Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Would love to do some maths over the summer but guarentee I never need any of it, should really do some comp sci prep tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ComputerMaths97)
    Would love to do some maths over the summer but guarentee I never need any of it, should really do some comp sci prep tbh
    We still have Discrete Mathematics, which looks pretty similar to Numbers and Sets in the Maths course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    sin x > x/(pi/2) for 0<x<pi/2 (easy to justify with a graph)

Result follows

Thanks. I dont know what i was thinking, trying to overcomplicate a straight forward problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackSpinner1)
    Thanks. I dont know what i was thinking, trying to overcomplicate a straight forward problem.
    A slightly more intuitive approach:

A\ \mathrm{acute} \Rightarrow \sin2A&gt;0 \Rightarrow 1+\sin2A=(\sin A+\cos A)^2&gt;1 \Rightarrow \sin A+\cos A&gt;1.

Also C is acute, so A+B&gt;\dfrac{\pi}{2} \Rightarrow B&gt;\dfrac{\pi}{2}-A.

Therefore
    \sin A+\sin B+\sin C=\sin A+\sin B+\sin(\pi-(A+B))

=\sin A+\sin B+\sin (A+B)&gt;\sin A+\sin(\dfrac{\pi}{2}-A)+\sin\dfrac{\pi}{2}

=\sin A+\cos A+1&gt;2\ \mathrm{as\ required.}

EDIT: Nvm there's a mistake here, cbb to correct.

ReputationRep:
    See you all in roughly a month and a half, it's been a great journey!

ReputationRep:
    What do you think my chances are in getting into trinity with a 2,S?
    (offer 1,1)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingRS)
    What do you think my chances are in getting into trinity with a 2,S?
    (offer 1,1)
    Erm, I will be honest,maybe not very high since it is trinity,they will probably pool you but you will get accepted by another college regardless so I wouldn't worry.
    What marks are you looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Erm, I will be honest,maybe not very high since it is trinity,they will probably pool you but you will get accepted by another college regardless so I wouldn't worry.
    What marks are you looking at?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    70-75,90-95

ReputationRep:
    70-75,90-95
    70-75 could be a 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    70-75 could be a 1.
    Hopefully but my 70-75 is optimistic so I would be inclined to say I'm going to miss out by a few marks.

If I get a HM at the IMO do you think it would be worth sending them an email to improve my chances or would they be inclined not to take that into account since it's very niche?

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully but my 70-75 is optimistic so I would be inclined to say I'm going to miss out by a few marks.

If I get a HM at the IMO do you think it would be worth sending them an email to improve my chances or would they be inclined not to take that into account since it's very niche?
    Are you in the British team? Or just been to the maths camp?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cogito.)
    Are you in the British team? Or just been to the maths camp?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No I'm on a team from a different country

ReputationRep:
    No I'm on a team from a different country
    It will be very helpful if you tell them, also mention the question you attempted and which year it was, since Trinity used to be the maths camp when they select people from top BMO candidates.

ReputationRep:

I don't think a HM would do much, a medal would though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    I don't think a HM would do much, a medal would though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha well there's no chance of that happening, hopefully I'll get pooled to a decent college

ReputationRep:
    Haha well there's no chance of that happening, hopefully I'll get pooled to a decent college
    I think if you get a high 2 and an S you are likely to be taken by Trinity, and virtually certain to be pooled if not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leonard Dev)

Enough for a 1 in both ¿😕
    yes

ReputationRep:
    What country are you representing, if I may ask? If you got a HM i think it is worth emailing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackSpinner1)
    Any help with this question?
    No, stop hijacking this thread for your questions. Post a new thread in the maths forum if you want help.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got grade boundary predictions for a 1 in step 2&3?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.