Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveluis10)
    Strange how different courses work - people talking about finishing their first placement today - I still have 5 weeks left when I go back, but I'm secondary so maybe it's different?

Head of Department said there may be a job going but A) it's likely to be only part time and B) I wouldn't really like to work there anyway. The atmosphere is a bit toxic at times, the standards are quite low and it's in a difficult area, plus it's too big for me, I'd prefer a smaller more community feel style school like I went to when I was a pupil.

I've enjoyed my time so far there and the staff are a laugh, mentor is fine. Just couldn't see myself working there.

Will have to politely decline if it gets mentioned that there's an application process - will be awkward but have to do what is best for me right?
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who's found atmosphere at a school toxic. I hope they're not all like that!

__

I'm so relieved I've finished for Christmas. I also handed in my 5000 word essay that was due on 6th January. Not sure if it's Masters standard but oh well, that wasn't really my aim for doing a PGCE anyway, though I tried my best.

I got graded satisfactory at my review which personally I'm happy about because i's my first placement and it gives me room for improvement. Though I know some people got graded good. I think it's because they've got more experience.

I'm at this placement until the middle of Feb which is a bit urgh. I've got another 5000 word essay due in April and then I start placement 2 which takes me up to July. And lots of observations etc as well.

As for over Christmas, doing bitty Uni work and planning for first week back, but I'm only working for the next few days and then I'm going to switch off completely.

Well done us for still being on the course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CTVicky)
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who's found atmosphere at a school toxic. I hope they're not all like that!

__

I'm so relieved I've finished for Christmas. I also handed in my 5000 word essay that was due on 6th January. Not sure if it's Masters standard but oh well, that wasn't really my aim for doing a PGCE anyway, though I tried my best.

I got graded satisfactory at my review which personally I'm happy about because i's my first placement and it gives me room for improvement. Though I know some people got graded good. I think it's because they've got more experience.

I'm at this placement until the middle of Feb which is a bit urgh. I've got another 5000 word essay due in April and then I start placement 2 which takes me up to July. And lots of observations etc as well.

As for over Christmas, doing bitty Uni work and planning for first week back, but I'm only working for the next few days and then I'm going to switch off completely.

Well done us for still being on the course!

Yours sounds very similar to mine - I assume you mean you start second placement in March until July? That's the case with me.

Also done my 5000 word essay already and it's in for 6th Jan. got another 5000 word essay in for May.

We didn't get graded satisfactory, good or outstanding for this review. We only had two options for each standard - 'cause for concern' or 'expected progress'. I got EP for every standard from my mentor. I know myself where I need to improve (differentiation, slightly firmer with behaviour and formative assessment mainly) and like you I'm going to spend most of this break relaxing but dedicate 2 or 3 days to doing bits of Uni work and planning for my lessons when I come back to school on the 8th Jan.

My tutor will be coming in to see a lesson at some point in January so that makes me nervous as her standards will be a lot higher than my mentor's. Just going to really plan the hell out of that lesson and do the best I can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steveluis10)
    Yours sounds very similar to mine - I assume you mean you start second placement in March until July? That's the case with me.

Also done my 5000 word essay already and it's in for 6th Jan. got another 5000 word essay in for May.

We didn't get graded satisfactory, good or outstanding for this review. We only had two options for each standard - 'cause for concern' or 'expected progress'. I got EP for every standard from my mentor. I know myself where I need to improve (differentiation, slightly firmer with behaviour and formative assessment mainly) and like you I'm going to spend most of this break relaxing but dedicate 2 or 3 days to doing bits of Uni work and planning for my lessons when I come back to school on the 8th Jan.

My tutor will be coming in to see a lesson at some point in January so that makes me nervous as her standards will be a lot higher than my mentor's. Just going to really plan the hell out of that lesson and do the best I can.
    Yeah with my first observation with my mentor I got making required progress, it was that or not making required progress, but my last review was a different one, it was with my class teacher and mentor, so it was a bit different.

ReputationRep:
    I notice you wrote your post in 2010. I take it you got through the pgce? I am 3 months in and struggling. I'm a mature student with 2 kids. Lesson plans are taking me ages too and I have so much to do over Christmas I don't know where to start!

ReputationRep:
    Well my grand plan to spend 5 hours working on my assignments failed well and truly. Didn't do it on Sunday, didn't do it yesterday. Christmas is such a hard time to lock yourself away to do work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hayls32)
    I notice you wrote your post in 2010. I take it you got through the pgce? I am 3 months in and struggling. I'm a mature student with 2 kids. Lesson plans are taking me ages too and I have so much to do over Christmas I don't know where to start!
    This is a tough time of year, especially for people with kids. Remember, lesson plans get quicker and quicker as you go through the year. They don't ask have to be perfect and detailed, try cutting down and using shorthand, and focusing on what you need to teach the lesson.

Also regarding stuff to do just remind yourself that you can only do so much. Do one thing at a time and focus on that one thing, don't worry about the rest of the list because if its not done then well it's not done, you can't make more time (unfortunately! Oh how I'd love a time Turner!) So oh well. At least you got some things done. And it is ok to spend time having fun with your family even when you have lots of work to do. It will benefit you all.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As a trainee teacher at school how much PPA and non-contact time are we entitled as a minimum?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Advice)
    As a trainee teacher at school how much PPA and non-contact time are we entitled as a minimum?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not sure there are any legal rules (though there may be), I think the uni decides how much teaching you should be doing, since you are doing training with them, not actually being a teacher. However, I would expect all unis to require that you have an NQT timetable, which would mean 20% off (or basically, 2 lots of normal ppa- as an nqt one lot is your nqt time to be used as professional development).

