Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone applying for English?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Congrats on that remark :king1::awesome:

Oxford doesn't have an official form as such for extenuating circumstances, so it's best that your school makes the situation clear in the reference :yes:
    They didn't. It's already been sent off. I'm just going to have to suck it up and deal with it. I should have addressed it in my PS, but I didn't want to seem as though I was attempting to justify my poor time management. The ommission has spurred me on to ensure that other parts of my UCAS excel.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smithy-Smiths)
    They didn't. It's already been sent off. I'm just going to have to suck it up and deal with it. I should have addressed it in my PS, but I didn't want to seem as though I was attempting to justify my poor time management. The ommission has spurred me on to ensure that other parts of my PS excel.
    If it's something that someone else, e.g. a medical professional, can flag up on your behalf, you can always have that person write directly to the college you have applied to, explaining the situation, if necessary :yes:
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    Congrats on that remark :king1::awesome:

Oxford doesn't have an official form as such for extenuating circumstances, so it's best that your school makes the situation clear in the reference :yes:
    We agree that the school reference is the best place for this - indeed, we would seek corroboration if a PS mentioned extenuating circumstances but a reference did not.

Brasenose and the other colleges also accept letters from UCAS referees or a candidate's school documenting extenuating circumstances and factors affecting performance. For general information, we write to the schools of all conditional offer holders explaining what to do in the event that an offer-holder experiences ill-health or other compelling circumstances in the run-up to end of stage exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smithy-Smiths)
    They didn't. It's already been sent off. I'm just going to have to suck it up and deal with it. I should have addressed it in my PS, but I didn't want to seem as though I was attempting to justify my poor time management. The ommission has spurred me on to ensure that other parts of my UCAS excel.
    It doesn't belong in the PS.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studdybuddy101)
    Ah well I did History, English and Media so lets see what they say . But the other day a lecturer from Brasenose said it really doesn't matter as long as the subject is 50% exam. She gave drama as an example and said it was a great subject to choose to complement a-level.
    We can corroborate this - drama has been offered at A-level by candidates wishing to read English and the selectors welcome such applications.

In passing, we can't help observing that quite a few students are back early before Term starts and have booked out rooms for play rehearsals. So it rather looks as though Brasenose's thespians are picking up from where they left off last year:

https://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/about-brase...rld-in-80-days
    http://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/about-brasen...-theatre-drama
    http://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/about-brasen...-drama-cuppers

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'd like to submit an open application however I've been told that it would be better if I picked a college. Is it true ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamara98)
    Hi guys, I'd like to submit an open application however I've been told that it would be better if I picked a college. Is it true ?
    Making an open application won't affect your chances of getting in – your application will be treated the same as people who applied directly to the college you're allocated to.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamara98)
    It's only true in the sense that it means you could end up anywhere, which you might not want if you've got a specific preference (e.g. a modern college or a small college). If you don't mind about that then it's fine, it won't disadvantage you in any way.

ReputationRep:
    GCSE grades: 11A* 1A
    A-Levels: AAAA Predicted: A*A*A*
    Course: English Language and Literature
    College St Catherines
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs: 3A*s, 5As equiv
    Scottish Highers: AABBC
    Scottish Advanced Highers: BCD (extenuating circs, failed coursework element for C and D)
    One year A-levels (predicted): A*A*A
    Subjects: Maths, Further Maths and Economics
    College: St Anne's
    Course: MCompSci Computer Science

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do Oxford see how many people from any given school have got into Oxbridge in recent years. My school got nobody into either this year (2014/15) and I am curious to know whether Oxford see this information.
    Also I am hoping to send off my application for History and Politics tomorrow. Good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxReid)
    Do Oxford see how many people from any given school have got into Oxbridge in recent years. My school got nobody into either this year (2014/15) and I am curious to know whether Oxford see this information.
    Also I am hoping to send off my application for History and Politics tomorrow. Good luck everyone!
    Will it be in your favour if no one got into Oxbridge from your school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for Maths at Oxford. I have been predicted:Maths - A*Further Maths - A*Chemistry - A*Physics - AWould the prediction of an A and not an A* in physics harm my chances?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inert1a)
    I am applying for Maths at Oxford. I have been predicted:Maths - A*Further Maths - A*Chemistry - A*Physics - AWould the prediction of an A and not an A* in physics harm my chances?
    No

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n.safar4)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I assume it doesn't make a difference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n.safar4)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Would it undermine you application if your school regularly sends large numbers to Oxford?

Or would one be seen on one's own merits?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magnesium)
    Ah I see, did you manage to include your extenuating circumstances in your application? I think as long as you ace the MAT and interview, they might overlook those grades anyway because you're showing your hardworking plus you're predicted amazing grades and you can show off all your skills at interview!

I'm taking Maths, Further Maths, Chem and Econ. I got 5As last year and I'm predicted A*A*A*A this year with 12A*s 2As at GCSE.

Mine still hasn't been sent off yet :eek: So many of my friends have got Warwick offers already!
    Warwick offers?

ReputationRep:
    GCSE grades: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AA
    IB: 45 (Predicted)
    Course: Computer Science and Philosophy
    College: Hertford College

Really hope that I get in.
    Got an offer from Warwick today, so hope the others go well too!
    Just got to kill the MAT!

ReputationRep:
    Sent off my application for History and Politics at Trinity College.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.