Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mechie)
    I might be wrong, but I imagine you're the type of guy that does his essays in a logical time before the deadline, and don't leave loads of work until the week/weekend before the deadline.

If so, I've always found people who do this prefer essays and assignments to exams. It's the disorganised people that leave loads of work until the last minute that prefer exams, because it's much easier to cram for an exam than to rush an assignment to be done.
    Yeah, i tend to try leave myself a week for each subject essay. I do end up doing other stuff some of the time and getting started is my problem but as most people will know themselves, you can get into a zone with an essay. The other week i wrote an essay on the drivers of change in public sector management and managed to read all the stuff i wanted for it and then cracked out 1400 words in about 3 hours. Essays are a ***** when you can't get in the zone but they feel so rewarding when you do.

My main gripe with exams is that I've never enjoyed revision (though i never revised at all until 20 so perhaps i should have started young).

ReputationRep:
    I might be wrong, but I imagine you're the type of guy that does his essays in a logical time before the deadline, and don't leave loads of work until the week/weekend before the deadline.

If so, I've always found people who do this prefer essays and assignments to exams. It's the disorganised people that leave loads of work until the last minute that prefer exams, because it's much easier to cram for an exam than to rush an assignment to be done.
    Precisely why I much prefer exams!! Although I do my essays really early. I just don't like doing them, as I get bored. An exam though, quick bit of last minute revision, sit for 2 or 3 hours, and done. Much more my style
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

Actually, I very much leave work to the last minute, but I much prefer written assignments to exams. Maybe I'm exceptional, but I find I can generally rush assignments without sacrificing too much in grades.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mean to start a discussion about exams because I'm annoyed at not doing well, but go ahead guys :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I didn't mean to start a discussion about exams because I'm annoyed at not doing well, but go ahead guys :lol:
    You never know - I tend to find when I think an exam has gone well, it's actually gone tits up, and vica versa

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    Actually, I very much leave work to the last minute, but I much prefer written assignments to exams. Maybe I'm exceptional, but I find I can generally rush assignments without sacrificing too much in grades.
    I don't think rushing is detrimental, it's more about whether or not i can sync with sub the essay and get into a zone. One essay that i got a 52 on was one in which i knew the subject matter but found totally uninteresting so not only did it take a while to write but i don't think i really went deep enough. Contrast that to an essay on the Eurozone i wrote in which 2 afternoons of reading articles for a few hours and 2 hours to write the fully essay got me a 68 (would have been a First but for a few small referencing errors) because i just got into that zone and the essay wrote itself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bun)
    You never know - I tend to find when I think an exam has gone well, it's actually gone tits up, and vica versa
    I definitely know. I did one question right, but the rest I'm scrabbling for marks.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    I don't think rushing is detrimental, it's more about whether or not i can sync with sub the essay and get into a zone. One essay that i got a 52 on was one in which i knew the subject matter but found totally uninteresting so not only did it take a while to write but i don't think i really went deep enough. Contrast that to an essay on the Eurozone i wrote in which 2 afternoons of reading articles for a few hours and 2 hours to write the fully essay got me a 68 (would have been a First but for a few small referencing errors) because i just got into that zone and the essay wrote itself.
    That sounds right. I did my final year project in one month as opposed to working on it all year. Got a decent enough grade. It was hell for that one month, but that's just my style.

ReputationRep:
    Can't believe that there are 20 odd bits of legislation going through right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cryptographic)
    Can't believe that there are 20 odd bits of legislation going through right now.
    How'd you know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    How'd you know?
    Going through last night's PM, and counting to 20.

ReputationRep:
    Bob Hoskins RIP. Only 71 years old. A fine actor.

ReputationRep:
    An off the wall idea, but what would be the feeling if we appointed someone, and it was their job to try and lure a varied selection of politicians here for a Q&A as often as possible? The format would be similar to PMQs. Just barebones, but would increase activity and also be interesting to see what RL politicians think of this.

ReputationRep:
    Gerry Adams has been arrested!
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    Just found this new ad. Enjoy!

BBC article for those interested

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    Gerry Adams has been arrested!
    You'll have a better idea than I do - how significant is this? It looked like a huge development when I saw the headline, but the article suggested it was a more voluntary arrangement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Just found this new ad. Enjoy!

BBC article for those interested
    I saw the article, just kinda skipped through the advert there. Surely the most important part is the actual electronics, lens, shutter etc in the camera as opposed to the body for it? Should they not be trying to advertise that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue Meltwater)
    You'll have a better idea than I do - how significant is this? It looked like a huge development when I saw the headline, but the article suggested it was a more voluntary arrangement.
    I don't think it will stick, but if it does it sends rather an unpleasant message that Brits are reneging on their deals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    I don't think it will stick, but if it does it sends rather an unpleasant message that Brits are reneging on their deals.
    Right, yeah, I hadn't considered that. Was the powersharing agreement based on a sort of South Africa style 'truth and reconciliation' settlement?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blue Meltwater)
    Right, yeah, I hadn't considered that. Was the powersharing agreement based on a sort of South Africa style 'truth and reconciliation' settlement?
    The Good Friday Agreement was based on granting immunity to both sides for past crimes. However this didn't prevent people investigating crimes that happened before 1998, only for those who had been convicted. Hence how the Shankhill Butcher got 5 years in jail for targetting and killing 13 Catholics, It's a strange loophole.

It's also the one I referred to when I wrote up the Troubles in NI Immunity Bill.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.