Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016
  • View Poll Results: What grades are you expecting on results day?
    A*A*A* (A2 only)
    5.80%
    A*A*A (A2 only)
    5.11%
    A*AA (A2 only)
    8.61%
    AAA
    10.88%
    AAB
    14.14%
    ABB
    12.30%
    BBB
    5.44%
    BBC
    6.16%
    BCC
    5.05%
    CCC
    1.75%
    CCD
    4.08%
    A*AB (A2 only)
    4.86%
    A*BB (A2 only)
    1.42%
    ABC
    5.89%
    ACC
    1.48%
    Other
    7.04%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somevirtualguy)
    The thing that really scares me is it's only 9 days until grade boundaries are released. I keep telling myself not to look at them but it's inevitable that I'll give in...
    I now feel really sick

Posted from TSR Mobile

This song will be my results day song:

ReputationRep:
    Is there anyone else that would be 100% confident of getting good grades and securing their firm place if their grades were based soley on A2 exams?

I feel like i did so sick. But every time i have hope, I remember why I aimed for A*s in my A2 exams in the first place. To balance out the averageness of my year 12 grades and scrape into uni if I'm lucky.

In hindsight i should've done more retakes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thevamps99xo)
    I now feel really sick

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry! 😂

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I barely did any revision during exams :eek: the only way I can really revise is past papers because mind maps, re-reading notes and stuff don't work for me... Only past papers and teaching others and there aren't any past papers in uni :bawling: at least we have January exams again...
    Some universities have past papers available - mine did :yes: - or you can speak to second and third years about what came up in their exams.

Plus if you turn up to the "revision" lectures at the end of each semester then it'll be clear which topics are going to be in the exam. Lecturers set the exam questions so they will always make sure they've covered the exam content properly in lectures to avoid claims of unfair marking/exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somevirtualguy)
    Sorry! 😂
    It's okay

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Some universities have past papers available - mine did :yes: - or you can speak to second and third years about what came up in their exams.

Plus if you turn up to the "revision" lectures at the end of each semester then it'll be clear which topics are going to be in the exam. Lecturers set the exam questions so they will always make sure they've covered the exam content properly in lectures to avoid claims of unfair marking/exams.
    My firm has just restructured its degree so whilst some topics will be similar quite a flaw won't. I've also been told that some lecturers/unis like to shake up the exams (e.g do a 2h exam one year on everything and the next do 3 45min ones on specific parts of the module) so I'm not sure if that will help too much.

And I plan on showing up to every single lecture, seminar ect. So will bare that in mind, thanks

Btw, you work at a uni don't you? Are you a lecturer or something more behind the scenes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Btw, you work at a uni don't you? Are you a lecturer or something more behind the scenes?
    Something more behind the scenes :yes:

I don't have the single mindedness or enthusiasm for a single subject to get through a PhD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucabrasi98)
    Is there anyone else that would be 100% confident of getting good grades and securing their firm place if their grades were based soley on A2 exams?
    Yes, pretty certain I've got 4 A*s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Something more behind the scenes :yes:

I don't have the single mindedness or enthusiasm for a single subject to get through a PhD
    Ahhhh, I was just curious

I thought lecturers could lecture with just a masters degree though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QueenBee98)
    I'm glad to be finished with all of my subjects too tbh, but I did enjoy them It is quite a good idea Ah the university is lovely! It doesn't surprise me though, it's quite a small university, so it's a lot more homely Thank you! But I've wanted to be a teacher since I was in year Six anyhoo, and my choice of career hasn't changed since then :dancing2:
    I guess primary schools arent as bad as secondary, students are more appreciative at least so that's a positive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Ahhhh, I was just curious

I thought lecturers could lecture with just a masters degree though?
    The entry level for most academic posts is as a post-doc

It's possible to get in via other routes (especially for more practical subjects) but the traditional route is via a PhD.

ReputationRep:
    This wait is starting to p,iss me off more than make me anxious, anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know if unis (2016 application) will be looking at the AS exams we sat this year? some schools aka mine chose mostly not to sit them, however I know many did, even for linear qualifications where the 'AS' technically doesn't even exist. I sat exams for 2 subjects, one of these was in fact linear, do you think I will have to declare this one, but not the other subject ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by espicton98)
    does anyone know if unis (2016 application) will be looking at the AS exams we sat this year? some schools aka mine chose mostly not to sit them, however I know many did, even for linear qualifications where the 'AS' technically doesn't even exist. I sat exams for 2 subjects, one of these was in fact linear, do you think I will have to declare this one, but not the other subject ?
    Referees have been asked to explain the qualifications offered within a school/sixth form and what has been used to predict final A level grades where AS grades weren't available

See https://www.ucas.com/advisers/guides...qualifications

All certified qualifications MUST be declared - if your results slip shows an overall AS grade then your grade is certified and you have to declare it (if it doesn't show an AS grade then it isn't certified and you must NOT declare it)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    The entry level for most academic posts is as a post-doc

It's possible to get in via other routes (especially for more practical subjects) but the traditional route is via a PhD.
    Ahh okay, my aim is Ph.D anyway I just wasn't sure as I recall seeing a lot of faculty lists with people just having masters being called professor I think so I assumed that masters students could start lecturing from then.

ReputationRep:
    My CIE AS results are released the 11th... im scared

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Ahh okay, my aim is Ph.D anyway I just wasn't sure as I recall seeing a lot of faculty lists with people just having masters being called professor I think so I assumed that masters students could start lecturing from then.
    It does vary - and some universities use PhD students to teach. And of course in the past things weren't so competitive.

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/ is worth a watch if you're thinking about academia as a career - having a look at the number and sort of vacancies available and what they ask for (and what they pay!) can help you get an idea where the demand lies in your subject (https://www.findaphd.com/ is the same sort of thing but for funded PhD places....)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    It does vary - and some universities use PhD students to teach. And of course in the past things weren't so competitive.

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/ is worth a watch if you're thinking about academia as a career - having a look at the number and sort of vacancies available and what they ask for (and what they pay!) can help you get an idea where the demand lies in your subject (https://www.findaphd.com/ is the same sort of thing but for funded PhD places....)
    I was never sure about find a PhD or the UCAS PhD searcher because both only seen to list unis who pay to get on there and courses which pay to get on there too. Maybe I'm just missing them but I can never seem to find even course on the list.
    But I'll give the first website a look, even thought it's some thing like 7-8 years before I need to start looking at that:lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    I was never sure about find a PhD or the UCAS PhD searcher because both only seen to list unis who pay to get on there and courses which pay to get on there too. Maybe I'm just missing them but I can never seem to find even course on the list.
    But I'll give the first website a look, even thought it's some thing like 7-8 years before I need to start looking at that:lol:
    Find a PhD is the cheapest site to advertise funded PhDs on - so it generally has the longest list (Returnmigrant does an excellent job of highlighting some of the best options here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...0#post66796420 ).

Jobs.ac.uk has PhDs on it too - but costs a lot more to advertise on so an advert on there either means a very well funded department with a big budget for recruitment, a department is advertising a bunch of funded places OR a department has the funding but noone suitable has applied and so they're trying everything to find someone....so again it's quite a useful thing to check into/subscribe to a monthly update to get a feel for where there is demand for students/academics )

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: October 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.