The Student Room Group

PGCE - Current Students Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2720
Original post by Mr Advice
As a trainee teacher at school how much PPA and non-contact time are we entitled as a minimum?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure there are any legal rules (though there may be), I think the uni decides how much teaching you should be doing, since you are doing training with them, not actually being a teacher. However, I would expect all unis to require that you have an NQT timetable, which would mean 20% off (or basically, 2 lots of normal ppa- as an nqt one lot is your nqt time to be used as professional development).

If your school is routinely not providing you with the amount your uni designates then I'd gently remind them that your uni says you need this.

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
As a trainee teacher at school how much PPA and non-contact time are we entitled as a minimum?

Posted from TSR Mobile

As the previous poster said, I am not aware of any official amount.

That said, your university presumably has a designated timetable of teaching hours for you. For instance, in my first placement I was expected to teach 50% of an NQT timetable (which works out as 10 hours per week in most schools, on the basis of 5 x 1 hour lessons or 6 x 50 minute lessons per day) and in my 2nd placement it was 67% (13-14 hours per week).

On that basis, the rest would be PPA although it may also include your weekly mentor meeting, observing other teachers, and other activities such as supporting pupils in a different department for experience (I just did 1 hour per fortnight supporting in a bottom set maths class). It's fair enough to have a few things in this time, but I wouldn't expect it to be too full as you have a reduced timetable for a reason.

It really depends what they want you to do with your frees... If they're putting a lot of stuff in place for CPD, then fair enough, but you could still remind them that this is all on top of the university's requirements if you find it getting too much. On the other hand, if they're trying to use you a lot as unpaid support staff/supply and you are struggling to keep on top of the work you actually need to do, then get the university involved...

Posted from TSR Mobile

NQTs are entitled to 10% PPA and 10% NQT time (observing others, training etc) so altogether that works out as a full day. As a student you should be getting at least that, although I'm not sure if there's any official entitlement. I always got 20% PPA, 10% observing other teachers and then a mix of teaching or team teaching made up the rest of it.
Original post by flamingoshoes
NQTs are entitled to 10% PPA and 10% NQT time (observing others, training etc) so altogether that works out as a full day. As a student you should be getting at least that, although I'm not sure if there's any official entitlement. I always got 20% PPA, 10% observing other teachers and then a mix of teaching or team teaching made up the rest of it.

And during that PPA time are you allowed to leave the premises?

Posted from TSR Mobile
And during that PPA time are you allowed to leave the premises?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Depends entirely on the school. The school I'm at for my NQT has nowhere for us to work during PPA so we can go home, but on placement I stayed in school. A couple of times I went out for school visits for jobs, and I know people who spent PPA at home. You'll have to see what your school's guidelines are.
Reply 2725

Posted from TSR Mobile

For me, it was half a day for each.
It's been very nice having a week just relaxing, eating, drinking, sleeping and enjoying myself...but now i think I aught to do some work and stop pretending I'm not on my PGCE course!

Going to have a day or two working then a bit more relaxing then we'll nearly be going back.

I feel a bit of dread for some reason about going back - I'm always like that when I take a break from something then have to go back to it. My tutor is going to come in to observe a lesson in January as well I think so that fills me with dread.

I think not having that safety net of being in Uni twice a week and seeing all my course mates is making me quite nervous - it's going to be full on school week after week with nowhere to hide when things go wrong :frown:
Ahh back to lesson planning.

Got 5 done to start me off for when I go back. Think my classes have their assessments next week so should have time to get a few more done in school.

I've worked out that doing my PowerPoints first makes it so much easier to write up the plan as before I was doing it the other way round!

Taking me about an hour and a half per lesson now but gathering and printing resources takes about another half an hour to an hour.

I've been saving and using some slides from TES but I much prefer having my own - takes longer but I feel more in control of it and it's personalised.

