The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2720
Pooled by Pembroke PPS and fished out by Trinity earlier this week! Well, fished out for a re-interview to be specific.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2721
The thread falling silent is a sign it's time for bed! I'm looking forward to hearing feedback if I do get rejected.
Nighty-night fishies....

Today I almost started crying in school (well, actually, I could feel the tears...) after I checked my e-mail during lunch and : NOTHING...
Emotional breakdown... :frown:

Cambridge doesn't like people with American qualifications who would pay EU fees... :frown:

GOOD LUCK to everyone! We are ALLLL beyond awesome... no matter what...!!!!! we were pooled.... :smile:
Reply 2723
Really hope everyone hear the good news tomorrow.. :smile:
Original post by ETGREEN
Pooled by Pembroke PPS and fished out by Trinity earlier this week! Well, fished out for a re-interview to be specific.

congrats :smile: what did u apply for?
Original post by thecranberry

Original post by thecranberry
Nighty-night fishies....

Today I almost started crying in school (well, actually, I could feel the tears...) after I checked my e-mail during lunch and : NOTHING...
Emotional breakdown... :frown:

Cambridge doesn't like people with American qualifications who would pay EU fees... :frown:

GOOD LUCK to everyone! We are ALLLL beyond awesome... no matter what...!!!!! we were pooled.... :smile:

There are many great minds that would never have been picked by Cambridge. I doubt they would have picked Einstein based on his school record. This pool will either make you appreciate your place all the more, or take you down a different path. You can't assume that the alternate path will be any less promising.
Reply 2726
10th Jan a Natsci pooled by Trinity received interview invite to Magdalene, another friend comp sci not sure of original college but to be interviewed by Homerton; Trinity pooled chem eng via Natsci has heard nothing; Natsci pooled by Jesus heard nothing; engineering (not sure from where but heard has an offer but no college yet specified); ......hoping 11th might bring some good news ...:coma:
pooled by gonville and caius for affiliated theology, fished by Hughes Hall tuesday morning by email. Hold out hope - this thread has been a lifesaver since last week..
get an email from track and find out my application to cambridge is unsuccessful. that means no results from pool system. i burst into tears. feel soooo deperessed. any college will be good but no at all. my cambridge dream just stop here but wish all of you who are still swimming good luck!
Original post by EllenZhang
get an email from track and find out my application to cambridge is unsuccessful. that means no results from pool system. i burst into tears. feel soooo deperessed. any college will be good but no at all. my cambridge dream just stop here but wish all of you who are still swimming good luck!

:frown:
sorry to hear this... I know what you mean by the Cambridge dream...:/ I wish you all the best, I'm sure you will have an amazing experience, whatever university you end up going to!!!!!
Good morning(still very very early for you) from someone in the +8 time zone! Swim harder, fishes!
Original post by colorfulshadow

Original post by colorfulshadow
Good morning(still very very early for you) from someone in the +8 time zone! Swim harder, fishes!

Yes, it's difficult being in another time zone. It's late afternoon on Wednesday in Australia right now. It may be only 5am in the UK, but it feels as though another day has passed without a word.
Reply 2732
Hi Minerva,

I need your view.
just received a rejection letter from Queens' Economics Department dated 4th January 2012, though I did write to them an email as you suggested but with no reply whatsoever 2 days ago.
I understand that the pooling exercise just started around that time.
How could they reject a student when the pooling document says they Must place students achieving their 3 best AS subject with an overall average of 93% or more in at least Category P (mine being 97%)?
My read of that document appears it's not discretionary, it is mandatory!
Did I miss anything to the opposite effect?
I am writing a pretty strong letter querying them now but want to hear your response first.
If you please........
Reply 2733
Original post by parito
Hi Minerva,

I need your view.
just received a rejection letter from Queens' Economics Department dated 4th January 2012, though I did write to them an email as you suggested but with no reply whatsoever 2 days ago.
I understand that the pooling exercise just started around that time.
How could they reject a student when the pooling document says they Must place students achieving their 3 best AS subject with an overall average of 93% or more in at least Category P (mine being 97%)?
My read of that document appears it's not discretionary, it is mandatory!
Did I miss anything to the opposite effect?
I am writing a pretty strong letter querying them now but want to hear your response first.
If you please........
I'm sorry you've had to wait so long for your letter.

Yes, on the face of it (as you weren't applying for Maths or Medicine) you should have been auto-pooled. You can ask the college why you weren't, but remember that even if you had been this was no guarantee of an offer. That you weren't auto-pooled suggests that although your marks are very good, other aspects of your application were not as strong as they needed to be, given how hugely competitive Economics is. We've had 24 Economics poolees report in on TSR, of whom two have been recalled for interview and two have already been rejected; none of them has yet reported a direct offer. Last year the picture was much the same.

