Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcor)
    There's a chance the Conservatives have just made uni very difficult for me, starting from my 2nd year. I know there has been an increase in the Maintenance Loan, but I don't want to be in even more debt. I didn't even apply for a Maintenance Loan this year for that very reason. My parents can't afford to help me financially. But I'll see what impact it has when the time comes.
    We should get around 2-3 K per year from Cambridge apparently. We apply for that when we get there

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colmans)
    I think you will find it only applies to "new students" not 2nd years.
    I don't think so. As regardless of year the student fincance is done per year refreshed in a sense so will affect us.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Colmans)
    I think you will find it only applies to "new students" not 2nd years.
    There was ambiguity regarding that in the BBC article I read - are you certain of that? That would be great news for me, but remains a huge shame.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    Once you finish university you'll have the same starting salary as me so why is it fair that I have to take out significantly more in loans when I will have the same ability to pay off the debt. That is the argument against grants.

If education is not free it should at least cost everyone the same amount. Yes some peoples parents are more able to help, that doesn't mean they are more inclined to help lots of people get less from their parents than others get in grants.

Admittedly my parents do support me but if I could get a higher loan and be independent of sorts I would.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But we need that money to live literally and should we be put in more debt then you just for being born into a poor family? Hopefully you say no.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    We should get around 2-3 K per year from Cambridge apparently. We apply for that when we get there

Posted from TSR Mobile
    3.5k is the maximum amount! Thankfully

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I know. 3K is not enough to live on though lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcor)
    I know. 3K is not enough to live on though lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Na but we get another thing though. Younwont need it in 1st year but you can apply for the loan in second year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    But we need that money to live literally and should we be put in more debt then you just for being born into a poor family? Hopefully you say no.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would prefer higher taxes and free education but not everyone shares my views. If we have to pay for me then I think everyone should pay the same amount for the same opportunities. I think that sufficiently large interest free loans should be available that students need not worry about money whilst at university.

OP said he wasn't taking out a maintenance loan which actually means I will end up with 16800* more debt than him over the course of my degree (if he never takes the loans).

*3600 this past year and 4400 for the next three

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    I would prefer higher taxes and free education but not everyone shares my views.

I think that sufficiently large interest free loans should be available that students need not worry about money whilst at university.
    I agree with these.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcor)
    There was ambiguity regarding that in the BBC article I read - are you certain of that? That would be great news for me, but remains a huge shame.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It wont affect you, you start 2015/2016 and it only will affect new students from 2016/2017.

My school fees were 14k a year.

Its interesting that I think my parents income shouldn't affect my access to tertiary education but you do. I think its unfair that so few people have the privilege of the same fantastic education I had at school... don't you? Because if so that's somewhat selective thinking.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    I agree with these.
    Why do you think your education should be cheaper?

Theoretically if my parents pay higher taxes and so the subsidy I receive is already lower as a family we are already paying more, should higher earners face large prescription charges for medicine? (That's the best analogy everyone pays via taxes and those who use the service make an additional contribution, the same goes for road tax)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    Why do you think your education should be cheaper?

Theoretically if my parents pay higher taxes and so the subsidy I receive is already lower as a family we are already paying more, should higher earners face large prescription charges for medicine? (That's the best analogy everyone pays via taxes and those who use the service make an additional contribution, the same goes for road tax)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because I've never experienced it. Your family likely have. If it was an interest free loan, I wouldn't have a problem with borrowing.

The way I see it, the government acts as my parents in helping me pay my way through uni. Maybe I receive too much in grants, but I still feel I should receive the help as other people's parents provide.

Well prescription medicine is free in Wales so haven't had to think about that

ReputationRep:
    Your family likely have.
    Presumptuous. Again I return to my belief that my parents earnings and education should make no difference to whether or not I as an individual can afford university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcor)
    Those with parents who earn a comfortable enough salary that their child isn't eligible for grants can get significantly more financial help at uni from them (I know /some/ don't, but that's not relevant and is anecdotal). They are also more likely to have more financial support in the future, so if I had the same debt as you it would have a greater impact on me. That's why I should be eligible for grants and you shouldn't.

Didn't you go to a fee-paying school? How much was that per year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think you understand the way the loan works. The debt doesn't affect your financial rating AT ALL and doesn't have to be paid until after your earning 21,000 and even then it's minimal and taken out of your salary before you get it. You won't need your parents help with the debt after university. I honestly see no logical reason for not getting out the loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    ^^ I don't want to pull out the loan because of the interest.

(Original post by Goods)
    Presumptuous. Again I return to my belief that my parents earnings and education should make no difference to whether or not I as an individual can afford university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Likely have, isn't presumptive. Those who have attend higher education are likely to have their children also attend.

You still can afford it.

ReputationRep:

I can understand then but Elcor was talking about not wanting to have to be in debt- I was meaning there is no logical meaning for not wanting a loan because of debt.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopefulLawyerHG)
    I can understand then but Elcor was talking about not wanting to have to be in debt- I was meaning there is no logical meaning for not wanting a loan because of debt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I can't speak for his reasons.

I don't see why they should be making money off of us at a variable rate and compounding it.

If it wasn't interest free, but say fixed ie I borrow 40k I pay back 50k, I wouldn't mind that either.

ReputationRep:

Likely have, isn't presumptive. Those who have attend higher education are likely to have their children also attend.

You still can afford it.
    Nope, think about it semantically and 'likely have' is still presumptive. You have no right the assume the likeliness that they went to university (which they did but not oxbridge)

My parents can afford it. I can't. I don't think whether of not my parents can afford it should have any influence. The best way to tackle inequality is to remove it rather than try compensate for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    Nope, think about it semantically and 'likely have' is still presumptive. You have no right the assume the likeliness that they went to university (which they did but not oxbridge)

My parents can afford it. I can't. I don't think whether of not my parents can afford it should have any influence. The best way to tackle inequality is to remove it rather than try compensate for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay...

Well then make it so that parents don't pay for any of their children's university education. And it's entirely on the students

But that wouldn't work, because rich parents would still pay towards it

However that then becomes a matter of anything, not just university so it's all fundamentally flawed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcor)
    Close to max bursaries, some money from a work placement and bit of help from parents (I meant they couldn't support me financially after uni if I was in loads of debt)

I'm hoping I haven't made a huge mistake by not applying for it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah fair enough, I'm in the top band so I basically had to take the max I could get in order to live next year as obviously (and fairly) I have no option to take additional grants etc, although a job I've got this summer should help a bit with spending on more fun things than accommodation
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.