Going to have to ask my mentor if I can stay behind after school one day and just have an hour or two on the interactive whiteboard to get confident with it. I just rely on PowerPoints and writing on the normal whiteboard at the moment out of fear but I'd like to improve my capabilities for prospective employers if nothing else!
The IWB is so intuitive - you'll figure it out in no time. No one's ever taught me and I manage fine. It's definitely better than using powerpoint - being able to write over the top of my presentation is something I find invaluable.

I'm planning to spend part of this evening making myself a detailed timetable for my upcoming final assessed placement so I can fit in all of my planning and resourcing without having a small mental breakdown (not exaggerating - last placement I spent 6 solid weeks on the verge of tears). Well done on already getting your planning sorted for next week. I find the resources the worst part - they just take so long sometimes! It always seems like the most exciting and interesting ideas I have for lessons are always the ones that require hours of printing, cutting, laminating and organising!
Original post by TraineeLynsey
The IWB is so intuitive - you'll figure it out in no time. No one's ever taught me and I manage fine. It's definitely better than using powerpoint - being able to write over the top of my presentation is something I find invaluable.

I'm planning to spend part of this evening making myself a detailed timetable for my upcoming final assessed placement so I can fit in all of my planning and resourcing without having a small mental breakdown (not exaggerating - last placement I spent 6 solid weeks on the verge of tears). Well done on already getting your planning sorted for next week. I find the resources the worst part - they just take so long sometimes! It always seems like the most exciting and interesting ideas I have for lessons are always the ones that require hours of printing, cutting, laminating and organising!

Is it compulsory to make your own resources?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2730
No...but if you want a good and exciting lesson then it's going to have to happen!
Sometimes they can be found online but they're never exactly as you want/ need them...
Happy new year everyone :-)
Original post by sunfowers01
Is it compulsory to make your own resources?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would stay that if it is something you can borrow and then adjust to suit you then there is no need to make your own from scratch.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Definitely having an "I can't do this" moment.

Go to a new school tomorrow, Year 2 in a school with 28 different languages and very different styles of teaching to that I'm used to. Also my classroom doesn't have a door, simply half a wall which leads into the next class. Pretty Tough!

I've only planned tomorrows lessons, one because I'm totally stumped on what to start with, with a class that's so mixed and two, because I don't know what they can already do.
Observation week was the week before christmas, therefore I saw no real teaching and no real idea of how the kids learn best.

My whole week is gonna be playing catch up but I didn't see the point in planning and preparing lessons when by Tuesday they could be totally lost, or way way ahead!

I think I'm gonna hate this week.
Original post by bethanyrae
Definitely having an "I can't do this" moment.

Go to a new school tomorrow, Year 2 in a school with 28 different languages and very different styles of teaching to that I'm used to. Also my classroom doesn't have a door, simply half a wall which leads into the next class. Pretty Tough!

I've only planned tomorrows lessons, one because I'm totally stumped on what to start with, with a class that's so mixed and two, because I don't know what they can already do.
Observation week was the week before christmas, therefore I saw no real teaching and no real idea of how the kids learn best.

My whole week is gonna be playing catch up but I didn't see the point in planning and preparing lessons when by Tuesday they could be totally lost, or way way ahead!

I think I'm gonna hate this week.

I would take the same approach as you. Try to relax and not stress about it.
Original post by sunfowers01
I would take the same approach as you. Try to relax and not stress about it.

Thank you! At least someone else would follow my crazy ideas of not being 100% prepped!
I'm not overly prepped for this week either - I have several lesson plans done but I'm not 100% sure if they're valid for this week. The communication isn't great at my school so I tend to take each day as it comes.
Back to PGCE tomorrow. But at uni so not too bad. Been a nice break and only six weeks before another.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwerty_mad
Back to PGCE tomorrow. But at uni so not too bad. Been a nice break and only six weeks before another.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good. Glad you enjoyed the break. I don't get half term, so Easter is my next break. Long term ahead.
Why don't you get half term? Good luck!
Start my second placement tomorrow. It's basically the polar opposite of my current school so should be interesting.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending