Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Arsenal Thread XV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    Can that really offset the fact that they've won no trophies in 8 years though?
    Tbh I'd rather be in the Champions League every year for 16 years, than be a Wigan fan right about now. Wigan fans probably don't give a **** about the F.A. Cup now - they're lamenting the inevitability of Championship football.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EmperorMustard)
    I think we've overachieved in the league and under achieved in the cups since 2003 (Emirates project beginning). Not surprising though, Wenger always seems to prioritise the league and I think rightly so.
    I think the league cup is just a reason to play youth, Fa cup is a bit of fun. The 2 trophy that are important are the league and the CL, I would rather watch Arsenal play in the group stages of the CL knowing we were gonna be knocked out at the round of 16 than not make the CL and win the FA cup tbh. Nothing beats Champions league nights, with the music and everyhing

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, hopefully with this project forming arsenal will be able to challenge for silverware, AVB left porto at the wrong time, took the wrong job as well. Bar that tottenham :sogood: it wasn't even a crumble which makes it worse, 26 points from 30 is ridiculous, although tbh you had easy fixtures and were expected to get 25 out of the 26 points you got.

I've always defended wenger to the core this season, after last season it's obvious that wenger should be there as long as he wants to be, there's no other man who is better suited to arsenal's position right now. We'll see next season, we'll have to see which players you get too. I think arsene has successfully made arsenal into a new level in world football, while it doesn't seem that way with the trophies the past 8 years, what he has built is a platform for the future, to make arsenal into the man uniteds, the bayerns, the barcelona's, the milans, the inters, the juve's.

Could be playing better football though. But at least arsenal are grinding results out nicely, now if you could do that in a cup competition... A final thing I noticed is that arsenal did not win a single game against the teams that went above them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spontogical)
    Tbh I'd rather be in the Champions League every year for 16 years, than be a Wigan fan right about now. Wigan fans probably don't give a **** about the F.A. Cup now - they're lamenting the inevitability of Championship football.
    Nah almost certainly not, the championship is a great league and more their level, cheaper tickets, don't have to watch them get bashed every week, could actually compete for the league, had their big day at Wembley that will go down as one of the biggest upsets ever I don't think they will mind

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TH3-FL45H)
    Think city will come 4th/5th next year

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol, not happening.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    If the likes of City and Chelsea didn't exist, Arsenal, I'm sure, would have won a trophy by now. Not only do they price arsenal out of top players but they inflate the wages and transfer value of players as well and they assemble teams of of foreign superstars which dominate the league and other competitions. Tbh I thought people would be praising Arsenal for trying to move the club forwards the "proper" way but were mocked for it while Chelsea and City are celebrated for corrupting English football

Edit
    We're not starting this argument again and tbh I don't care about what you're saying.

Anyway like I said before, well done for the acheivement, but if you're telling me that chelsea and city are the reason you lost to bradford, birmingham and blackburn(especially when you were in the final in 2011 so had no problem with 'sacrificing your league position' and were in a fairly advanced stage of the league cup and FA cup this year) there is no excuse, don't bother trying to make excuses for it as there are none.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)
    Nah almost certainly not, the championship is a great league and more their level, cheaper tickets, don't have to watch them get bashed every week, could actually compete for the league, had their big day at Wembley that will go down as one of the biggest upsets ever I don't think they will mind
    I agree tbh, they've already been in the prem for 8 years so it's not like their fans haven't experienced enough of it plus days like the one against City is what they'll more likely remember, they have a chance to come back up next year anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    We're not starting this argument again and tbh I don't care about what you're saying.

Anyway like I said before, well done for the acheivement, but if you're telling me that chelsea and city are the reason you lost to bradford, birmingham and blackburn(especially when you were in the final in 2011 so had no problem with 'sacrificing your league position' and were in a fairly advanced stage of the league cup and FA cup this year) there is no excuse, don't bother trying to make excuses for it as there are none.
    Wenger has had to buy inferior players because of the lack of funds. We fielded our strong teams in all those games and still lost because the players aren't good enough in terms of quality and mental strength.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    Wenger has had to buy inferior players because of the lack of funds. We fielded our strong teams in all those games and still lost because the players aren't good enough in terms of quality and mental strength.
    :facepalm2: I've got an exam to revise for tomorrow. Who knew that league 2 teams and championship teams have more quality and mental strength than arsenal? Or a prem team that gets sent to the championship has more mental strength than arsenal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsong)

(Original post by Multitalented me)
    I agree tbh, they've already been in the prem for 8 years so it's not like their fans haven't experienced enough of it plus days like the one against City is what they'll more likely remember, they have a chance to come back up next year anyway.
    You two have got to be joking? I experienced my team win the Championship comfortably, not losing a single game at home, and trust me I'd have cried if we'd been relegated this season - yes it's a decent league but I'd take Premiership football over an FA cup, maybe that isn't the way it should be, but I share that opinion with thousands of people.

The whole 'Arsenal haven't won a trophy in so long' debate is so dull too, it's clear to ****ing everyone that their performance in the domestic cups has been shocking, but at the same time this has definitely been off-setted their fantastic achievements in the league, in the long run qualifying for the CL season after season is going to pay dividends.

ReputationRep:
    if we lived in a world where club were not financed externally it would be the same old boring teams dominating football year after year with no hope of ever breaking that barrier. Tbh city and chelsea are bad for arsenal but bring more excitement.

ReputationRep:
    :lol: at Shearer and Lineker trying desperately hard to put a negative spin on today's result.

Shearer pissed he's been proven wrong

ReputationRep:
    Shearer comes across so bitter on motd. Predicting we will miss top4 for weeks now then when we prove him wrong he has a tantrum about the players celebrating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    :facepalm2: I've got an exam to revise for tomorrow. Who knew that league 2 teams and championship teams have more quality and mental strength than arsenal? Or a prem team that gets sent to the championship has more mental strength than arsenal.
    At both games arsenal were poor at our best we would have seen them off , we lacked the determination and confidence for a win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gob Bluth)
    Shearer hates Arsenal. Is there a reason for this? He's always very blatant about it, really funny :lol:
    During the George Graham era Arsenal were quite unpopular because of the defensive style of football so I think lots of people in their 40s/50s still resent Arsenal. Try not to get into the parania that alot of football fans have, but I've always thought the media are very quick to kick Arsenal when we're down generally.

Adams and Shearer had a fairly big rivalry to be England captain back in the day as well and I remember reading that they didnt particularly like each other so that might explain it as well.

ReputationRep:
    Arsenal unbeaten in last 18 Premier League games when Mertesacker & Koscielny have started at CB (P18 W11 D7 L0 A13)

Wow.

ReputationRep:
    We should buy the Gorilla.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheInvincibles14)
    Arsenal unbeaten in last 18 Premier League games when Mertesacker & Koscielny have started at CB (P18 W11 D7 L0 A13)

Wow.
    EPIC!!! Although KOS and Verm could also work just as well

ReputationRep:
    What did we do to make shearer angry? he sounded so bitter on MOTM! 'the players acting like they've won a trophy' etc

ReputationRep:
    spurs fans calling Newcastle united '****ing barcodes' :rofl:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.