Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveluis10)
    Strange how different courses work - people talking about finishing their first placement today - I still have 5 weeks left when I go back, but I'm secondary so maybe it's different?

Head of Department said there may be a job going but A) it's likely to be only part time and B) I wouldn't really like to work there anyway. The atmosphere is a bit toxic at times, the standards are quite low and it's in a difficult area, plus it's too big for me, I'd prefer a smaller more community feel style school like I went to when I was a pupil.

I've enjoyed my time so far there and the staff are a laugh, mentor is fine. Just couldn't see myself working there.

Will have to politely decline if it gets mentioned that there's an application process - will be awkward but have to do what is best for me right?
    Yeah definitely - think of the environment you would like to work in, otherwise you will be unhappy!

I'm secondary too and I've finished my first placement. We start our second one on 27th January.

--------

Had such a lovely last day - my form were particularly sneaky, they had signed a massive goodbye card for me and got me a lovely present. Actually felt like having a little cry when I said goodbye to them and the staff!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    Starting to worry. Feeling a bit low.
    Are you okay? :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Strange how different courses work - people talking about finishing their first placement today - I still have 5 weeks left when I go back, but I'm secondary so maybe it's different?

Head of Department said there may be a job going but A) it's likely to be only part time and B) I wouldn't really like to work there anyway. The atmosphere is a bit toxic at times, the standards are quite low and it's in a difficult area, plus it's too big for me, I'd prefer a smaller more community feel style school like I went to when I was a pupil.

I've enjoyed my time so far there and the staff are a laugh, mentor is fine. Just couldn't see myself working there.

Will have to politely decline if it gets mentioned that there's an application process - will be awkward but have to do what is best for me right?
    I'm schools direct secondary so have been on placement since September. Knackered isn't the word.

ReputationRep:
    Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well done for making it to Christmas everyone! I didn't this year...was signed off for 2 weeks then the last 3 weeks have been working 50% because of illness! The ITT year is really tiring, but it's a huge achievement to get to Christmas relatively unscathed

I remember not sleeping AT ALL the last night of the Xmas holidays in my ITT year and going into work anyway. Would never force myself to do that now. Sleep and your health are really important.

ReputationRep:
    Talk about it here.

Yeah it depends on the uni a lot. I did primary and had two overlapping placements- one in the autumn, then a couple of weeks in the second in Jan, then back to the first in spring and finishing up in the second in the summer! So I also find it weird hearing about everyone leaving now.

They are unlikely to ask you directly about it, they'll probably mention it at the most then leave you to apply as normal if you wish. Don't feel bad, it has to be the right school for you and no-one will be annoyed!

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Saw one of my colleagues teaching and she does it so much better than me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Different universities have different placement schedules. My first placement school has a load of trainees, mostly from the Institute but a couple from Goldsmiths. The Goldsmiths lot finished their placement this Thursday, but the rest of us are here until the end of January.

I wouldn't go for a job that you don't want. They'll understand - it's a part-time position so there's no reason to feel awkward turning that down to look for full-time employment.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think you should be comparing yourself to anyone, be it that you are better or worse than them. Everyone is different and we'll pick up the skills to be a good or outstanding teacher at different speeds. If you're still on the course it's job well done so far

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    I'm schools direct secondary so have been on placement since September. Knackered isn't the word.
    Oh how I agree!
    Today was the last shortened day day but I still left as usual because I had to finish the assessments (ans still there are lots to finish).
    I really hope it gets better.

(Original post by Piggsil)
    Well done for making it to Christmas everyone! I didn't this year...was signed off for 2 weeks then the last 3 weeks have been working 50% because of illness! The ITT year is really tiring, but it's a huge achievement to get to Christmas relatively unscathed

I remember not sleeping AT ALL the last night of the Xmas holidays in my ITT year and going into work anyway. Would never force myself to do that now. Sleep and your health are really important.
    Did that so many times this term, it's scary. When you are too tired, you can't even fall asleep anymore...

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Someone once said this to me:
    Compare yourself to others and get bitter.
    Compare yourself to yourself and get better.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Of course she does, shes been teaching for at least two years. You haven't! Don't expect to be perfect straight away. That will be you in a few years that the new trainees are in awe of
    Learn from your observations rather than getting down about them. What did she do that you could do in your lessons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lantan)
    Oh how I agree!
    Today was the last shortened day day but I still left as usual because I had to finish the assessments (ans still there are lots to finish).
    I really hope it gets better.
    I feel like I should be doing something, like planning or something... I'm not used to this freedom :P I do have two uni assignments that I want to get done over christmas though. They're due in January during my other school placement and I don't really want to be planning and stressing about new classes and new schemes AND stressing out trying to write these assignments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    I feel like I should be doing something, like planning or something... I'm not used to this freedom :P I do have two uni assignments that I want to get done over christmas though. They're due in January during my other school placement and I don't really want to be planning and stressing about new classes and new schemes AND stressing out trying to write these assignments.
    Yeah I've got a 1,000 word essay to do - aiming to have it done within the next few days. After that, gonna start looking into personal statements for jobs. So got some work planned but need gonna rest as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty_mad)
    Yeah I've got a 1,000 word essay to do - aiming to have it done within the next few days. After that, gonna start looking into personal statements for jobs. So got some work planned but need gonna rest as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have a 1000 and a 2500 They did not think the timing of the due dates out at all on my course.
    I've applied for one job already but have yet to hear anything. The personal statement was actually quite easy once you get into it!

ReputationRep:
    Omg I want to work with your unis - I have a 5000 word due in Jan and another in May which we're supposed to be doing incrementally from Sept and I still haven't started it! Basically aiming to write about 7000 words this Xmas!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeLynsey)
    Omg I want to work with your unis - I have a 5000 word due in Jan and another in May which we're supposed to be doing incrementally from Sept and I still haven't started it! Basically aiming to write about 7000 words this Xmas!
    My PGCE had a 1500 and two 3500s but actually they were very small... It was very hard to keep the words down. Especially the 1500 felt way too short.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeLynsey)
    I'm in the same situation, I am just getting over my placement and cannot get back into the routine of writing assignments.

First I thought I couldn't get through my placements and the assignments were not bad, now it's vice versa.

BTW many teachers have said something along the lines of ' how i do have sympathy for you, I wouldn't want to do my training again' so it is not you or us, it is tough!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I've already done a 2500 which was due back in October. I'm 6 years out of uni and thought I would struggle but that one did flow out pretty easily once I got going. It's finding the time to do all of the reading that I find hardest.

I had today off for a girly day with my Mum, but tomorrow I need to put in at least a solid 5 hours I think to get going. Blah!

I'm School Direct as well, so no time between placements to do any of this stuff as placement is a permanent state of being!

ReputationRep:
    I had 2 6000 word essays during my course, and a research project which we presented as a research poster.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.