Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

UKCAT for 2017 Entry to UK watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi I don't really know what to think about my results in really confused by it all, I am an A grade student but got:

VR- 630
    QR- 700
    AR- 620
    And band 2

Please if someone can help me I am so confused if this is even good, I'm looking at Manchester Liverpool and Sheffield, thank you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessprout)
    Hi I don't really know what to think about my results in really confused by it all, I am an A grade student but got:

VR- 630
    QR- 700
    AR- 620
    And band 2

Please if someone can help me I am so confused if this is even good, I'm looking at Manchester Liverpool and Sheffield, thank you!!
    Defo too low for sheffield unfortunately. You are probably best looking at universities which are not ukcat heavy.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thank you so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Jessprout)

VR- 630
    QR- 700
    AR- 620
    And band 2

This is 650 average so have a look at:
    - Birmingham,
    - SGUL
    - QUB
    - liverpool
    - bristol
    - sheffield

Also have a look at the BMAT schools
    650 is not bad at all!
    I would say no for manxhester they needed 665 last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by MoshBosh)
    Defo too low for sheffield unfortunately. You are probably best looking at universities which are not ukcat heavy.
    She has 650, that is above average. Please do your research before going saying this.

Sheffield want 600 average, it says that on their website!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natalierm2707)
    This is 650 average so have a look at:
    - Birmingham,
    - SGUL
    - QUB
    - liverpool
    - bristol
    - sheffield

Also have a look at the BMAT schools
    650 is not bad at all!
    I would say no for manxhester they needed 665 last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for the help!! Thats reassuring as i thought it was a bit poor, i don't want my ukcat to pull me down after i have just got 4 A predictions a AS, but yeah I will look into the BMAT schools, thanks again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erinls2)
    Thank you, and if you don't mind me saying I was pretty happy with it myself hehe
    Yes, do try Medify! It's not cheap but it really is worth it. I used it just for the 2 weeks before my test - in fact I think it was a week and a half

At the moment the plan is to apply to Bristol, Birmingham, Nottingham and Sheffield but I most want to go to Bristol, absolutely loved it! Would have applied to Oxford because I love the city (I go to school there and have lived there my whole life) but it's a bit too close to home and also I don't like the traditional course structure. How about you?
    I also want to apply to Sheffield; it was amazing!! Also Newcastle, St Georges and maybe Kings College if my ukcat is high enough. I don't like traditional courses much either I think I'm leaning towards integrated courses more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentsixth)
    QR is supposed to be much easier than Medify, AR is supposed to be about the same and VR is supposed to be much harder.
    I found the QR in the actual test so much easier than on medify

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Talisia13)
    I found the QR in the actual test so much easier than on medify
    Me too! 570/650 on Medify, 830 on the day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pooji11)
    I also want to apply to Sheffield; it was amazing!! Also Newcastle, St Georges and maybe Kings College if my ukcat is high enough. I don't like traditional courses much either I think I'm leaning towards integrated courses more.
    Nice choices! I looked at KCL too but not a fan of living in London - student debt will be enough for me :P Me too *high five*

ReputationRep:
    To anyone who has done the UKCAT this year, did you find the QR questions in the exam to be longer or shorter compared to Medify(irrespective of the difficulty of the questions)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erinls2)
    Me too! 570/650 on Medify, 830 on the day
    AWESOME score! What resources did you use?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lostperson)
    AWESOME score! What resources did you use?
    Thank youuuuuuu!!! It was such a surprise ngl :') a nice one though :P Initially I did a bit from the 1000Q book but in the end I really just used Medify for 2 weeks before the exam though I did do a fair bit each day, ranging from about 2 - 5 hours. I would really recommend Medify as I felt especially in the QR it over prepares you which is a good thing

ReputationRep:
    What would people reckon is a good score for the UKCAT?

I did mine today and got 730 (average), however a lot of my friends got a bit higher than me. So i'm faced with the dilemma of choosing whether to apply to UKCAT heavy universities or ones which don't regard it as highly.

I'd really appreciate somebody else's opinion on this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liverpool7867)
    What would people reckon is a good score for the UKCAT?

I did mine today and got 730 (average), however a lot of my friends got a bit higher than me. So i'm faced with the dilemma of choosing whether to apply to UKCAT heavy universities or ones which don't regard it as highly.

I'd really appreciate somebody else's opinion on this
    Your score is well above average, so you should defo consider ukcat heavy unis :-)

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of starting a Whatsapp group for 2017 entry medics. Would anyone be interested?

Has anyone used Medic portal Ukcat questions?
    If so, are they an accurate representation of how the real exam is going to be like?

ReputationRep:
    How important is situational judgement? What universities look at it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alanaro)
    How important is situational judgement? What universities look at it?
    Well I can tell you that Manchester University does not look at situational judgement

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I have 12 days left to my UKCAT and frankly, I am absolutely petrified. To begin with I have done very minimal preparation as I have only been using the UKCAT app and have gone through the UKCAT tutorial. I have not done any questions under timed conditions and haven't attempted a full mock. Please could someone help me by suggesting how I can manage these last few days to ensure I achieve a good score aswell as recommend some resources that you think are effective.
    Many thanks.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.