Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    Congrats! Which college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks! St John's (the best one of course)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Opiece)
    Thanks! St John's (the best one of course)
    Ooh well I guess you can relax now, no longer in limbo like the rest of us

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yup exactly, I'm so relieved now haha

What are you applying for? And when do you get A-level results?

ReputationRep:
    Yup exactly, I'm so relieved now haha

What are you applying for? And when do you get A-level results?
    Economics and August 13 - feeling quite edgy now I think it could be close to a* with all of them gah

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Economics and August 13 - feeling quite edgy now I think it could be close to a* with all of them gah

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Best of luck!
    By the way, how come results for A-levels come out so late? Is there any logical reason or do they just want to stress students out to death?

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck!
    By the way, how come results for A-levels come out so late? Is there any logical reason or do they just want to stress students out to death?
    So many people do them, it takes a long long time to mark them and for the examiners to be taught how to apply the markscheme etc

ReputationRep:
    There's a chance the Conservatives have just made uni very difficult for me, starting from my 2nd year. I know there has been an increase in the Maintenance Loan, but I don't want to be in even more debt. I didn't even apply for a Maintenance Loan this year for that very reason. My parents can't afford to help me financially. But I'll see what impact it has when the time comes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcor)
    There's a chance the Conservatives have just made uni very difficult for me, starting from my 2nd year. I know there has been an increase in the Maintenance Loan, but I don't want to be in even more debt. I didn't even apply for a Maintenance Loan this year for that very reason. My parents can't afford to help me financially. But I'll see what impact it has when the time comes.
    It's ****e.

I'm hoping there'll be ways around it, to think life was just about to get simple :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcor)
    How have you managed to do it without a maintenance loan?! :O I'd have no chance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How have you managed to do it without a maintenance loan?! :O I'd have no chance

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Close to max bursaries, some money from a work placement and bit of help from parents (I meant they couldn't support me financially after uni if I was in loads of debt)

I'm hoping I haven't made a huge mistake by not applying for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcor)
    Close to max bursaries, some money from a work placement and bit of help from parents (I meant they couldn't support me financially after uni if I was in loads of debt)

I'm hoping I haven't made a huge mistake by not applying for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you need some, I'd be happy to try and help. I took out a couple thousand just in case so it should be spare if need be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    If you need some, I'd be happy to try and help. I took out a couple thousand just in case so it should be spare if need be
    That's super kind, I'll let you know but I should be fine :')

ReputationRep:
    When is it best to apply for tuition fee loan? Not really sure how it works to be honest (I'm an eu student), I did print out like 40 pages I need to fill out though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcor)
    Once you finish university you'll have the same starting salary as me so why is it fair that I have to take out significantly more in loans when I will have the same ability to pay off the debt. That is the argument against grants.

If education is not free it should at least cost everyone the same amount. Yes some peoples parents are more able to help, that doesn't mean they are more inclined to help lots of people get less from their parents than others get in grants.

Admittedly my parents do support me but if I could get a higher loan and be independent of sorts I would.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosedam)
    When is it best to apply for tuition fee loan? Not really sure how it works to be honest (I'm an eu student), I did print out like 40 pages I need to fill out though.
    As early as possible

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods;[url="tel:57626903")
    57626903[/url]]As early as possible

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What if I miss my offer? Do I still have a £9,000 loan?
    I applied for some scholarships that I haven't heard from yet. Is it possible to change the loan amount after submitting the application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosedam)
    What if I miss my offer? Do I still have a £9,000 loan?
    I applied for some scholarships that I haven't heard from yet. Is it possible to change the loan amount after submitting the application?
    If you don't get in you won't have the tuition loan, the tuition loan is only paid once you sign an agreement after you arrive. I'm not sure about any maintenance loans

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods;[url="tel:57627107")
    57627107[/url]]If you don't get in you won't have the tuition loan, the tuition loan is only paid once you sign an agreement after you arrive. I'm not sure about any maintenance loans

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Maintenance loans are only for UK students, so at least I don't need to worry about those (plus my government pays me £600/month while I study)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcor)
    I think you will find it only applies to "new students" not 2nd years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    Once you finish university you'll have the same starting salary as me so why is it fair that I have to take out significantly more in loans when I will have the same ability to pay off the debt. That is the argument against grants.

If education is not free it should at least cost everyone the same amount. Yes some peoples parents are more able to help, that doesn't mean they are more inclined to help lots of people get less from their parents than others get in grants.

Admittedly my parents do support me but if I could get a higher loan and be independent of sorts I would. Posted from TSR Mobile

Those with parents who earn a comfortable enough salary that their child isn't eligible for grants can get significantly more financial help at uni from them (I know /some/ don't, but that's not relevant and is anecdotal). They are also more likely to have more financial support in the future, so if I had the same debt as you it would have a greater impact on me. That's why I should be eligible for grants and you shouldn't.

Didn't you go to a fee-paying school? How much was that per year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.