The Student Room Group

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aph
Btw, you work at a uni don't you? Are you a lecturer or something more behind the scenes?

Something more behind the scenes :yes:

I don't have the single mindedness or enthusiasm for a single subject to get through a PhD:biggrin:
Original post by lucabrasi98
Is there anyone else that would be 100% confident of getting good grades and securing their firm place if their grades were based soley on A2 exams?

Yes, pretty certain I've got 4 A*s.
Reply 2662
Original post by PQ
Something more behind the scenes :yes:

I don't have the single mindedness or enthusiasm for a single subject to get through a PhD:biggrin:

Ahhhh, I was just curious :smile:

I thought lecturers could lecture with just a masters degree though?
Original post by QueenBee98
I'm glad to be finished with all of my subjects too tbh, but I did enjoy them :smile: It is quite a good idea :biggrin: Ah the university is lovely! It doesn't surprise me though, it's quite a small university, so it's a lot more homely :smile: Thank you! But I've wanted to be a teacher since I was in year Six anyhoo, and my choice of career hasn't changed since then :dancing2:

I guess primary schools arent as bad as secondary, students are more appreciative at least so that's a positive.
Original post by Aph
Ahhhh, I was just curious :smile:

I thought lecturers could lecture with just a masters degree though?

The entry level for most academic posts is as a post-doc

It's possible to get in via other routes (especially for more practical subjects) but the traditional route is via a PhD.
This wait is starting to p,iss me off more than make me anxious, anyone else?
does anyone know if unis (2016 application) will be looking at the AS exams we sat this year? some schools aka mine chose mostly not to sit them, however I know many did, even for linear qualifications where the 'AS' technically doesn't even exist. I sat exams for 2 subjects, one of these was in fact linear, do you think I will have to declare this one, but not the other subject ?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by espicton98
does anyone know if unis (2016 application) will be looking at the AS exams we sat this year? some schools aka mine chose mostly not to sit them, however I know many did, even for linear qualifications where the 'AS' technically doesn't even exist. I sat exams for 2 subjects, one of these was in fact linear, do you think I will have to declare this one, but not the other subject ?

Referees have been asked to explain the qualifications offered within a school/sixth form and what has been used to predict final A level grades where AS grades weren't available

See https://www.ucas.com/advisers/guides-and-resources/qualification-reform/applying-he-reformed-qualifications

All certified qualifications MUST be declared - if your results slip shows an overall AS grade then your grade is certified and you have to declare it (if it doesn't show an AS grade then it isn't certified and you must NOT declare it)
Reply 2668
Original post by PQ
The entry level for most academic posts is as a post-doc

It's possible to get in via other routes (especially for more practical subjects) but the traditional route is via a PhD.

Ahh okay, my aim is Ph.D anyway I just wasn't sure as I recall seeing a lot of faculty lists with people just having masters being called professor I think so I assumed that masters students could start lecturing from then.
My CIE AS results are released the 11th... im scared
Original post by Aph
Ahh okay, my aim is Ph.D anyway I just wasn't sure as I recall seeing a lot of faculty lists with people just having masters being called professor I think so I assumed that masters students could start lecturing from then.

It does vary - and some universities use PhD students to teach. And of course in the past things weren't so competitive.

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/ is worth a watch if you're thinking about academia as a career - having a look at the number and sort of vacancies available and what they ask for (and what they pay!) can help you get an idea where the demand lies in your subject (https://www.findaphd.com/ is the same sort of thing but for funded PhD places....)
Reply 2671
Original post by PQ
It does vary - and some universities use PhD students to teach. And of course in the past things weren't so competitive.

http://www.jobs.ac.uk/ is worth a watch if you're thinking about academia as a career - having a look at the number and sort of vacancies available and what they ask for (and what they pay!) can help you get an idea where the demand lies in your subject (https://www.findaphd.com/ is the same sort of thing but for funded PhD places....)

