This discussion is closed.
Lúcio
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SirAlexFerguson)
Imagine Martial doing this again:

I think it'll be a close game, I think we'll play - DDG - Young Smalling Blind Darmian - Schneiderlin Fellaini (apparantly Carrick and Schwein are both out) - Mata Herrera Martial - Rooney at CF
That was quality but Benteke's was in a whole new level.

Difeo's right; Mata will probably have his random game of excellence.
DDG will save 4 one on ones and Mignolet will make several fatal errors.

Your quality is much higher than ours although on our day we can match any team in the league.
Tomasio
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Liverpool showed far more quality vs arsenal than you lot have shown at any point this season, largely due to Klopp>LVG. If pool show up I think United will get a good humping. From a gooner.
WeOnlyLiveOnce
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
We can't afford to lose tomorrow. We'll fall even further behind the current top and especially fall 5 points behind Spurs. Leicester have drawn today and although it's looking like they wont fall off yet, we need to be ready when they do fall apart so winning here would bring us 7 points off Leicester and 2 off Spurs.

If we get thumped, then van Gaal has to walk. He should have gone much earlier so i guess he'd still get time til the end of the season. Losing to Liverpool is unbearable, getting thumped by them is just :eek:
Mo De Lemone
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Reckon we'll get torn a new one. Expect more high intensity from Liverpool that was shown against Arsenal and i don't think we can handle it. I think it will be a repeat of what happened against Arsenal due to our lack of an actual functioning midfield but hope i'm proven wrong.
WeOnlyLiveOnce
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mo De Lemone)
Reckon we'll get torn a new one. Expect more high intensity from Liverpool that was shown against Arsenal and i don't think we can handle it. I think it will be a repeat of what happened against Arsenal due to our lack of an actual functioning midfield but hope i'm proven wrong.
That's exactly how i'm feeling but Liverpool pressing high up can help us counter attack (which we've shown to good effect the past 3 games) and allows us space in behind their injury hit defence which can be exploited by Martial, Memphis (i expect him to start after 2 consecutive bright displays from the bench) and Rooney.

I expect the line up to be:
Obvious
Young Smalling Blind Darmian
Schneiderlin Bastian
Martial Herrera Memphis
Rooney

If Bastian isnt fit, then i'd play Herrera alongside Schneiderlin with Rooney in the number, Martial up top and Mata RW.
However, you just know Fellani is going to start ffs.
Dirtybit
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Fellaini will start. Our team is built around him.
sevchenko
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mo De Lemone)
Major different between Arsenal and United is that United have a solid midfield paring which results in defensive stability, solid shape and better control of the midfield. Arsenal don't have this, Ramsey and Flamini don't have the ability to maintain defensive stability and control like Santi and Coq did. We never had control of the midfield at Anfield and it a big reason why they had so much joy directly in front of our area and why their pressing was so effective at times .

Van Gaal's highly regimented organised tactics is actually the best way to deal with Klopp's high pressing and intensity instead of trading blows with them with series of counter attacks and counter high pressing in a very open game like Arsenal did.

Whenever United have opened up they've tended to be much more effective in the attacking sense but the trade off is that you lose the defensive stability and conceded avoidable goals. imo It's best for United to have a defensive mindset from the start and take the intensity out of the match so the Liverpool players/fans/Manager can't feed off the natural energy of a big match. Control the midfield
mojojojo101
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sevchenko)
Major different between Arsenal and United is that United have a solid midfield paring which results in defensive stability, solid shape and better control of the midfield. Arsenal don't have this, Ramsey and Flamini don't have the ability to maintain defensive stability and control like Santi and Coq did. We never had control of the midfield at Anfield and it a big reason why they had so much joy directly in front of our area and why their pressing was so effective at times .

Van Gaal's highly regimented organised tactics is actually the best way to deal with Klopp's high pressing and intensity instead of trading blows with them with series of counter attacks and counter high pressing in a very open game like Arsenal did.

Whenever United have opened up they've tended to be much more effective in the attacking sense but the trade off is that you lose the defensive stability and conceded avoidable goals. imo It's best for United to have a defensive mindset from the start and take the intensity out of the match so the Liverpool players/fans/Manager can't feed off the natural energy of a big match. Control the midfield
This. If we are going to win tomorrow we have to start by taking the pace out of the game so it stays a mild mannered, slow, dare I say it, boring affair. If the pace of the game stays high and we lose our heads (as we have been prone to doing a lot over van Gaals tenure) then we will play straight into Liverpools hands and end up on the side of a real battering
Kenan and Kel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It's probably going to be the same team that started vs Newcastle. Only possible change is Mata for Lingard.
qasidb
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Losing tomorrow is a lose-lose situation. Obviously there's the matter of losing against Liverpool but also that LVG will still remain as manager regardless.
Woodward is firmly entrenched inside LVG and he won't be sacked unless top 4 becomes mathematically impossible imo.

Unless maybe if we have a humiliating 4-0 loss. Even then, only maybe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aky786UK
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Don't see Depay starting tomorrow,for the good things he's done off the bench, he's also been poor defensively so we should let him come off the bench if needed. Fellani starting tomorrow makes sense from an aerial perspective but not deeper. Rooney to score in a draw, 2-2

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kenan and Kel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by qasidb)
Losing tomorrow is a lose-lose situation. Obviously there's the matter of losing against Liverpool but also that LVG will still remain as manager regardless.
Woodward is firmly entrenched inside LVG and he won't be sacked unless top 4 becomes mathematically impossible imo.

Unless maybe if we have a humiliating 4-0 loss. Even then, only maybe.

Posted from TSR Mobile
**** outta here with that ****. Now beating Liverpool at Anfield is a loss. **** off.
difeo
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by zKlown)
Can confirm

Thoughts on the above?
He's no Morgan Schneiderlin
jam277
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kenan and Kel)
**** outta here with that ****. Now beating Liverpool at Anfield is a loss. **** off.
You read his post wrong bro.
qasidb
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Kenan and Kel)
What? Beating Liverpool at Anfield is a major win. I'm just saying if we were to lose, there would be 2 negatives:
1. The actual loss against Liverpool which would especially be difficult to stomach
2. LVG would still remain manager anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Kenan and Kel
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh. Still.
difeo
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Kenan's just keen to counter negativity
Dirtybit
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Man's high
WalkingAbortion
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
no idea what to expect today. will Van Gaal stick with the style of play that got us 3 goals against Newcastle or revert to boring possession play? I hope the former but I fear the latter.
sr90
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Lúcio)
That was quality but Benteke's was in a whole new level.

Difeo's right; Mata will probably have his random game of excellence.
DDG will save 4 one on ones and Mignolet will make several fatal errors.

Your quality is much higher than ours although on our day we can match any team in the league.
Will you disappear for a week again if Liverpool lose today?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (118)
63.44%
No (68)
36.56%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise