Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScaryScience)
    im really really upset this is not ok. thinking over about ACT I've been doing cause the last session is on Monday. I haven't seen any improvement whatsoever and I tried really hard. its so disheartening. I cannot go on like this and I have a plan. im not really sure why im doing this. its so pointless. there is no hope. I don't see how it can get better. I wont just wake up and be ok. but nothing seems to work. I have countless numbers of people who are all 'stuck'. im fed up of people feeling 'stuck' and then abandoning me. I am so upset and alone.
    :hugs: I don't know anything about ACT, but PM me if you'd like to talk about it/brainstorm how to make it more effective?

And you're not alone, you've got us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valvopus)
    I don't reply because I am terrible at giving advice that isn't stick your head in the sand and ignore it or run away, neither are helpful. I also sometimes feel anxious about replying to people I don't know.
    For what it's worth: if your course terminates can you change course within your university? Can you do the course at a different university? Maybe get a part time job for this year so you don't have to move back home and you can work out what to do next. No one knows what exactly is going to happen in the future, and that can be scary.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for responding. But no, it's probably going to come down to the funding now. That's how long my problems have been with me. Its not that I'm incapable of performing well enough. It's the sleep disruption and other factors I've not quite got a handle in which make it hard for me to approach university how it needs to be approached - attending lectures, keeping up with work. I think there may be a social side involved with why things have gone wrong at university but not quite figured out exactly what it is. The short and skinny of it is I've had long running problems which I haven't recognised as as significant problems as they actually are until fairly recently and when I have recognised it I've been mucked about. I've spent almost a year trying to get a referral that shouldn't have taken much more than a month or two max, as far as I'm concerned. If not less. I had two recommendations for a referral but it has to be made by the doctor or something.

The getting a job bit is what scares me, and I also feel like I would be failing myself by failing out of uni. I don't know what job I could do that wouldnt make me miserable. I've thought about moving away from home but I need money and ideally a support network. It's something I'm going to discuss with a friend soon but I'm scared. I've has this plan for so long. This plan I knew I was capable of and I haven't been able to overcome the obstacles that allow me to complete it. I can't live solitarily, I've been lonely maybe two thirds of my life and even if it's only acquaintances it's better than having nothing and no one to interact with.

I just wanted my degree so once that was done I could choose to do what I wanted. I wouldn't mind going to the Netherlands and working at a youth hostel for a bit but I need medical help and I don't know if I can receive it there and whether it'd be better to wait to get the medical help here first.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superwolf)
    :hugs: I don't know anything about ACT, but PM me if you'd like to talk about it/brainstorm how to make it more effective?

And you're not alone, you've got us.
    thank you, appreciated. tbh I don't really agree that the main concepts of it can be applied to my situation. its designed for depression and anxiety sufferers, but I find my brain works differently to the 'norm' due to the way BPD interacts with the depression. Don't wanna bore you with all the reasons and ins and outs, but I can't identify with the theory basically. Maybe DBT would work better for me as it's more emotions based. Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    thank you, appreciated. tbh I don't really agree that the main concepts of it can be applied to my situation. its designed for depression and anxiety sufferers, but I find my brain works differently to the 'norm' due to the way BPD interacts with the depression. Don't wanna bore you with all the reasons and ins and outs, but I can't identify with the theory basically. Maybe DBT would work better for me as it's more emotions based. Sigh.
    :hugs: Have you pushed for DBT or had a proper set of sessions with a psychologist (one who gets you!) about what therapies might be more helpful and relate-able? Could also be worth speaking to a few people on here who've been through DBT or any other therapies you'd consider - I think bullettheory's done DBT, although I might be mistaken?

You won't bore me, so if you do want to talk then PM me whenever.

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: Have you pushed for DBT or had a proper set of sessions with a psychologist (one who gets you!) about what therapies might be more helpful and relate-able? Could also be worth speaking to a few people on here who've been through DBT or any other therapies you'd consider - I think bullettheory's done DBT, although I might be mistaken?

