Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thinkthings)
    Hi! Since you're one of the few LSE law applicants I know of on this board, did you hear anything from LSE today?
    Hey, yeah I did hear from LSE today. I received the 'your application is one of the strongest in this admissions cycle' email.

Still no decision - but I guess it's a step forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President M.E.)
    What course was this for? This got me worried :eek:
    Law!

I assume I should anyway be happy, since so many people have already been rejected and, as they say, until you are rejected everything is OK. But what does it mean? I guess this is the first email like this I have heard of.

I am Italian btw, probably is something related to international students with no "well known" diploma such as IB or Baccalaureate...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Htx3)
    ME TOO!!!! I guess you are Chinese as well?
    yep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QuestionsQ)
    Hey, yeah I did hear from LSE today. I received the 'your application is one of the strongest in this admissions cycle' email.

Still no decision - but I guess it's a step forward.
    Hey there!

Just quoting you to know your opinion about the email I got ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Caesar95)
    That's crazy!

I got the "strongest application", then after 53 minutes:

We previously sent you an email regarding an update on your application in error. We apologise for this and have provided you with the correct update below.

I am writing with further information on your application to study at LSE.

I am pleased to tell you that, following a thorough assessment of your application, our Admissions Selector has decided that your application is being considered further.

When assessing an application such as yours, we need a little more time to assess you against other candidates in your cohort. Therefore, we would like to consider your application alongside all other similar applications in a fair and proper manner with the aim of informing you of the outcome of our assessment by the beginning of February 2014 at the latest.

For less than one hour I was "one of the strongest", now... they don't even describe me
    shah
    You're a law applicant too? Sorry to be annoying but how many weeks past your 5-week email were you at?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thinkthings)
    You're a law applicant too? Sorry to be annoying but how many weeks past your 5-week email were you at?
    I got the 5 weeks one on October 15th.

ReputationRep:
    Rejection to IR and history on the basis of current qualifications (international), in spite of stating I'm improving my qualifications by adding an extra three modules. So I'll investigate further. Want some justification, as I'd meet their requirements after my three modules. Still alive for straight IR though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    A quick question, how significant is the "stongest app" email? Does it mean you will probably get an offer?

ReputationRep:
    Law!

I assume I should anyway be happy, since so many people have already been rejected and, as they say, until you are rejected everything is OK. But what does it mean? I guess this is the first email like this I have heard of.

I am Italian btw, probably is something related to international students with no "well known" diploma such as IB or Baccalaureate...
    Yes, especially since Law is such a competitive subject, and as long as you're not rejected, you're still in the running

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Portia1993)
    Sadly I refuse to accept it was my Personal Statement tbh - How many other people that applied (bearing in mind they're mostly 17/ just turning 18) can say they've organised campaigns etc
    *sigh*
    I speak about politics so much I drive my friends crazy more often than not :')
    Alas, Westminster and Queen Mary have accepted me & Westminster offer placements in government and such :3
    Every cloud aye!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry about the LSE rejection, it obviously just wasn't meant to be. This time next year when you're happy wherever you end up you'll be pleased that it didn't work out I remember you originally applied for the same course as me, is there any chance you could message me your PS? Everyone so far who has been rejected has been told it was their PS (think that's just a generic answer) and I'm curious to see what they deem "not compelling enough" as I'm sure yours was good. I got my 5 week email 8 weeks ago now and I'm slightly concerned about it haha! No worries if not hope I've not offended you or anything by asking!

ReputationRep:
    That's crazy!

I got the "strongest application", then after 53 minutes:

We previously sent you an email regarding an update on your application in error. We apologise for this and have provided you with the correct update below.

I am writing with further information on your application to study at LSE.

I am pleased to tell you that, following a thorough assessment of your application, our Admissions Selector has decided that your application is being considered further.

When assessing an application such as yours, we need a little more time to assess you against other candidates in your cohort. Therefore, we would like to consider your application alongside all other similar applications in a fair and proper manner with the aim of informing you of the outcome of our assessment by the beginning of February 2014 at the latest.

