Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm really pulling my hair out about the now and was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to offer some advice?

I have a 2:1 biomed degree and I got a total of 2740 in the UKCAT (685 average) and have sat the GAMSAT but i only had a month to revise so I'm not hedging my bets on that at all. I'm at a bit of a loss for where to apply. I was thinking 4 yrs Southampton, Warwick, Bart's and Swansea (just in case my GAMSAT was actually semi-decent). I'm just concerned that my UKCAT is too low!

I was wondering if now that King's have switched to science only graduates I should thinking about applying there? I know they ask for super high UKCAT scores but I was unsure if i had a chance with (hopefully) less people applying now. Then again with the changes that are coming from the abolishment of the maintenance grant I was thinking of applying to the 5 year Bart's/Kings and living at home, penniless for 5 years!

So many options =((

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kateamelia)
    I'm assuming you haven't done the GAMSAT? I think your UKCAT is verging on the low side for graduate entry. I think the score required for an interview is atleast 650 these days. It is lower for undergraduate medicine if that's an option for you? There are universities which don't use any entrance exams. Birmingham is one but you need to be post graduation for this. I think Bristol might be another - check out their website!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry to disappoint but for graduate entry you need ukcat scores In the range of 700+ or higher

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisjp92)
    So I'm really pulling my hair out about the now and was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to offer some advice?

I have a 2:1 biomed degree and I got a total of 2740 in the UKCAT (685 average) and have sat the GAMSAT but i only had a month to revise so I'm not hedging my bets on that at all. I'm at a bit of a loss for where to apply. I was thinking 4 yrs Southampton, Warwick, Bart's and Swansea (just in case my GAMSAT was actually semi-decent). I'm just concerned that my UKCAT is too low!

I was wondering if now that King's have switched to science only graduates I should thinking about applying there? I know they ask for super high UKCAT scores but I was unsure if i had a chance with (hopefully) less people applying now. Then again with the changes that are coming from the abolishment of the maintenance grant I was thinking of applying to the 5 year Bart's/Kings and living at home, penniless for 5 years!

So many options =((
    Really don't want to be a let down to you but I think your ukcat is too low for graduate entry. Competitive scores are around 720ish. Maybe go for all gamsat as a risk. Only grad I'd say you have a chance is Wawrick but it depends on their cut off

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would value your opinion guys on the following
    Ukcat 667.5 ; 2.1 BSc honours ;

is barts 5 year a risky option ?
    And does anyone know the Southampton cut off for the 5 year option ?
    Glasgow and Aberdeen -5 year an option ?

Thanks guys in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be applying fpr GEM with a 2:1 biomedical science degree and got the following UKCAT scores:
    VR - 680 / QR - 810 / AR - 680 / DA - 680 / SJ - Band 1 which gives me a total of 2850 and an average of 712.5.

Where would you guys recommend I apply?
    I was thinking Newcastle, Southampton, Warwick and Bristol.

I figure my UKCAT score would be a bit risky for Barts and Kings?

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know where/who requires extra stuff for the application aside from oxford. do we need to submit a portfolio or reference from work experience or anything?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kj0511)
    does anyone know where/who requires extra stuff for the application aside from oxford. do we need to submit a portfolio or reference from work experience or anything?
    Warwick requires an additional work experience form to be filled out after an interview offer has been made.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if barts have a certain quota of graduates it admits to the A100 course?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renn)
    I'm going to be applying fpr GEM with a 2:1 biomedical science degree and got the following UKCAT scores:
    VR - 680 / QR - 810 / AR - 680 / DA - 680 / SJ - Band 1 which gives me a total of 2850 and an average of 712.5.

Newcastle and Southampton are both pretty risky with that UKCAT score I'm afraid. They both use only UKCAT as a determinant of interview, so the cut off tends to be pretty high.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renn)

I think you'd have a better shot at Barts and Kings than Newcastle or Southampton, as Kings choose their interviews out of the top 25%, and Barts are 50:50 UKCAT/degree. Oh also, Kings are only taking science grads this year so might drop their cutoff slightly.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Would really appreciate anyone's thoughts.
    I'm predicted a 1st in biomed and have a UKCAT of 705. Do people feel I would have a better chance of interview at Barts of King's?

ReputationRep:
    This will be my second time applying... do you think I should mention it in an interview (if I get one)? Not sure...

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys could anyone recommend some universities based on my stats? I'm a graduate but unfortunately my UKCAT didn't go to great, so I'm mainly looking for 5 year course recommendations.
    Here are my stats:

GCSEs: 1A*, 5As, 3Bs
    A-levels: Achieved AAA (Maths, Chemistry, Biology), A (AS Physics)
    Degree: 2:1 BSc Neuroscience from UCL.
    UKCAT: 640 Average, 2560 Total
    Personal statement, reference and work experience/volunteer work are also in good shape.

I made a list and crossed off UKCAT/GCSE heavy universities, but that doesn't leave many. Does anyone have any idea about my chances with Aberdeen/Glasgow/Dundee?
    I'd like to get this sent off today, so I'd really appreciate any advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zcbtjke)
    Hey guys could anyone recommend some universities based on my stats? I'm a graduate but unfortunately my UKCAT didn't go to great, so I'm mainly looking for 5 year course recommendations.
    Here are my stats:

GCSEs: 1A*, 5As, 3Bs
    A-levels: Achieved AAA (Maths, Chemistry, Biology), A (AS Physics)
    Degree: 2:1 BSc Neuroscience from UCL.
    UKCAT: 640 Average, 2560 Total
    Personal statement, reference and work experience/volunteer work are also in good shape.

I made a list and crossed off UKCAT/GCSE heavy universities, but that doesn't leave many. Does anyone have any idea about my chances with Aberdeen/Glasgow/Dundee?
    I'd like to get this sent off today, so I'd really appreciate any advice
    Why not check out Bristol for GEM? It looks as though you satisfy their requirements. They don't use any entrance test.

It's a shame you've left it a bit late to consider Cambridge, as you need a second reference and also an additional form you would need to complete. No entrance test there, either.

ReputationRep:
    which scottish unis provide the 4 year course? Will student finance still be provided if an english student goes to scotland?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nickname_esco)
    which scottish unis provide the 4 year course? Will student finance still be provided if an english student goes to scotland?
    None of them offer it

List of all uni's that do:

Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary's, University of London
    Birmingham (University of), School of Medicine
    Bristol (University of), Faculty of Medicine
    Cambridge (University of), School of Clinical Medicine
    Imperial College School of Medicine, London
    King's College London School of Medicine
    Liverpool (University of), Faculty of Health and Life Sciences
    Newcastle University Medical School
    Nottingham (The University of), Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
    Oxford (University of), Medical Sciences Division
    Southampton (University of), School of Medicine
    St George's, University of London
    Swansea University, School of medicine
    Warwick (University of), Warwick Medical School

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nickname_esco)
    None of them do!

ReputationRep:
    UCAS FORM SENT!!

Oh dear lord, here we go again... Here's to the next 5 months of stress and panic!!

Good luck everyone!

ReputationRep:
    I graduated with a 2:1 in Biomedical Sciences and got AAB at A level (chemistry, maths, biology)
    In 2nd year I got a couple of module marks that are 2:2's... Is it worth applying to Bristol? It says on their admissions policy they expect 2:1's :/ just don't want to waste a choice

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know which is likely to have higher UKCAT requirements, A101 at Newcastle, or BM4 at Southampton?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.