In these circumstances, while you can make your point, I really wouldn't waste too much time and energy on this one; it really won't make any difference to the outcome, and you need now to focus on the many other good opportunities that will surely come your way.

Note to the other Economics poolees still swimming - I realise that this is not exactly encouraging for you either, but if you've been following the statistics I'm not telling you anything you didn't already know. Sorry :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2734
Original post by Random_Nublet
You from the states? I also live in the US and got pooled by Pembroke for natsci :biggrin: Did you attend an interview in December?

No I live in England :smile: So attending the interview wasn't a huge hassle
I didn't realize I could find so many international people here!
Original post by Minerva
I'm sorry you've had to wait so long for your letter.

Yes, on the face of it (as you weren't applying for Maths or Medicine) you should have been auto-pooled. You can ask the college why you weren't, but remember that even if you had been this was no guarantee of an offer. That you weren't auto-pooled suggests that although your marks are very good, other aspects of your application were not as strong as they needed to be, given how hugely competitive Economics is. We've had 24 Economics poolees report in on TSR, of whom two have been recalled for interview and two have already been rejected; none of them has yet reported a direct offer. Last year the picture was much the same.

In these circumstances, while you can make your point, I really wouldn't waste too much time and energy on this one; it really won't make any difference to the outcome, and you need now to focus on the many other good opportunities that will surely come your way.

Note to the other Economics poolees still swimming - I realise that this is not exactly encouraging for you either, but if you've been following the statistics I'm not telling you anything you didn't already know. Sorry :frown:

Did only 2 people got called for a interview last year for economics? - so 1 out of the 24 or so people got an offer in the end??
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2736
Thanks, Minerva.
I thought English people were very serious about rules of law. Rejection is rejection, yes, but should we do something about those who don't follow the rules?
As I mentioned last time, the issue is not whether I would be admitted by Queens or not, it is the issue of depriving me of the chance to be reviewed and considered by other colleges. I would be happy to be pooled and rejected if things were as they should. If they could exercise their discretion in using other weaknesses of mine to overrule the 93% benchmark, why on earth then for publishing that document and let the public know?
I'm not wasting my time on this as I've already made my applications to a number of top US unis. I wanted to try Cambridge because I've been in the British education system throughout.
I believe I have my righteous anger at this incidence and I don't want this to happen to other students in the coming years. Should this forum take this an issue at all?
Thanks again for your patience.
Reply 2737
Minerva, please do you have time to post the latest stats? Thank you.
Reply 2738
Original post by lordvulture
Did only 2 people got called for a interview last year for economics? - so 1 out of the 24 or so people got an offer in the end??
Last year, there were 25 Economics poolees - of whom one got a direct offer, three were interviewed but we never heard the outcome, and nine were definitely rejected.

Original post by parito
Thanks, Minerva.
I thought English people were very serious about rules of law. Rejection is rejection, yes, but should we do something about those who don't follow the rules?
As I mentioned last time, the issue is not whether I would be admitted by Queens or not, it is the issue of depriving me of the chance to be reviewed and considered by other colleges. I would be happy to be pooled and rejected if things were as they should. If they could exercise their discretion in using other weaknesses of mine to overrule the 93% benchmark, why on earth then for publishing that document and let the public know?
I'm not wasting my time on this as I've already made my applications to a number of top US unis. I wanted to try Cambridge because I've been in the British education system throughout.
I believe I have my righteous anger at this incidence and I don't want this to happen to other students in the coming years. Should this forum take this an issue at all?
Thanks again for your patience.
Mistakes do happen, in the best organised systems. Clearly this was one. You have no legal right of redress, certainly, and this forum equally has no role in pursuing it.

Original post by Bensint
Minerva, please do you have time to post the latest stats? Thank you.
Done - but after today I shall be posting updates less frequently, as there will be less 'traffic' on here - and I have a few other things to claim my attention later this week. But I will still be around and will post mini-updates when I can.
Reply 2739
Original post by ghilee
No like i have an open day interview for UCL :smile:
All my offers will be conditional because i'm still 고2 so this is my second round of APs
Which means i have to work :'(

Do you mean that you are still in your 11th year? (or 12th year in the UK)? How can you possibly apply universities without graduating schools before upcoming new school year in September 2012?

Original post by xsoulsistax

Haha I know, bit of a roller coaster ride! Was completely expecting another rejection so a letter to say I'd been pooled was a shock! Yes I think I met you briefly whilst you were talking to a girl with dark brown hair as everyone left the hut- do you wear glasses? There were sooo many applying for pps at Jesus!

Yup, thick black glasses. I thought there were not many pps-ers in Jesus because students I met in the common room and the dining hall were mostly engineers or medics. The testing at the hut was my first time meeting fellow pps people, actually. Jesus haven't sent out any rejections for fish, have they?

Latest

Trending

Trending