Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

The Official Cambridge Offer Holders Thread 2016 Entry MK II

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newblood)
    whoevers sending this stuff from FOI is just lazy and making stuff up.

The summerpool figures dont even agree with the Cambridge apply stats. Its all BS
    Well both the Trinity FOI and the University admissions office FOI report that someone was let in through the summer pool in 2014, having acheived U,3 in STEP.

(Original post by Forecast)
    They originally received an offer from Trinity but it was Peterhouse who let them in through the summer pool. (page 7: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...and%20data.pdf)

Just remember folks, no one piece of information is ever considered in isolation and no particular weighting is applied to anything! /s
    Prsom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    So many sorry to say *****er candidates with 2,2 and 1,3 getting in over kids who got 1,1 and even S,1 it is just ridiculous. Moral of the story don't apply to trinty and make sure you meet ur offer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Affirmative action bullsh*t, or just connections. Either way that sh*t is f*cked up.

ReputationRep:
    newblood is it true you are Mathmo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newblood)
    Lol and some guy with a 11 offer got 11 but rejected. What a diss
    I haven't d/checked the data but are we sure they were rejected, rather than them declining to take the place. Perhaps they went to MIT instead or something...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)
    Affirmative action bullsh*t, or just connections. Either way that sh*t is f*cked up.
    Itd be nice to see a load of parody specsavers adverts with the slogan "Should've applied to King's"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    I haven't d/checked the data but are we sure they were rejected, rather than them declining to take the place. Perhaps they went to MIT instead or something...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The data has one person saying 'deckined the offer' so i think it has distinguished between them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It says "Declined" if they have declined their place on that specific FOI. I know what you mean, and that's why on PM's FOI there are a few SS applicants who were allegedly rejected, but they have probably just declined their place. However, for that FOI you can see one person's place says "Declined" on the column for acceptances.

ReputationRep:
    newblood is it true you are Mathmo
    Yh he is

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yh he is

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Did he just finish IA?

ReputationRep:
    Did he just finish IA?
    Yep.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yep.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought he was STEP tbh. Which college is he?

ReputationRep:
    Or extenuating circumstances. Or a combination of all three.

Maybe a black orphan who was adopted by the DOS, who is now a transgender lesbian, who lost her eyesight days before her exams?

ReputationRep:
    I thought he was STEP tbh. Which college is he?
    Sidney suss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)

Maybe a black orphan who was adopted by the DOS, who is now a transgender lesbian, who lost her eyesight days before her exams?
    Extenuating circumstances aren't bullsh*t. It makes sense to take applicants who have underperformed by a bit due to circumstances in their lives which have 100% affected their performance. This would mean that they would perform better when they are in Cambridge, as the environment would be more suitable for them. I would choose a 11 over 1S if the 11 had extenuating circumstances, as it meant he was able to combat through them better.

However, affirmative action that benefits black, transgender retards is complete bullsh*t since a "black, transgender retard" would do as badly as if he was in Cambridge. Whereas, if the person underperfomed due to poverty/low socio-economic background/bad school, then they would obviously perform much better in Cambridge.

ReputationRep:

saying that there was a blind guy at the warwick step day earlier this year. Im pretty sure they were a mathmo but seems pretty hard if you cant write it down. I ended up helping them out of the building after cus they walked into a wall.

ReputationRep:
    Sidney suss
    Cool. How is IA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnglishMuon)
    saying that there was a blind guy at the warwick step day earlier this year. Im pretty sure they were a mathmo but seems pretty hard if you cant write it down. I ended up helping them out of the building after cus they walked into a wall.
    :rofl: :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: :rofl:
    yeah I know, I felt a bit sorry for them :')

ReputationRep:

Like EnglishMuon has good extenuating circumstances, and I think if he were to marginally miss his offer (impossible) then they should still take him in. However, if EnglishMuon is given benefit over someone else solely because he is black and transgender then that is just bullsh*t.

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.