Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JadeVictoria)
    You can't do anything that's covered by your subjects really, unless it's only slightly relevant and you're planning on doing it in lots more detail. The reason being, if you just do what's in your a level biology module you'll effectively get two qualifications for the same thing. But like i said if you do it in far more detail and only touch a bit on what you did in your a level you should be fine
    I see, if I alter the title so it focuses more on how to deal with resistant in the future and give a general over view of what and how antibiotic resistance develops I should get away with it. As biology only talks about how it develops.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by N0body)
    I see, if I alter the title so it focuses more on how to deal with resistant in the future and give a general over view of what and how antibiotic resistance develops I should get away with it. As biology only talks about how it develops.
    That will be fine, for a level you only need to know basics but for EPQ you need to do lots of research and go into massive detail. Regardless of what you choose, using purely a level knowledge won't get you a good EPQ mark

ReputationRep:
    Hi - was wondering if anyone could briefly answer these questions for me? I'm doing the AQA extended project.

1. Is there a minimum number of people required to attend the presentation?
    At the moment I'll be lucky if three attend mine as the only time I could book the equipment was after school

2. In the production log, there is a summary section which requires an outline of 50-150 words of the project. Mine is currently 213 words and I'm really struggling to cut it down any further. Would this really matter?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ninegrandstudent)
    Hi - was wondering if anyone could briefly answer these questions for me? I'm doing the AQA extended project.

At the moment I'll be lucky if three attend mine as the only time I could book the equipment was after school

2. In the production log, there is a summary section which requires an outline of 50-150 words of the project. Mine is currently 213 words and I'm really struggling to cut it down any further. Would this really matter?
    Hey

1) There is not a minimum number-many people in my class had only 2 or so other people there (not including the teacher)

2) Is there no way to cut it down? Remember it is only a SUMMARY of what your project was, but don't worry about it if you can't do so, it's only another 60 or so words-you won't be deducted marks for that!

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm doing my presentation next Friday but I will be doing the rehearsal probably on Monday.

What do I need to include? The supervisor has been very vague in what I have to talk about.

Also, what sort of questions should I expect to be asked?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azwozzle)
    Hello,

I'm doing my presentation next Friday but I will be doing the rehearsal probably on Monday.

What do I need to include? The supervisor has been very vague in what I have to talk about.

Also, what sort of questions should I expect to be asked?

Thanks

What to do: (copied from earlier in the thread)

What you did (Title)
    Why you chose it/subjects related to
    An overview of the research you did and putting concisely what you learnt-USE SPECIFIC LANGUAGE, and explain it. For example, I did film, I used the term ECU, which I then explained in its context.
    A conclusion (if there is one)
    What you would do differently/success? Failure? What you learnt.
    Time for questions, which you should answer in depth, using knowledge learned.

If you type in EPQ presentation into google, there should be a pdf file that might to say what sort of thing. I've done 2 EPQ's

In terms of questions-it's purely dependent on what you did. But you should have done enough research to answer them effectively. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FallenMan)
    What to do: (copied from earlier in the thread)

What you did (Title)
    Why you chose it/subjects related to
    An overview of the research you did and putting concisely what you learnt-USE SPECIFIC LANGUAGE, and explain it. For example, I did film, I used the term ECU, which I then explained in its context.
    A conclusion (if there is one)
    What you would do differently/success? Failure? What you learnt.
    Time for questions, which you should answer in depth, using knowledge learned.

If you type in EPQ presentation into google, there should be a pdf file that might to say what sort of thing. I've done 2 EPQ's

In terms of questions-it's purely dependent on what you did. But you should have done enough research to answer them effectively. Good luck!

Thank you so much! I found an example presentation online but it was only the slides, not the notes, so apart from the beginning, I had no idea what I had to say.

Wow, 2 EPQs? How come you did that?

ReputationRep:

Wow, 2 EPQs? How come you did that?
    It's alright, I wish I had had some help when I first did it!

The first one I did was because I dropped my 4th A Level (History is not my friend), the second time I did one was because in our college we HAD to do an extra thing if we were doing 3 A Levels, so I just thought "meh, done it once, I'll do it again!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FallenMan)
    It's alright, I wish I had had some help when I first did it!

The first one I did was because I dropped my 4th A Level (History is not my friend), the second time I did one was because in our college we HAD to do an extra thing if we were doing 3 A Levels, so I just thought "meh, done it once, I'll do it again!"
    Oh, I see. In our school, we had to drop an A Level after AS. At least it would have been easier second time around :P What were they about?

