The Student Room Group

Graduate Entry Medicine: 2016 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zcbtjke
Hey guys could anyone recommend some universities based on my stats? I'm a graduate but unfortunately my UKCAT didn't go to great, so I'm mainly looking for 5 year course recommendations.
Here are my stats:

GCSEs: 1A*, 5As, 3Bs
A-levels: Achieved AAA (Maths, Chemistry, Biology), A (AS Physics)
Degree: 2:1 BSc Neuroscience from UCL.
UKCAT: 640 Average, 2560 Total
Personal statement, reference and work experience/volunteer work are also in good shape.

I made a list and crossed off UKCAT/GCSE heavy universities, but that doesn't leave many. Does anyone have any idea about my chances with Aberdeen/Glasgow/Dundee?
I'd like to get this sent off today, so I'd really appreciate any advice :smile:

Why not check out Bristol for GEM? It looks as though you satisfy their requirements. They don't use any entrance test. :smile:

It's a shame you've left it a bit late to consider Cambridge, as you need a second reference and also an additional form you would need to complete. No entrance test there, either.
(edited 8 years ago)
which scottish unis provide the 4 year course? Will student finance still be provided if an english student goes to scotland?
Original post by nickname_esco
which scottish unis provide the 4 year course? Will student finance still be provided if an english student goes to scotland?

None of them do!
UCAS FORM SENT!!

Oh dear lord, here we go again... Here's to the next 5 months of stress and panic!!

Good luck everyone! :smile:
Reply 2685
I graduated with a 2:1 in Biomedical Sciences and got AAB at A level (chemistry, maths, biology)
In 2nd year I got a couple of module marks that are 2:2's... Is it worth applying to Bristol? It says on their admissions policy they expect 2:1's :/ just don't want to waste a choice

Thanks in advance :smile:
Does anyone know which is likely to have higher UKCAT requirements, A101 at Newcastle, or BM4 at Southampton?
Original post by Ben4757
Does anyone know which is likely to have higher UKCAT requirements, A101 at Newcastle, or BM4 at Southampton?

Newcastle probs

Posted from TSR Mobile
Can anyone comment on whether it would be acceptable to put your work experience and volunteer work in the employment section on UCAS? I mean does it have to be strictly paid or would putting the work exp/volunteer stuff in make it more clear what you've done? Anyone whos done this before?
Reply 2689
I need some help i any could offer some advice! i was going to put down warwick, kings, barts and soton, all GEM. Im now thinking of putting down one or two 5 year courses but i can't decide at all where would be best. has anyone else looked into this and able to offer some advice? i got 2910 B1 and a 2:1 in pharmacology. haven't done gamsat or bmat and got ABBb (bio, chem, maths, phys) at a level
Reply 2690
Original post by Testmed
Can anyone comment on whether it would be acceptable to put your work experience and volunteer work in the employment section on UCAS? I mean does it have to be strictly paid or would putting the work exp/volunteer stuff in make it more clear what you've done? Anyone whos done this before?

I was wondering this as I volunteer as a first responder and wanted to put it down but its not paid. it is in my PS though
Original post by kj0511
I was wondering this as I volunteer as a first responder and wanted to put it down but its not paid. it is in my PS though

Yeah its an interesting one. Ive got some stuff in my PS but I dont want to put all of it in there and risk making it sound like a list. So I thought the employment section my be a better way to show everything.
Original post by Testmed
Yeah its an interesting one. Ive got some stuff in my PS but I dont want to put all of it in there and risk making it sound like a list. So I thought the employment section my be a better way to show everything.

I would have said no, employment means paid work. Think it applies more if you have graduated and taken a year (or more) off before applying. Everyone has too much to put in the PS, gives you something to talk about at interview.
Original post by kj0511
I need some help i any could offer some advice! i was going to put down warwick, kings, barts and soton, all GEM. Im now thinking of putting down one or two 5 year courses but i can't decide at all where would be best. has anyone else looked into this and able to offer some advice? i got 2910 B1 and a 2:1 in pharmacology. haven't done gamsat or bmat and got ABBb (bio, chem, maths, phys) at a level

Leicester sounds good for you.
My UKCAT is too low (615). This would have been my first time applying but I won't be applying this year. Any advice on how to improve my UKCAT next year and not be so nervous. :frown:
Original post by Clunkles
Newcastle probs

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah second that, Newcastle is usually higher.
Original post by lcsurfer
you don't get 8k as a graduate on the 5 year course. You will get the base minimum of 3.5k as its all the bursaries etc that bring it up to 8k per year... I've got many friends on the 5 year that get the 3.5k and nothing more. If you are an EU student you won't get the loan, we had southern irish students who couldn't get anything from SLE.
I work part time while studying medicine and it's hard work... I work 10-20 hours a week just to stay afloat in live in London even though on a GEM (in clinical years) I get a lot of funding.

I'm an EU student who has lived in UK since 2004 and I got funding for my first degree. You're saying if I got into GEP I wouldn't get funding for that?
Original post by neuronerd
I would have said no, employment means paid work. Think it applies more if you have graduated and taken a year (or more) off before applying. Everyone has too much to put in the PS, gives you something to talk about at interview.

That's a good point. Thanks :smile:
Original post by deathbeforeimmortality
I'm an EU student who has lived in UK since 2004 and I got funding for my first degree. You're saying if I got into GEP I wouldn't get funding for that?

graduate/GEP - 4 years = funded
undergrad - 5/6 years = not funded.
Reply 2699
For personal statements have people left a line in between paragraphs or not?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending