This discussion is closed.
helpme456
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Minnie me)
It's not positive feedback as once the of ovaries have been stimulated to release oestrogen, the stimulation being FSH. The oestrogen oestrogen which is released inhibits the release of FSH, this keeping the FSH concentration low to ensure no more follicles develop, thus this process is an example of negative feedback.

Hope you understand

Me.
(Original post by currydud)
FSH stimulates release of oestrogen BUT then oestrogen inhibits FSH.
if FSH stimulated the release of oestrogen and oestrogen stimulated the release of FSH and so on, this would be positive feedback
OK thanks guys
Minnie me
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by helpme456)
OK thanks guys

your welcome.
Me
currydud
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MLogan)
Its okay but lets hope i am right
fluorescent markers can be used in two ways, one way is the way you said and it can be used to show that the plasmid containing the desired has been taken up, when using this idea, the desired gene isnt placed in between the GFP gene and is placed somewhere else.
omidsassy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
im stressing so hard for this, had 78 in bio 4, i need a C/upperD and i can get an A, how hard is it to get a C on this?! reply would be appreciated guys..i need some reassurance
omidsassy
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
i mean get a B***
Fergy94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can someone explain Oestrogen and transcriptional factors to me please?
DELETED ACCOUNT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by MLogan)
Its okay but lets hope i am right
Well it really depends what you are using it for

If you're incorporating the gene in a substance you need, then the desired gene will fluoresce.
If you're incorporating the gene in a substance you don't need, then the desired gene will not fluoresce.

A Bio5 question can go both ways.
wrnicholls
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by omidsassy)
im stressing so hard for this, had 78 in bio 4, i need a C/upperD and i can get an A, how hard is it to get a C on this?! reply would be appreciated guys..i need some reassurance
You need reassurance when you have to get a D ?
miketree
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by omidsassy)
i mean get a B***
Do a paper in timed exam conditions, including essay, mark harshly, this will give you an indication.
Dedicated1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Fergy94)
Can someone explain Oestrogen and transcriptional factors to me please?
Oestrogen has a complementary shape to binding sites on transcriptional factors found in the cytoplasm of cells. When oestrogen diffuses into cells, it binds to receptors on transcriptional factors which causes it to change shape which means the binding site to DNA on the same transcriptional factor is exposed. Therefore the activated transcriptional factor diffuses into the nucleus and binds to DNA on the promoter region which allows DNA Polymerase to carry out transcription and the formation of pre-mRNA.
Fergy94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Dedicated1)
Oestrogen has a complementary shape to binding sites on transcriptional factors found in the cytoplasm of cells. When oestrogen diffuses into cells, it binds to receptors on transcriptional factors which causes it to change shape which means the binding site to DNA on the same transcriptional factor is exposed. Therefore the activated transcriptional factor diffuses into the nucleus and binds to DNA on the promoter region which allows DNA Polymerase to carry out transcription and the formation of pre-mRNA.
Can Oestrogen inhibit transcription aswell?
Dedicated1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is restriction mapping only carried out on bacteria since it involves cutting up a plasmid with a variety of different restriction enzymes and then sequencing it?
lifeisgood2012
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If an essay question came up on the following topics what would you write about?

1) importance of proteins
2) Importance of carbohydrates
3) Importance of ATP
4)Importance of water?
Dedicated1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I don't think so. I guess it can only be inhibited by a lack of oestrogen in your blood, so less diffuses into cells hence less transcriptional factors are activated.
F1's Finest
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I don't think so. I guess it can only be inhibited by a lack of oestrogen in your blood, so less diffuses into cells hence less transcriptional factors are activated.
Incorrect.

Oestrogen can act as a repressor or activator.

IT all depends on the on the type of the target cell and the target gene.

The question in the exam will tell you which one of the two, oestrogen acts as.
rommy123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
really stuck with DNA technology, wondering if anyone has any good notes on so i can understand it better? Thanks in advance
Dedicated1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Is restriction mapping only carried out on bacteria since it involves cutting up a plasmid with a variety of different restriction enzymes and then sequencing it?
Can any one answer this?
mj.x
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
any predictions for the synoptic essay? =)
starfish232
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I have some questions about the June 2012 paper:
1. Q3b9(ii)- The mark scheme says 'Ovulation prevented /
egg/ovum not released' and 'Follicle not stimulated /
ripened / does not grow;' - I wrote what FSH and LH do and then wrote that they wouldn't be able to do this as a result of the progesterone. - would I still get the 2 marks rewarded for this?
2. Q6b9i0 - the answer i wrote was that 'food may be eaten causing increase in blood glucose concentration so not measured at normal concentration higher than normal' - would this get a mark?

http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...W-MS-JUN12.PDF
http://web.alfretongrange.derbyshire...5-QP-Jun12.pdf
DELETED ACCOUNT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lifeisgood2012)
If an essay question came up on the following topics what would you write about?

1) importance of proteins
2) Importance of carbohydrates
3) Importance of ATP
4)Importance of water?
Importance of proteins
Spoiler:
Show

Vaccinations and immunity (Antibody-antigen complexes).
Phagocytosis (hydrolytic enzymes break down the pathogen to form a phagocytic vacuole) and how T lymphocytes are involved.
Digestive enzymes- lowers activation energy of the break down of maltose, lactose, sucrose into respective monomers
Monomers can be absorbed. Discuss how they are absorbed? Through carrier proteins (facilitated diffusion), co-transport (glucose-sodium pump)
The importance of rubsico (enzymes are proteins) in the light independant reaction. The protein is located in the stroma
Transcription/ Translation, mutation results in a non-functional protein or a tumour
Histones are proteins which hold the chromosomes in place, DNA wounds around histones etc,
Glycoproteins and how they act as biosensors
Insulin is a protein, its produced by beta cells in the pancreas (islets of Langerhans), lowers glucose levels (glycogenesis)
Glucagon is a protein, increases glucose levels, prduce by alpha cells (glycognolysis, gluconeogenesis)
Actin/ Myosin is a protein filament. The role of actin/myosin in muscle contraction (sliding filament mechanism)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (65)
65.66%
No I haven't decided yet (21)
21.21%
Yes but I might change my mind (13)
13.13%

Watched Threads