Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by super-emily)
    Exeter hates me! They've just given me an offer...for 39 IB points! They told me 31! Just for non-IB people, that's more than Durham and the same as many Oxbridge colleges!

I got an email from them saying that they were having to change many of their offers to IB people. I'm not saying that EVERYONE'S offer will be hugely different, but just be aware.

Sorry to bring doom and gloom! But I am a little upset with that one...
    39 points... that is insane! guess i'll give up on exeter then...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sam...)
    39 points... that is insane! guess i'll give up on exeter then...
    I'm not sure whether that is just ME, or just ENGLISH people, or what - it could just be a technical glitch (please God). I'm going to give them a ring on Monday and see what's going on. But yeah, it's seems crazy! I'm just hoping they meant to put 29....:p:

ReputationRep:
    haha yeah although exeter does seem slightly too good to be true for IB applicants... about the only top uni that equates AAA to 33 points in the prospectus... if only all the uni's used the ucas tariff we'd be sorted

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fn_101)
    Yeah, I have - and I really want an offer- LOVE Durham! What college did you apply to and where else did you apply? Much congrats on the offer
    I know, durham is incredible! collingwood college aswell which looks really nice. oxford, newcastle, sheffield and edinburgh - have interview for oxford and offers for newc and sheff! thankyou!

ReputationRep:
    Its 2 weeks now... wow... cant believe how quickly time passes! But I also changed 2 of my options so now I gotta wait longer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mabbott1)
    I know, durham is incredible! collingwood college aswell which looks really nice. oxford, newcastle, sheffield and edinburgh - have interview for oxford and offers for newc and sheff! thankyou!
    Well done - your PS must be amazing, I want a durham offer now! What college at oxford - will see you there hoepfully!

ReputationRep:
    haha yeah although exeter does seem slightly too good to be true for IB applicants... about the only top uni that equates AAA to 33 points in the prospectus... if only all the uni's used the ucas tariff we'd be sorted
    I know! If only the IB was valued for what it was worth, uni application would be a doddle! :yep: But I doubt that is going to happen, so we'll just have to keep getting 39 points :p:

ReputationRep:
    I know! If only the IB was valued for what it was worth, uni application would be a doddle! :yep: But I doubt that is going to happen, so we'll just have to keep getting 39 points :p:
    So IB is so much harder than normal A-levels then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxy)
    So IB is so much harder than normal A-levels then?
    errr no. If it was harder then IB students would get much lower offers. i think it depends on your learning style as to whether the IB suites you or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scraceus999)
    errr no. If it was harder then IB students would get much lower offers. i think it depends on your learning style as to whether the IB suites you or not.
    Thats what i thought, She said that its valued lower than what its worth...

ReputationRep:
    You cant really make that statement when you havent experienced 2 years of A-Levels.....

ReputationRep:
    According to the ucas tariff it's something like 29 points at IB is equivalent to AAA at A-level! Personally I don't think that's a fair comparison, but 39 points is definitely higher than AAA.

The fact that there's so much variation between uni's shows that they don't really know how to value the IB. Probably in a few years when it becomes more widespread in the UK they'll reach some sort of consensus.

IB subjects aren't necessarily any harder, it's just that you take more of them. you do 3 higher subjects, which are each equivalent to an A-level... then 3 standard subjects on top of that... and then there's other compulsory elements such as a theory of knowledge essay and presentation, a 3000 word extended essay and 150 hours of creativity, action and service...

My school offers both A-levels and IB and the IB students have a lot more hours of lessons a week than A-level students..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxy)
    Thats what i thought, She said that its valued lower than what its worth...
    I don't mean that it's worth any more than A Levels - hence the whole UCAS tariff thing. I just meant that universities don't USE the tariffs, and assume that each subject is roughly equal to an AS when as Sam says it's not.

There's no one better system (IB/A Level) but because the IB is misunderstood it makes uni offers completely distorted sometimes.

Sorry I didn't want to offend anyone

ReputationRep:
    I don't mean that it's worth any more than A Levels - hence the whole UCAS tariff thing. I just meant that universities don't USE the tariffs, and assume that each subject is roughly equal to an AS when as Sam says it's not.

There's no one better system (IB/A Level) but because the IB is misunderstood it makes uni offers completely distorted sometimes.

Sorry I didn't want to offend anyone
    the only reason that exeter gave such a high offer is because this year they have upped the requirements for english. Nearly all are now AAA, which levels to 38 IB points, so yours isnt higher by a lot. They will have made you a 39 instead of 38 because they know that you're a strong applicant who is capable of it.

ReputationRep:
    the only reason that exeter gave such a high offer is because this year they have upped the requirements for english. Nearly all are now AAA, which levels to 38 IB points
    The issue wasn't that they'd upped the requirements. I have a copy of the prospectus here and it says AAA-AAB, which they equate to 31-32 points at IB... so the issue is not that they've raised the A-level standards but that they've raised the IB equivalent to AAA from 32 points in their prospectus to an offer of 39 points.

ReputationRep:
    the only reason that exeter gave such a high offer is because this year they have upped the requirements for english. Nearly all are now AAA, which levels to 38 IB points, so yours isnt higher by a lot. They will have made you a 39 instead of 38 because they know that you're a strong applicant who is capable of it.
    I'm not so worried personally, but I have friends that are predicted 32 and so have applied to Exeter. I just don't think that it's fair to so drastically change what they want so far into the application cycle.

I don't know. It's all a bit complicated. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens...:o:

ReputationRep:
    The issue wasn't that they'd upped the requirements. I have a copy of the prospectus here and it says AAA-AAB, which they equate to 31-32 points at IB... so the issue is not that they've raised the A-level standards but that they've raised the IB equivalent to AAA from 32 points in their prospectus to an offer of 39 points.
    yes, and more and more people meet their offers every year too, so they have to have some way of controlling it. 31-32 points is ridiculously low, like BBB or something....remember that they can give you any offer they want. And actually, they upped the requirements after this years prospectus was printed, so the IB may have gone up since.

ReputationRep:
    yes, and more and more people meet their offers every year too, so they have to have some way of controlling it. 31-32 points is ridiculously low, like BBB or something....remember that they can give you any offer they want. And actually, they upped the requirements after this years prospectus was printed, so the IB may have gone up since.
    But they haven't actually raised the A-level requirements. They ask for AAA in the prospectus and they're offering AAA. They've only changed what they equate that to be in IB points, from 32 to 39... which is a big difference. And 32 points is more than BBB... although probably not AAA...

I think it would be easier if they only asked for 666 in your higher subjects or something, which is equivalent to AAA at a-level. By looking at the total points score, someone who has equivalent to 3 a-level A's but doesn't do as well in their standard subjects has their total dragged down.

ReputationRep:
    anyway. whatever happens I probably won't go now - especially as I have York! It confused me, but I think trying to second guess the admissions tutors so far has just proved completely pointless.

Roll on a Durham offer!

ReputationRep:
    i too have been shocked by Exeter- i applied for Philosophy and Political economy advertised at 31 IB points yet have received an offer of 39 points! - furthermore the offer seems to imply this is does not include "bonus" points so is 39/42!
    i know for many people at my school they were relying on exeter as their insurance option whereas now it is a higher offer than their first choice ( durham approx- 38 points, ucl 38 points, oxford 38-40)
    interestingly the website still quotes 31 points as required entry. if i have not had a response to either of my emails to admissions at exter by the time i return from my oxford interview (Wednesday) i intend on starting a letter campaign including phrases such as "thoroughly disgusted" and "false advertising".
    and this from a supposed pro IB university...

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 26, 2009

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.