Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by matt.3pehr)
    Heard great things about Trinity Hall! Brilliant! I'm at Pembroke, but heard that we won't be hearing about accommodation till June/July, as offers are given out till quite late apparently.. But who knows! I'm excited and just want to start sorting out stuff! Which uni are you currently based at (assuming you're doing an undergrad at the moment)?
    Based on last year's thread, the same applies to Jesus. We should be receiving our accommodation surveys in mid-May and room allocations in July.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Whilst a College might ask what accommodation offer holders want as offers come out, most don't. The general pattern is to wait until July, after term has ended. In that way

a) second and third year postgrads get their first choice of accommodation, and the College knows what the remainder is to house incoming first years, and

b) there is a clearer idea of who is actually going to take up their offer ie College is planning accommodation around a more certain pool of students

From the offer holders perspective, there is a better chance you know your financial limits and the geography/priorities you have in Cam by the summer, rather than now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gutenberg)
    When I had an interview for this MPhil many moons ago, it was just a chat with my prospective future supervisor over the phone. He asked about the courses I was taking in my final year of the BA, what my dissertation was about and how it was going, etc. I think he asked me what I was looking forward to on the MPhil, and we had a brief chat about the research proposal I submitted. So perhaps re-read your proposal and any personal statement-style document you might have sent, and you'll be absolutely fine. I don't think History places much weight on interviews - technically, I think mine was for an AHRC studentship rather than admissions. Good luck!
    Thank you for your reply, had the interview this morning and it was similar to what you described. I feel like it went pretty well, how long after the interview did you receive your offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SEM94)
    Thank you for your reply, had the interview this morning and it was similar to what you described. I feel like it went pretty well, how long after the interview did you receive your offer?
    I'm glad to hear it. As I alluded to in my post, my interview wasn't really for admission, but rather for an AHRC scholarship, so I can't say with any great confidence how long they'll take to update your application. I'm sure if they were satisfied you should hear back before too long, it's just a case of the interviewer passing along the info to the course director and the admin staff, and them updating things accordingly.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know whether it is better to have two combined sources of funding, rather than just one? Lets say your tuition and college fees are covered by the department and your maintenance by a scholarship, does that look better (for example on your CV) than just having one full scholarship? Or is it the prestige of the scholarship that carries the most weight?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Marvellous16)
    Doesn't matter. There's no such thing as the 'theoretical job application' or 'all other things being equal' when information is actually in front of a selection panel. In any future measurement of your potential there are going to be far weightier things to measure. Just get enough money together, however you can!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Doesn't matter. There's no such thing as the 'theoretical job application' or 'all other things being equal' when information is actually in front of a selection panel. In any future measurement of your potential there are going to be far weightier things to measure. Just get enough money together, however you can!
    Thanks for the answer. You make a good point. For some reason, however, I was under the impression that when I comes to applying for PhDs the amount/quality of awards and scholarships was relevant criteria. Am I mistaken?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Thanks for the answer. You make a good point. For some reason, however, I was under the impression that when I comes to applying for PhDs the amount/quality of awards and scholarships was relevant criteria. Am I mistaken?
    Relevant does not equal significant or weighty. It's a very small consideration, and there are far more significant factors that will outweigh. It's also, in the final event, a personal preference, and you have no idea and no control over the minds of the panel that deliberate your future applications and how they might evaluate one large scholarship versus two smaller ones and the relative 'prestige' of those awards.

ReputationRep:
    Relevant does not equal significant or weighty. It's a very small consideration, and there are far more significant factors that will outweigh. It's also, in the final event, a personal preference, and you have no idea and no control over the minds of the panel that deliberate your future applications and how they might evaluate one large scholarship versus two smaller ones and the relative 'prestige' of those awards.
    What would you say are these more significant factors? What are the top three criteria in postgraduate admissions? Surely, scholarships and awards signal high academic achievement more so than grades, for example.

ReputationRep:
    What does awaiting decision by Board of Graduate Studies mean? I saw several people earlier saying it's an administrative step. Does this mean I effectively have an offer??!?!?

Someone please enlighten me asap, the suspense is killing me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NewtoIB123)
    What does awaiting decision by Board of Graduate Studies mean? I saw several people earlier saying it's an administrative step. Does this mean I effectively have an offer??!?!?

Yes it is and you will receive an official few days after! Congratulations!
    (mine is into BoGS on Friday and got offer on Tuesday)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miremind)
    Yes it is and you will receive an official few days after! Congratulations!
    (mine is into BoGS on Friday and got offer on Tuesday)
    Thanks for letting me know mate! I applied back in December so it's been rather a long wait.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NewtoIB123)

Congrats !!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iCreptio)
    Congrats !!
    Unless you've lied about your child-rape conviction.

ReputationRep:
    I have a question. If you get an award from another college other than the one you've been allocated, do you have to change colleges?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    What would you say are these more significant factors? What are the top three criteria in postgraduate admissions? Surely, scholarships and awards signal high academic achievement more so than grades, for example.
    Absolutely not, grades mean much more. Financial awards that are open to a very large applicant pool offer large amounts of money and are highly competitive add value, but if they aren't accompanied by grades you are going nowhere. Many subjects, undergrad institutions, countries etc cannot offer scholarships and awards for study. You would get a very biased student population if you gave great weight to awards and scholarships. It would be like buying a cake because of the number of candles on top of it - you buy the cake you want, with the decoration you want, some candles would be nice, but if you want the cake enough you can add your own candles!

For Cambridge grades make up the largest proportion of weight, followed closely by any research proposal required. Then followed by references. Then followed by a mix of issues whose weight depends on the individual circumstances of the course, subject, degree, individual applicant pool etc. They include the strength and depth of the rest of the application, scholarships and awards, previous institution, availability of a Supervisor, widening participation etc etc

ReputationRep:
    It would be like buying a cake because of the number of candles on top of it - you buy the cake you want, with the decoration you want, some candles would be nice, but if you want the cake enough you can add your own candles!
    participation etc etc
    This has got to be among the best analogies I've heard for anything!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when the results for the research scholarships from John's are announced? Besides the vaguely stated "in May"?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by paperdoorway)
    I have a question. If you get an award from another college other than the one you've been allocated, do you have to change colleges?
    Usually, yes. Given the way most awards are funded (donated funds from alumni), it is a requirement of most awards.

ReputationRep:
    Got an offer in Feb, still waiting for College allocations. I made an open application. but should it be taking this long?

University open days

• Staffordshire University
    Everything except: Midwifery, Operating Department Practice, Paramedic Undergraduate
    Sun, 21 Oct '18
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.