribe the RSS feed per forum (e.g. Uni of Oxford forum). if you see the feed icon on this page, when you click at it it's the feed for the Uni of Oxford forum.

this is directed to all: is there any pet in Oriel? I want to go there but I don't like animals so I might have a problem... :/

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it is possible unfortunately (look at this thread for example)

ReputationRep:
    Well, if someone wanted to create an email account and a blogger blog, watch this thread with emails being sent to this new account for each new post, and then have emails automatically forwarded to a blogger email posting address and then subscribe to the RSS on the blog then that would work.

Although it seems like a bit of work, and the feed would only give you a link to the newest blog post and who posted it, not the actual text. So it would just be an alert rather than an update.

ReputationRep:
    Also, when I spoke to the admissions tutors, they said they didn't give a crap about extra curricular. Having said that, we do have to apply for other universities that LIKE extra curricular so it has to go on our personal statement...Mine looks like **** to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by such_a_lady)
    Guys! I feel such a sense of achievement!! Not only did we register for UCAS today and fill out pretty much everything, but I finished my Personal Statement!!!!!! Obviously it's not the FINAL final version, I'm sending it to a gazillion teachers and subjecting it to the critical eyes of the TSR team, but still! It's still done, completely written without any gaps! And, guess what- 47 lines and 3999 characters

So, who else heard the Oxbridge story today? Does anyone here actually go to any of the schools mentioned?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-14069516
    Yeah I go to the only state school on the list, I don't know whether it is a good thing or a bad thing though.

ReputationRep:
    ergh... i swear i'm the only person who hasn't even started writing their personal statement yet, i'm so behind

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.