I was never sure about find a PhD or the UCAS PhD searcher because both only seen to list unis who pay to get on there and courses which pay to get on there too. Maybe I'm just missing them but I can never seem to find even course on the list.
But I'll give the first website a look, even thought it's some thing like 7-8 years before I need to start looking at that:lol:
Original post by Aph
I was never sure about find a PhD or the UCAS PhD searcher because both only seen to list unis who pay to get on there and courses which pay to get on there too. Maybe I'm just missing them but I can never seem to find even course on the list.
But I'll give the first website a look, even thought it's some thing like 7-8 years before I need to start looking at that:lol:

Find a PhD is the cheapest site to advertise funded PhDs on - so it generally has the longest list (Returnmigrant does an excellent job of highlighting some of the best options here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2551148&page=2&p=66796420#post66796420 ).

Jobs.ac.uk has PhDs on it too - but costs a lot more to advertise on so an advert on there either means a very well funded department with a big budget for recruitment, a department is advertising a bunch of funded places OR a department has the funding but noone suitable has applied and so they're trying everything to find someone....so again it's quite a useful thing to check into/subscribe to a monthly update to get a feel for where there is demand for students/academics )
Reply 2673
Original post by PQ
Find a PhD is the cheapest site to advertise funded PhDs on - so it generally has the longest list (Returnmigrant does an excellent job of highlighting some of the best options here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2551148&page=2&p=66796420#post66796420 ).

Jobs.ac.uk has PhDs on it too - but costs a lot more to advertise on so an advert on there either means a very well funded department with a big budget for recruitment, a department is advertising a bunch of funded places OR a department has the funding but noone suitable has applied and so they're trying everything to find someone....so again it's quite a useful thing to check into/subscribe to a monthly update to get a feel for where there is demand for students/academics )

Thank you again, that is definitely something I'll bare in mind for the future. Would rep but PRSOM
Original post by Aph
They can do that?! There isn't still the whole "teacher-student inappropriate relationship" type stuff at uni?

Not that I know of, nope. Our tutor is a volunteer - he's a plastic surgeon but looks after us in his free time.
Original post by EmilyPlatypus
My family keep mentioning me going to uni to everyone they speak to and I'm just like "I don't know if I got in yet" :cry2::cry::eek3:

Yes oh my god this is my life and even worse when anything related to you uni like someone on the news is from your firm and they're like ' oh isn't that where you're going ' as if there's no chance of you not getting in ... Feel like my parents aren't even nervous like they've assumed I'm getting in and that's that ... They haven't even mentioned grades so shall be interesting to see their reaction come the 18th if it all goes to crap ! :/ wish you like dude :biggrin: !!
Original post by SH0405
What are everyone's plans if you miss your offers? Resits? Gap year? Clearing? Closing your eyes and hoping all your problems will disappear?

I plan to go to York through clearing if I get good enough grades and if not I will go to some other random uni but have no idea what one lol
Original post by duncanjgraham
does anyone know if i could sit OCR S3 and S4 next summer (I'll be at uni) even though they are bringing in the new A-levels now?

You can retake any exam you want next summer from the current old spec ... Even AS papers if you wanted. I plan to resit c3 next year even though I should be at uni hahaha
Original post by otherdan
All of those!

Expecting CHEM4 low (unless they're really messing with us), CHEM5 normal-high.

PHYA4 normal, maybe a little lower. PHYA5 (did medical) as normal.

MEI FP1 low, FP2 slightly lower than usual, M1 slightly lower, M2 normal, D2 normal, S2 really high (it was basically the same paper as 2015 with different numbers!).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh I (reluctantly) did astro with PHYA5. I'm expecting UMS caps on PHYA4 and PHYA5 to be around 65. People are saying PHYA5 will be higher, but it was very wordy, and that always sends boundaries down.

CHEM4 should be around 88 for the UMS cap, 80 for the A*. CHEM5 will be the same as last year I suspect with 92 for the UMS cap.

MEI FP1 resit was so so so abysmal (everyone thought it) and I would reckon 60% for the A. FP2 was normalish imo, maybe 61-63 for the A?

C4 will be low I suspect (maybe 72/90 for the A*) and C3 normalish. S3 & S4 normalish again, down a bit on last year. FP3 was easy, maybe up a little on last year's.
Original post by breakfastbar333
me, except the physics, chem4 was disgusting!

It went okay for me in comparison to what others were saying, I think I scored between 88-90. But I was scoring 98+ on past papers, so boundaries should definitely be low.

Quick Reply

Latest