Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What should Labour use as a theme tune? The MRLP would have something by Screaming Lord Sutch.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    What should Labour use as a theme tune? The MRLP would have something by Screaming Lord Sutch.
    "Are you smarter than a ten-year-old?" It's ironic because Ed Miliband isn't. :mmm:

(Yes that's RL politics, I know. )
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    The people's flag is deepest red,
    It shrouded oft our martyred dead,
    And here their limbs grew stiff and cold,
    Their hearts' blood dyed its every fold.

Then raise the scarlet standard high.
    Within its shade we'll live and die,
    Though cowards flinch and traitors sneer,
    We'll keep the red flag flying here.

It well recalls the triumphs past,
    It gives the hope of peace at last;
    The banner bright, the symbol plain,
    Of human right and human gain.

It suits today the weak and base,
    Whose minds are fixed on pelf and place
    To cringe before the rich man's frown,
    And haul the sacred emblem down.

With heads uncovered swear we all
    To bear it onward till we fall;
    Come dungeons dark or gallows grim,
    This song shall be our parting hymn.

We'll keep the red flag flying here!

ReputationRep:
    That's ****.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Rhadamanthus)
    That's ****.
    Beats Halley's Fifth or whatever else it is that you Libers hearken to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    Beats Halley's Fifth or whatever else it is that you Libers hearken to.
    Erm, the Wurzels the last time I checked. I'm pretty ****ing pissed though.

ReputationRep:
    :bump:

Anyone got any questions for us? All a bit quiet on here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryS)

Views on my suggestion of a referendum on EU membership given the TSR government's proposed budget with the ending of VAT?

ReputationRep:
    Views on my suggestion of a referendum on EU membership given the TSR government's proposed budget with the ending of VAT?
    The newly elected Shadow Foreign Secretary knows the situation on EU membership better than I do, so I'd await a reply from him about this matter.

My sincere apologies for not being familiar with the situation.

(Original post by eff01)
    QFA

ReputationRep:
    I thank the Honourable Member for this question. Indeed increasingly this government is isolating itself from Europe and pursuing an anti European agenda. I sincerely hope that this ending of VAT is put to a vote in this House so we can properly have an open and frank discussion about this serious tax change. On the issue of the referendum, I have made my views on the issue clear. We had a referendum in the House, less than two years ago, the people unanimously voted in favour of remaining in the European Union and we should respect this decision. This government is on a mission to continuously call for a referendum until the vote is in their favour and this is unacceptable.

I personally do not feel a referendum should be called, however if the house votes in favour of one, I will be campaigning to remain in the European Union.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoryS)

Don't ask for questions! Then our dearth of ideas and thoughts, and the hollowness of our whole ideology, will be uncovered :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eff01)
    I thank the Honourable Member for this question. Indeed increasingly this government is isolating itself from Europe and pursuing an anti European agenda. I sincerely hope that this ending of VAT is put to a vote in this House so we can properly have an open and frank discussion about this serious tax change. On the issue of the referendum, I have made my views on the issue clear. We had a referendum in the House, less than two years ago, the people unanimously voted in favour of remaining in the European Union and we should respect this decision. This government is on a mission to continuously call for a referendum until the vote is in their favour and this is unacceptable.

I personally do not feel a referendum should be called, however if the house votes in favour of one, I will be campaigning to remain in the European Union.
    Less than 6 months ago the people voted for the current house of commons. Therefore we must respect their decision and never have another election. Do you see the flaws in your logic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internetguru)
    Less than 6 months ago the people voted for the current house of commons. Therefore we must respect their decision and never have another election. Do you see the flaws in your logic?
    You could use this argument for possibly anything! If you want a referendum vote for it, I'm not stopping you..

ReputationRep:
    Sorry Labour, I am going to storm in and join the discussion.

As the most Europhille Member of this House and Leader of the Pro-Europe Society, we had a Referendum which was in favour of continued membership of the EU. I do not get why someone is calling for one now. Yes the relationship has changed slightly but we should remain in the EU. If there is a Referendum next term, I will strongly campaign for continued Membership. The rules state 1 Referendum per term.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Morgsie)

As the most Europhille Member of this House and Leader of the Pro-Europe Society, we had a Referendum which was in favour of continued membership of the EU. I do not get why someone is calling for one now. Yes the relationship has changed slightly but we should remain in the EU. If there is a Referendum next term, I will strongly campaign for continued Membership. The rules state 1 Referendum per term.
    My feeling is that barnetlad probably wasn't aware of those rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    My feeling is that barnetlad probably wasn't aware of those rules.
    What does Barnetlad want? He is going on about payments and others (myself included) are going on about Membership
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    What does Barnetlad want? He is going on about payments and others (myself included) are going on about Membership
    I'm not sure and that's up to him to answer.

ReputationRep:

Exactly!
    I welcome the Honourable Member's interjection.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by eff01)

Really? Because I recall the result being around 60/40. The campaign to stay in the EU won, but the result was far from unanimous.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by TheCrackInTime)
    Really? Because I recall the result being around 60/40. The campaign to stay in the EU won, but the result was far from unanimous.
    Where do you stand on the EU debate TCIT?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 19, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.