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I see. In our school, we had to drop an A Level after AS. At least it would have been easier second time around :P What were they about?
    How strange that you had to drop one...What's your EPQ on?

My first one was "How has the horror movie genre adapted from 1931-present day", chose a small selection of films and basically spoke of camera angles/effects and audience reactions. Got a B for that.

The one I've just done was a short film, but my original film was lost so I had to make and edit a new one-with a new idea-in the space of about 2 weeks. In my presentation I linked to the youtube page, so I spoke about advertisements and such, so in both I learnt a lot of very different things, and I obviously love film!

ReputationRep:
    My epq is complete yayyy <3
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by ninegrandstudent)
    Yes, you need your supervisor and another tutor to make sure that you supervisor's marks are accurate and that's the bare minimum. You can bring friends, and whoever else. I'm bringing my close friend who is also doing EPQ, as she will actually be able to relate to the presentation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by racheatworld)
    Yes, you need your supervisor and another tutor to make sure that you supervisor's marks are accurate and that's the bare minimum. You can bring friends, and whoever else. I'm bringing my close friend who is also doing EPQ, as she will actually be able to relate to the presentation.
    You don't necessarily need another tutor - I had just my supervisor then my friends.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Natalie21)
    You don't necessarily need another tutor - I had just my supervisor then my friends.
    We were told that we did. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got any ideas relating to Blood Brothers (Nature vs. Nurture, Surrogate Parenthood, Superstition, Devil - Narrator etc....) Or Titanic.... Or a nice trad ethics one?!

Any ideas helpful!

Cxx

ReputationRep:
    Almost finished my EPQ! On 4600 words and I think it'll probably be maybe another 1000-2000 words. Hopefully I'll finish it in the next couple of days Does anyone know what date the presentation is or is decided by school?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Chris_1)
    Anyone got any ideas relating to Blood Brothers (Nature vs. Nurture, Surrogate Parenthood, Superstition, Devil - Narrator etc....) Or Titanic.... Or a nice trad ethics one?!

Any ideas helpful!

Cxx
    I love Blood Brothers! I saw it a week ago in London's West End! A good one for Blood Brothers may be to look at how the class system affects the life chances of those who live in this country. You could look at the different opportunities Eddie and Mickey have when they are children, and then again as they grow older. You could use Blood Brothers as a basis for this and then could also get some statistics from other sources. This would be quite an original topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucymcgonigle)
    So, I've noticed a lot of peolpe are doing the EPQ, I was just wondering do you get offered to it if you're smart enough? Do you ask to do it? what grades do you need to do it? errrrm, if anyone's done it before, what did you do yours on?

A lot of questions but it just sounds interesting
    For ours we were approached my senior staff asking if we wanted to do it because we were 'more able' than others in our academic year, and we're doing out of school ours at level three (we're still in Yr10.) It's now being offered as an option for the curretn Yr9's GCSE's and they can take it as a level 2 or 3.
    In 6th Forms, my freinds could chose it as an options as part of the AQA baccalaureate. So depending on where abouts you are in the academic system, and what your school/ future schools offer thats about it. I hope that helps!

I'm doing mine on how different generations perceive Bipolar Illness, and my friend is doing it on how video games affect young people and how much is the video game industy going to develop in the next 10years. We were told that we should do it on something that we enjoy and that we will have something to talk about including our personal opions and giving us the option to conduct our own research.

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I am not sure whether I should do EPQ. I want to focus on my subjects but believe that it will boost my UCAS application if I do do it.

However, the problem is I don't know what I would write about and the fact that I would have to do a lot for it (HUGE project from what I perceive). I do want to concentrate on my subjects (maths, f. maths, physics and chemistry which I hope to carry on next year) so I don't know whether unis would still prefer if I did it even though I take relatively hard subjects. :confused:

Advice is appreciated, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    The EPQ is a lot of work. I think people underestimate how much time it'll truly take up - I know I did. In the end, it ends up as a couple of sentences (at most) on your personal statement.

I'm not saying don't do it, because it's actually quite enjoyable doing independent research on a topic you've actually chosen, but it shouldn't get to the point where your actual grades suffer. At a lot of the uni talks I went to, the admissions people said they didn't really look at the EPQ, which seems a massive waste of all those hours put in.

All in all, I don't really feel like it was an efficient allocation of my time, and given the difficulty of your subjects, you might just want to focus on them.

Hope this helped

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.