GCSE OCR 21st Century Triple Science (CBP1-7) Thread Watch

BarneyMartin
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can somebody explain Declination and Right Ascension, in particular- Right Ascension?
lyricalvibe
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by corporal)
woow already are ypu taking notes or are you reading it
Bit off both, I'm reading through a section and then summng it up with anotated diagrams then i make a question up for that section and answer it, it's quite slow compared to how i normally revise but it seems effective
Hbu?
lyricalvibe
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BarneyMartin)
Can somebody explain Declination and Right Ascension, in particular- Right Ascension?
Their was a explanation i read on yahoo answers...
The Earth can be marked off in degrees of Latitude (north or south of equator). If you put this idea into the sky, that is Declination (north or south of the celestial equator). The celestial equator is an imaginary line in the sky that is above earth's equator. Declination there is 0 degrees. The North Celestial Pole is above earth's geographic north pole (not the magnetic one). Its Declination is +90 degrees. At the other end of the sky is the South Celestial Pole at -90 degrees. It is over Antarctica.

You know about degrees of Longitude (east or west of prime meridian at Greenwich, England). In the sky, that is Right Ascension. But it is measured in hours and minutes, not degrees. This is because the earth rotates daily under the stars. Early astronomers mapped the sky without a physical landmark (surveyors had it easy on Earth). These astronomers used clocks. They would watch the stars glide past a special telescope and note the time. That became a star's RA in hours, minutes and seconds of time. So RA readings go from 0 hours through 23h 59m 59.99s. The scope could also measure the DEC angle.
But where to make the RA read 0 hours? How about where the path of the sun crosses the celestial equator going North (first day of spring).
corporal
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by lyricalvibe)
Bit off both, I'm reading through a section and then summng it up with anotated diagrams then i make a question up for that section and answer it, it's quite slow compared to how i normally revise but it seems effective
Hbu?

For each page in the cgp bk-
1st I read and and understand everything on the page
2nd- for each section in a page i reduce all the information
3rd- I draw a mindmap without looking at the page to see if i remember everything

Same it's a long process but it's better to spend more time and know everything properly.
azo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Anyone else finding it hard to revise physics? In my head exams are over haha
Scepticism
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
For the titration one does it really matter which way around it is? I said the acid had to be dissolved in the flask I think.. read that in the revision guide somewhere (came to my attention it might already be a solution.. now )
Amyjonesx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Can someone explain the curtis shapley debate pleAse? Dont think my revision book is detailed enough
eelg100
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sulfur)
I thought it was quite odd to be honest, don't even know why...

Titration 6 marker:

Fill burette with 25.0 cm3 of the acid
Pipette alkali into conical flask accurately
Put white tile under conical flask to observe reaction (change in colour) see change much more vividly
Slowly, drop by drop, add the acid to the alkali through the burette after adding about two drops of indicator
Keep adding until there's a colour change (neutralisation)
Calculate the total amount of acid used by total volume of acid - acid from end point
First titration is a rough titration, repeat at least three times to get +- 0.2 cm3 from rough titration
Once you've done three titrations, calculate the mean as it's accurate and the best estimate of the true value and takes into account the uncertainty of the data

hey thanks for that answer. If you didn't reply then woow I would've bombed! I think I made a few errors I said that if you started with an acid then you would want to find out the volume of it.I think I also said repeat experiment and change cm into dm
I dunno I think I got like four or five but thanks
also what would happen if you wrote in the barcodes or went over the little marks
ToLiveInADream
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Is it just me with 0 motivation for this exam? It's my last one and I'm just so tired already after like 22..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sulfur
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by eelg100)
hey thanks for that answer. If you didn't reply then woow I would've bombed! I think I made a few errors I said that if you started with an acid then you would want to find out the volume of it.I think I also said repeat experiment and change cm into dm
I dunno I think I got like four or five but thanks
also what would happen if you wrote in the barcodes or went over the little marks
No problem . There's nothing wrong with finding out the acid volume or repeating the experiment - you shouldn't get marked down for cm to dm too, so it's all fine.

At the front of the booklet it says to not write in the bar codes, people scan the booklets into the bar codes to mark it - so they'd probably hand mark the booklet. If you went over the little marks (the L in each corners?) then that bit won't be marked. Saying that though, since your booklet would probably be hand marked I don't think that'd matter, unless they refused to mark the words over the cutting section.
Pandorax
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ToLiveInADream)
Is it just me with 0 motivation for this exam? It's my last one and I'm just so tired already after like 22..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yup. This is going to be my 25th one or something, and I look at the book like urggh..I still have saturday and sunday..I can like..understand it then..:/
Pandorax
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Guys do we need to know about the angle of ascension or just the declination? In my text book it only explains what the declination is so D:
ToLiveInADream
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Pandorax)
Yup. This is going to be my 25th one or something, and I look at the book like urggh..I still have saturday and sunday..I can like..understand it then..:/
Lol! That urghh literally describes life right now when I looked at that book. Took one look at it and decided to kick back and procrastinate until tomorrow..

And 25?! You're nearly there, get through this! :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Krollo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My 23rd - luckily I like physics so it isn't much of a drag.

Posted from TSR Mobile
ToLiveInADream
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Krollo)
My 23rd - luckily I like physics so it isn't much of a drag.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I usually do to! Loved P7 when learning it but it's making my eyes go wonky, lmao. Think I've spent too much time indoors this exam season. Can't wait till Summer!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pandorax
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ToLiveInADream)
Lol! That urghh literally describes life right now when I looked at that book. Took one look at it and decided to kick back and procrastinate until tomorrow..

And 25?! You're nearly there, get through this! :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
One of my friends has 30 exams, exams be crazy. ;w;

Yup..I'm meant to be revising now..ahwell xD
DDan123
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I started to lose motivation for exams just before the 7s started It doesn't help either that the last time I looked at P7 was more than a month ago! I've completely forgotten everything which is making revision for this exam so much longer arghh

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sulfur
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I've written up naked-eye astronomy so now I need to start lenses... at least that's quite interesting. Does anyone have a feeling that P7 might be quite nice on Monday?
Amyjonesx
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Im drained from 26 exams, i thought id be motivated for the last exam but its not the case
it doesnt help that i hate physics
Krollo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Sulfur)
I've written up naked-eye astronomy so now I need to start lenses... at least that's quite interesting. Does anyone have a feeling that P7 might be quite nice on Monday?
No, to be honest.

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (105)
19.48%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (222)
41.19%
Nope, not that interesting (212)
39.33%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise