Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fsds56)
    Does anyone now the latest date at which you can allow the fast stream to contact your current employer? I haven't decided if I an going to take the job yet and if I do, I don't want to spend the next 6 months with everyone knowing that I am going to be leaving. Any ideas?
    I asked someone in HR to do my reference so it would be kept confidential. My reference for my current employer has been done but my line manager and my team don't know I have another job.

You can email parity and change the contact for you reference.

ReputationRep:
    This may be a silly question but if you are accepted onto HR I have heard that you complete a preference form (in regards to the type of department and location). At this point are you given a list of eligible departments?

ReputationRep:
    Back to the waiting game I guess...

ReputationRep:
    When is the last FSAC for round 1 applicants?

I'm confused as to how there will be a sift in April as I thought that round 1 FSACs finished at the end of March?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by V2015)
    Back to the waiting game I guess...
    Do you know if anyone heard anything today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rm436)
    Do you know if anyone heard anything today?
    I doubt it I'm sure they would have posted.
    So annoying they keep changing the week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenGN)
    This may be a silly question but if you are accepted onto HR I have heard that you complete a preference form (in regards to the type of department and location). At this point are you given a list of eligible departments?
    I've been accepted onto HR and have had no such form. I was accepted a month ago and have done all the forms for the pre-appointment checks, so if that form does exist it must come further down the line. And I'd be surprised if you were given the list of departments with openings - I'd expect that you could express a preference concerning location but that's about it.

Are you applying for HR? And how far through the process are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by V2015)
    I doubt it I'm sure they would have posted.
    So annoying they keep changing the week
    Itll definitely be early next week though. Just try to relax and enjoy the weekend!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rm436)
    Itll definitely be early next week though. Just try to relax and enjoy the weekend!
    You too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grownupfrog)
    I've been accepted onto HR and have had no such form. I was accepted a month ago and have done all the forms for the pre-appointment checks, so if that form does exist it must come further down the line. And I'd be surprised if you were given the list of departments with openings - I'd expect that you could express a preference concerning location but that's about it.

Are you applying for HR? And how far through the process are you?

Thank you for getting back to me

It said about the HR Placement form within the HR FAQ when you click on the 'i' to the left of the HRF Job Placement section in the application.

I have my FASC on Tuesday so was just wishful thinking about the next stage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rm436)
    You say 'definitely'...

(Sorry!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenGN)
    Thank you for getting back to me

It said about the HR Placement form within the HR FAQ when you click on the 'i' to the left of the HRF Job Placement section in the application.

I have my FASC on Tuesday so was just wishful thinking about the next stage
    I filled in that form and there was no space for stating preferences. Sorry to burst that bubble! Fingers crossed for a good FSAC outcome, let us know when you get your results!

ReputationRep:
    I filled in that form and there was no space for stating preferences. Sorry to burst that bubble! Fingers crossed for a good FSAC outcome, let us know when you get your results!
    Ah never mind! Thank you, I will do

ReputationRep:
    You say 'definitely'...

(Sorry!)
    Haha yes, it's probably wishful thinking!!

ReputationRep:
    What are the benefits of attending the SDIP and then applying to the FCO Fast Stream, or any fast stream for that matter?

For those that did the SDIP prior to applying for the grad schemes, did you converse with anyone during your internship about whether or not doing the internship had put you at an advantage.

I am aware you are anonymous prior to successfully passing the online tests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IvanGray)
    What are the benefits of attending the SDIP and then applying to the FCO Fast Stream, or any fast stream for that matter?

For those that did the SDIP prior to applying for the grad schemes, did you converse with anyone during your internship about whether or not doing the internship had put you at an advantage.

I am aware you are anonymous prior to successfully passing the online tests.
    We don't get any advantage, they don't take into account at any of the stages that we did the SDIP. Everything is anonymous. The only help we get is extra practices, so they give us practice tests and give us info about each of the stages. It's very helpful but isn't something that anyone else would be unable to find for themselves. Prior to the FSAC we could go to the assessment centre and have a presentation on the FSAC, but again, it was all info you can find yourself if you look hard enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rm436)
    We don't get any advantage, they don't take into account at any of the stages that we did the SDIP. Everything is anonymous. The only help we get is extra practices, so they give us practice tests and give us info about each of the stages. It's very helpful but isn't something that anyone else would be unable to find for themselves. Prior to the FSAC we could go to the assessment centre and have a presentation on the FSAC, but again, it was all info you can find yourself if you look hard enough.
    I am assuming you have done the SDIP, how did you find it and what department were you allocated?

Do you feel you gained something invaluable to further assist you in your application for FastStream, for example the assessment center policy exercise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IvanGray)
    I am assuming you have done the SDIP, how did you find it and what department were you allocated?

Do you feel you gained something invaluable to further assist you in your application for FastStream, for example the assessment center policy exercise.
    I was in the Department for Communities and Local Government, and I absolutely loved the whole experience. I was able to take part in loads of activities outside of my day to day work, and by the end I had experiences of so many different parts of the government. The work itself was also really interesting, and the whole thing is centred around your development. It was overall an amazing experience.

Yes, it's been invaluable. If it wasn't for the SDIP I wouldn't have had a shot at passing the FSAC. I fact, I don't think I would have got to the FSAC. The support they give you through the stages is really fantastic and from my work at DCLG I generally have a really good understanding of what they look for in a fast streamer and a civil servant. After the internship you are meant to go onto apply to the fast stream so the experience is tailored to help you in the application process. Basically, if you want to get into the fast stream and are eligible for the SDIP, I couldn't recommend it more.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard anything today????

ReputationRep:
    If applying for statistics I'd recommend just going down the GSS route over Fast Stream. The pay is better and even though promotion might take a little longer, in reality if you're good enough it won't make a difference. It also doesn't involve an Assessment Centre so if you hate that and want to avoid that I'd recommend it more so :ninja:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.