Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is this still going? Cause if so I wanna join. I'm currently learning Japanese

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    Did anyone else take the JLPT yesterday?
    Not confident enough yet T_T Hoping for JLPT3 in December though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    Are you teaching yourself? Cause I'm wondering if picking up Japanese at uni will be a bad idea since I'm already planning to do psychology and French as a degree and so maybe should pick something sciencey for my third subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brownsugar-xx)
    Are you teaching yourself? Cause I'm wondering if picking up Japanese at uni will be a bad idea since I'm already planning to do psychology and French as a degree and so maybe should pick something sciencey for my third subject.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Teaching myself. I'm working through Japanese for Busy People (Kana edition) atm

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Where are you looking at going?

ReputationRep:
    Teaching myself. I'm working through Japanese for Busy People (Kana edition) atm
    Ah i see, how difficult are you finding it? and what different types of Japanese are there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VickyDoodle)
    Where are you looking at going?
    I'll be going to Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    Ah i see, how difficult are you finding it? and what different types of Japanese are there?
    It's not too bad, easier than French but it's not that easy. It's mainly written in hiragana and katakana and covers "polite conversational Japanese"

ReputationRep:
    It's not too bad, easier than French but it's not that easy. It's mainly written in hiragana and katakana and covers "polite conversational Japanese"
    If its easier than French then thank **** because i find French kind of easy. Or maybe it was just the course that was easy :sdontknow: Oh i see. Well hopefully my obsession with anime will give me some sort of edge.

ReputationRep:
    This might be a long shot, but if anyone uses ALC (alc.co.jp), do you know if there's a vague equivalent website or anything for Chinese and/or Korean? ALC has been basically the most useful resource ever, barring Anki and Rikaichan. ありがとうー

ReputationRep:
    If its easier than French then thank **** because i find French kind of easy. Or maybe it was just the course that was easy :sdontknow: Oh i see. Well hopefully my obsession with anime will give me some sort of edge.
    Japanese grammar is far harder than French at more complex level of language. I am telling this as a person who speaks Japanese fluently and knows quite a lot of French by living in France for 3 years.
    Keigo is hell. Even Japanese people often don't know how to use correct
    keigo.
    French in that polite aspct, it's similar to English. I would like (je voudrais, j'aimerais) instead of I want (je veux) etc. But Japanese polite form (whatever it's called) changes a lot more than that. You need to understand when to put yourself down and result in raising the person above your status, or you just raise the person up to show respect....well it's hard to explain....also there are different words for your family members when you are talking in correct official polite keigo.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Agreed with c0balt. Keigo isn't nice to learn takes a long time to get use to the politness levels.

ReputationRep:
    it's awesome you wanna learn japanese haha!! it's a great language how long have you been teaching yourself?

(Original post by C0balt)
    Japanese grammar is far harder than French at more complex level of language. I am telling this as a person who speaks Japanese fluently and knows quite a lot of French by living in France for 3 years.
    Keigo is hell. Even Japanese people often don't know how to use correct keigo.
    French in that polite aspct, it's similar to English. I would like (je voudrais, j'aimerais) instead of I want (je veux) etc. But Japanese polite form (whatever it's called) changes a lot more than that. You need to understand when to put yourself down and result in raising the person above your status, or you just raise the person up to show respect....well it's hard to explain....also there are different words for your family members when you are talking in correct official polite keigo.
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah...Keigo's a *****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTechN1304)
    it's awesome you wanna learn japanese haha!! it's a great language how long have you been teaching yourself?

Yeah...Keigo's a *****
    Thank you about a month!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you about a month!
    Awesome . Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maths learner)
    Awesome . Good luck.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    weaboo/10

ReputationRep:
    皆さん、こんにちは!
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.