Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that I cannot get back into my school... I need so many damn A's it's not even funny. The only subject I'm confident about is maths... I would have been confident in English but for some reason for one of the exams my English just failed me and I couldn't come up with any coherent sentences, and plus my last 2 coursework pieces didn't go very well. Same goes for my history... The way I usually write just didn't come to me especially in my last exam and I for some reason I just left out so many techniques. Hopefully my coursework pulls me through. Another subject is classical civilisation which I would have been confident about except that I got a B in the coursework. My french writing exam wasn't very good either simply because I didn't revise which I blame myself for. Listening was appalling but it's always been like that for me. For all 3 sciences, I barely revised either and made so many stupid errors and there were definitely bits that I didn't know especially in physics. Latin wasn't bad in the literature but my language papers are always quite bad since I don't revise grammar. I have some hope in Art but then again, I did nothing throughout the year although I did catch up to doing all the required pieces by the end, but still wouldn't put too much hope on it since I've done the least in my sketchbooks out of everybody... So knowing all of that how am I ever getting back into my school? I'm going to be one of the few every year not to get back in. Anyone want to consolidate me somewhat?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if I can repeat my GCSE Physics controlled assessment in year 12? I'm on Edexcel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kalios)
    Does anyone know if I can repeat my GCSE Physics controlled assessment in year 12? I'm on Edexcel.
    Edexcel-er here too

As far as I'm aware, as long as you don't cash in your final grade, you can continue. However, you will have to do a different one, e.g on a diff topic/diff hypothesis. Also, charges will occur I think for the re-sit for a re-mark, etc

I'd get this checked but I'm quite sure this is what will happen!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elixirs)
    Edexcel-er here too

As far as I'm aware, as long as you don't cash in your final grade, you can continue. However, you will have to do a different one, e.g on a diff topic/diff hypothesis. Also, charges will occur I think for the re-sit for a re-mark, etc

I'd get this checked but I'm quite sure this is what will happen!
    I think you have to resit one of the exams aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Red Fox)
    I think you have to resit one of the exams aswell.
    Yup!
    You're right. I guess it also justifies you carrying it onto Year 12 that way.
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Study Helper
    (Original post by ResultInExcellence)
    Does anyone who's signed up for Edexcel Direct Results (online Edexcel results), know when the results will be published? I've heard that they're available at midnight despite what the website says yet I've also heard that it's in the morning around 6am. Does anyone who perhaps have siblings or any past experience know when they're available?
    Usually at 6am.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jatz07)
    It's like a subject you take but it's coursework based and you get graded on it... e.g. some people do btec business rather than gcse or something throughout the whole year:

For Btec:
    Distinction* = A*
    Distinction = A
    Merit = B
    Pass = C

Although it's not as respected and it's easier compared to gcse level, but it is the equivalent of a GCSE grade, so if you get a distinction that correlates to a GCSE A grade,

Jatz
    For OCR Nationals Level 2 Double GCSE:
    Distinction:A*A
    Merit:AB
    Pass:CC
    For OCR Nationals Level 2 Single GCSE:
    Distinction:A
    Merit:B
    Pass:C

ReputationRep:
    Reading exam I am quite confident about. Was getting high 30's on past papers and I think I have 35+. Listening was difficult in my opinion. In particular the questions about job interviews and the one about a camping trip or something. I'll be lucky to scrape 30 in that. I'm usually very accurate with my mark predictions.
    Ah, cool. I'm expecting to lose max. 2 marks in Listening and probably full marks in the Reading.

Having Portuguese as a native language helps A LOT (probably had to put in a quarter of the effort others did), the only problem for me would be that I would have casually slipped into speaking Portuguese in the oral exam . The languages are so similar it can happen so easily.

Still not expecting any less than an A* though. Hopefully you'll get what your aiming for too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elixirs)
    Okay firstly replying to a reply I sent a FEW DAYS AGO to SOMEONE ELSE... that's a little much, no?

Not illegal. But would warrant a disqualification... however it is hard to prove and it is a common thing amongst BTEC coursework, this cannot be denied especially by anyone who has done a BTEC in the past like myself.

The reason some may not respect BTEC is because of the lack of monitoring and the ease of cheating, finding a short cut to a quick qualification if you like.

Really? again that's easy to say at the end of the day
    The coursework moderation is about the same for OCR Nationals,BTEC and GCSE both get a sample of students and check for things like plagiarism.It should theoretically be about as easy to cheat in both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalek1099)
    The coursework moderation is about the same for OCR Nationals,BTEC and GCSE both get a sample of students and check for things like plagiarism.It should theoretically be about as easy to cheat in both.
    Yes, that is the GCSE coursework element not the rest of the GCSE examination.

Also, yes I know that some GCSEs are mainly coursework in themselves.

However, that is not the point I'm trying to state. My point is that GCSEs and BTECs are not compatible for you to make complete direct comparisons. Otherwise, they would not exist side by side.

ReputationRep:
    worried about physics. did the OCR gateway exam. wasn't myself during the exam at all. I seemed to completely shut down. the six mark questions were horrible (although annoyingly, all the answers seemed to come to me immediately after the exam). not sure about my coursework grade which makes it all the more worrying. the suspense is killing me!

I also regret doing graphics product design on the AQA board

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mário)
    Ah, cool. I'm expecting to lose max. 2 marks in Listening and probably full marks in the Reading.

Having Portuguese as a native language helps A LOT (probably had to put in a quarter of the effort others did), the only problem for me would be that I would have casually slipped into speaking Portuguese in the oral exam . The languages are so similar it can happen so easily.
    Still not expecting any less than an A* though. Hopefully you'll get what your aiming for too.
    Wanted an A* but I've already accepted I have an A but hopefully a pleasant surprise for me next Thursday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dopeyboi)
    worried about physics. did the OCR gateway exam. wasn't myself during the exam at all. I seemed to completely shut down. the six mark questions were horrible (although annoyingly, all the answers seemed to come to me immediately after the exam). not sure about my coursework grade which makes it all the more worrying. the suspense is killing me!

I did that exam! Physics was the hardest imo :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dopeyboi)

I thought the biology 6 markers were awful.

ReputationRep:
    I thought the biology 6 markers were awful.
    What were they again

ReputationRep:
    anyone going in on Thursday to get their additional maths results?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    anyone going in on Thursday to get their additional maths results?
    :nah: my A2 Maths though!:eek: and History..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    I did that exam! Physics was the hardest imo :yep:
    In order of descending difficulty I'd say Biology, Physics then Chemistry. Although my memory is a bit patchy.

ReputationRep:
    :awesome: it's good fun
    Our school has a big awards ceremony, where you get a certificate for completing it. Then there are awards for getting highest in the year in each individual subject and then other prizes.

ReputationRep:
    :nah: my A2 Maths though!:eek: and History..
    ooooh, are you excited or nervous or both?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.