For less than one hour I was "one of the strongest", now... they don't even describe me
    shah
    I wouldn't read to much into it. I honestly know nothing about their admissions process, so it's not really my place to comment. From these emails, one might infer that they're using some kind of 'band' system where they're placing us into different groups.

But, yeah - don't try and second guess their process. It might be because you have different/ unusual qualifications, it might be that your personal statement wasn't quite up to the highest standard, it might even be because of the date you sent your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Portia1993)
    Sadly I refuse to accept it was my Personal Statement tbh - How many other people that applied (bearing in mind they're mostly 17/ just turning 18) can say they've organised campaigns etc
    *sigh*
    I speak about politics so much I drive my friends crazy more often than not :')
    Alas, Westminster and Queen Mary have accepted me & Westminster offer placements in government and such :3
    Every cloud aye!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree with you. I find it far fetched that they'd reject me based on qualifications I have (which are strong, just not enough modules) and the ones I'll take in May to satisfy their requirements, and take 17 year olds who's best qualifications are "predicted".
    I was accepted to QM. Didn't apply to Westminster. Which one you reckon you'd choose? Did you apply to king's?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    rejection from Government on the basis of my PS.
    However have an interview at Cambridge, and two other offers? Am I delusional?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by President M.E.)
    A quick question, how significant is the "stongest app" email? Does it mean you will probably get an offer?
    I haven't received the email but I feel it's the gathering pool. They don't explicitly say it but if you read between the lines it makes sense. You're a strong candidate and they want to hold your application to compare against the rest of the cohort. That sounds like a gathering pool to me.

Then again people received offers without that email so they are most likely the exceptional candidates who are above and beyond their cohort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silonthesofa)
    I agree with you. I find it far fetched that they'd reject me based on qualifications I have (which are strong, just not enough modules) and the ones I'll take in May to satisfy their requirements, and take 17 year olds who's best qualifications are "predicted". Hate to say it, but i can't help but think it had a little to do with my age (22) and possibly even my nationality (Israeli). Hope it's not the case, but I do know that LSE is one of the most pro Palestinian universities in the UK.
    I was accepted to QM. Didn't apply to Westminster. Which one you reckon you'd choose? Did you apply to king's?
    http://electronicintifada.net/conten...-machine/10911
    Really? Ridiculous to assume they rejected you because of your nationality, LSE has one of (if not the) most diverse student populations in the world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yazzsams)
    LSE is a maverick. They play by their own rules. What can you do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Law-Hopeful)
    http://electronicintifada.net/conten...-machine/10911
    Really? Ridiculous to assume they rejected you because of your nationality, LSE has one of (if not the) most diverse student populations in the world.
    Lol to the source. I did not assume, I stated it as a possibility which I hope isn't the case. Are we okay now, cupcake?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yazzsams)
    LSE is arguably harder to get into than Oxbridge - I think they roughly receive 17500 applications to only 1200 places - those ratios are insane and cutthroat! Not to mention that they don't view your academic work nor any additional supporting documents that might give you the edge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NedStark)
    I haven't received the email but I feel it's the gathering pool. They don't explicitly say it but if you read between the lines it makes sense. You're a strong candidate and they want to hold your application to compare against the rest of the cohort. That sounds like a gathering pool to me.

Then again people received offers without that email so they are most likely the exceptional candidates who are above and beyond their cohort.
    Then what about my email? Is it a gathering pool too? They don't even mention that i am one of the strongest, but if I weren't, then they would have rejected me, wouldn't they?

(Original post by QuestionsQ)
    I wouldn't read to much into it. I honestly know nothing about their admissions process, so it's not really my place to comment. From these emails, one might infer that they're using some kind of 'band' system where they're placing us into different groups.

But, yeah - don't try and second guess their process. It might be because you have different/ unusual qualifications, it might be that your personal statement wasn't quite up to the highest standard, it might even be because of the date you sent your application.
    Quite strange anyway. Does your email say that you're going to hear from them in 4 weeks?

ReputationRep:
    Lol to the source.
    Nice counterargument. You applied for a Law degree, right?

I did not assume, I stated it as a possibility which I hope isn't the case. Are we okay now, cupcake?
    And I was merely informing you that that is wrong.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.