If your school is routinely not providing you with the amount your uni designates then I'd gently remind them that your uni says you need this.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    As the previous poster said, I am not aware of any official amount.

That said, your university presumably has a designated timetable of teaching hours for you. For instance, in my first placement I was expected to teach 50% of an NQT timetable (which works out as 10 hours per week in most schools, on the basis of 5 x 1 hour lessons or 6 x 50 minute lessons per day) and in my 2nd placement it was 67% (13-14 hours per week).

On that basis, the rest would be PPA although it may also include your weekly mentor meeting, observing other teachers, and other activities such as supporting pupils in a different department for experience (I just did 1 hour per fortnight supporting in a bottom set maths class). It's fair enough to have a few things in this time, but I wouldn't expect it to be too full as you have a reduced timetable for a reason.

It really depends what they want you to do with your frees... If they're putting a lot of stuff in place for CPD, then fair enough, but you could still remind them that this is all on top of the university's requirements if you find it getting too much. On the other hand, if they're trying to use you a lot as unpaid support staff/supply and you are struggling to keep on top of the work you actually need to do, then get the university involved...

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    NQTs are entitled to 10% PPA and 10% NQT time (observing others, training etc) so altogether that works out as a full day. As a student you should be getting at least that, although I'm not sure if there's any official entitlement. I always got 20% PPA, 10% observing other teachers and then a mix of teaching or team teaching made up the rest of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flamingoshoes)
    NQTs are entitled to 10% PPA and 10% NQT time (observing others, training etc) so altogether that works out as a full day. As a student you should be getting at least that, although I'm not sure if there's any official entitlement. I always got 20% PPA, 10% observing other teachers and then a mix of teaching or team teaching made up the rest of it.
    And during that PPA time are you allowed to leave the premises?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    And during that PPA time are you allowed to leave the premises?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Depends entirely on the school. The school I'm at for my NQT has nowhere for us to work during PPA so we can go home, but on placement I stayed in school. A couple of times I went out for school visits for jobs, and I know people who spent PPA at home. You'll have to see what your school's guidelines are.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For me, it was half a day for each.

ReputationRep:
    It's been very nice having a week just relaxing, eating, drinking, sleeping and enjoying myself...but now i think I aught to do some work and stop pretending I'm not on my PGCE course!

Going to have a day or two working then a bit more relaxing then we'll nearly be going back.

I feel a bit of dread for some reason about going back - I'm always like that when I take a break from something then have to go back to it. My tutor is going to come in to observe a lesson in January as well I think so that fills me with dread.

I think not having that safety net of being in Uni twice a week and seeing all my course mates is making me quite nervous - it's going to be full on school week after week with nowhere to hide when things go wrong

ReputationRep:
    Ahh back to lesson planning.

Got 5 done to start me off for when I go back. Think my classes have their assessments next week so should have time to get a few more done in school.

I've worked out that doing my PowerPoints first makes it so much easier to write up the plan as before I was doing it the other way round!

Taking me about an hour and a half per lesson now but gathering and printing resources takes about another half an hour to an hour.

I've been saving and using some slides from TES but I much prefer having my own - takes longer but I feel more in control of it and it's personalised.

Going to have to ask my mentor if I can stay behind after school one day and just have an hour or two on the interactive whiteboard to get confident with it. I just rely on PowerPoints and writing on the normal whiteboard at the moment out of fear but I'd like to improve my capabilities for prospective employers if nothing else!

ReputationRep:
    The IWB is so intuitive - you'll figure it out in no time. No one's ever taught me and I manage fine. It's definitely better than using powerpoint - being able to write over the top of my presentation is something I find invaluable.

I'm planning to spend part of this evening making myself a detailed timetable for my upcoming final assessed placement so I can fit in all of my planning and resourcing without having a small mental breakdown (not exaggerating - last placement I spent 6 solid weeks on the verge of tears). Well done on already getting your planning sorted for next week. I find the resources the worst part - they just take so long sometimes! It always seems like the most exciting and interesting ideas I have for lessons are always the ones that require hours of printing, cutting, laminating and organising!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeLynsey)
    The IWB is so intuitive - you'll figure it out in no time. No one's ever taught me and I manage fine. It's definitely better than using powerpoint - being able to write over the top of my presentation is something I find invaluable.

I'm planning to spend part of this evening making myself a detailed timetable for my upcoming final assessed placement so I can fit in all of my planning and resourcing without having a small mental breakdown (not exaggerating - last placement I spent 6 solid weeks on the verge of tears). Well done on already getting your planning sorted for next week. I find the resources the worst part - they just take so long sometimes! It always seems like the most exciting and interesting ideas I have for lessons are always the ones that require hours of printing, cutting, laminating and organising!
    Is it compulsory to make your own resources?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No...but if you want a good and exciting lesson then it's going to have to happen!
    Sometimes they can be found online but they're never exactly as you want/ need them...
    Happy new year everyone :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunfowers01)
    Is it compulsory to make your own resources?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I would stay that if it is something you can borrow and then adjust to suit you then there is no need to make your own from scratch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Definitely having an "I can't do this" moment.

Go to a new school tomorrow, Year 2 in a school with 28 different languages and very different styles of teaching to that I'm used to. Also my classroom doesn't have a door, simply half a wall which leads into the next class. Pretty Tough!

I've only planned tomorrows lessons, one because I'm totally stumped on what to start with, with a class that's so mixed and two, because I don't know what they can already do.
    Observation week was the week before christmas, therefore I saw no real teaching and no real idea of how the kids learn best.

My whole week is gonna be playing catch up but I didn't see the point in planning and preparing lessons when by Tuesday they could be totally lost, or way way ahead!

I think I'm gonna hate this week.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.