You won't bore me, so if you do want to talk then PM me whenever.
    No I haven't. Basically when I was assessed in February (by MH nurse) she said she would put me on the list for another assessment to decide which therapy would be best for me. That never came, unsurprisingly. Without a formal diagnosis I think DBT probably isn't an option, because it's primarily aimed at BPD sufferers and waiting lists are ridiculous. But now I'm discharged from CMHT so I'm back at square one with everything

ReputationRep:
    No I haven't. Basically when I was assessed in February (by MH nurse) she said she would put me on the list for another assessment to decide which therapy would be best for me. That never came, unsurprisingly. Without a formal diagnosis I think DBT probably isn't an option, because it's primarily aimed at BPD sufferers and waiting lists are ridiculous. But now I'm discharged from CMHT so I'm back at square one with everything
    So frustrating when you get told you've been referred etc. and it all comes to nothing! Have you tried speaking to a mental health advocate? Might help to have someone fighting on your behalf, to give you a bit of a break from the battle.

ReputationRep:
    In celebration of finally getting through security after 10 hours at the airport I have decided that food is needed. May have ordered far too much but so nommy I'm quite pleased. Did get some weird looks though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexs2602)
    Do I have to keep calling out the regulars on this thread? I'm in quite a mentally distressing situation and very few people have anything to say and when they do it can be because I bring attention to how little support a mental health support society offers to those who need at least some comfort. This thread is basically support between "the regulars", the accepted members of MHSS. But when I've been trying to break in and when I ask for help it proves hard.

Chances are my university course will be terminated and I'll be kicked out of university. I have a ****ty home life I don't want to go back to for the sake of my mental health. I have sleep problems, I have social problems, probably aspergers. I have next to no real friends I can rely on. Especially around me. I've received very little to no help from the NHS to help me with these problems that have made life so difficult for me. I don't really fit into British society on the whole and don't know what I would be able to do if my university course is terminated. The idea of getting a job in retail frankly fills me with dread. I need mental stimulation, at least. Probably more. Like people on my wavelength. My life is at bit of crossroads and I'm terrified of what the future holds. I want to be happy, I want a network of people who care for me, love me, want to be around me and vice versa. I want to prove to myself what I'm capable of and find my place in this world, even if that's in a different country. I don't want to do a job just for the money, I want to do a job that I can look forward to.
    I mainly don't reply because i don't spend THAT much time on here, i don't know much about you, i don't have anything helpful to say. Nobody purposely ignores anyone without good reason! I also agree with the long paragraph thing. I answer on my phone most of the time and its really hard to try and reply properly when you keep having to scroll up etc.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, no, no idea, why I quoted you. My laptop acts a bit weired at the moment, so sorry...

ReputationRep:
    So scared about going back to uni I had friendship problems last year (verging on bullying) and I spent most weekends at home rather than at uni. I went through a rubbish patch with anxiety as well and I've only just started to come out of it a bit but I know it will just happen again, I've been like this since I was 14 :/

I tried to fit into a new group of friends at the very end of last year but having to go back now and hang out with new people is scary. Also we get our first patients next week and that's scary too, what if I forget something? I know I'm only a student but it's all just hit me and I really, really don't want to go back. I don't want anyone to hurt me anymore meeeeehhhhh

ReputationRep:
    Feeling a bit better, friends are back and I've managed to eat something and been texting the girl I'm dating

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You have new hamsters and didn't tell me???

PICTURES PLEASE.

And yeah, those tuff tubes don't really stand up to persistent chewers - possibly switch Bagel back into his old cage for now, and the new hammies into the zoozone?
    I meant to talk to you about it but i've been busy and stressed and stuffs x_x Pictures here http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topi...e-and-caramel/

And yeah i think i will, she also managed to get out of ANOTHER cage yesterday, she's so acrobatic >_> She's absolutely lovely but a right handful! Caramel is the lively mum, and sugarcube is her quiet daughter, with a lighter coat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meaty_man)
    I meant to talk to you about it but i've been busy and stressed and stuffs x_x Pictures here http://hamsterhideout.com/forum/topi...e-and-caramel/

And yeah i think i will, she also managed to get out of ANOTHER cage yesterday, she's so acrobatic >_> She's absolutely lovely but a right handful! Caramel is the lively mum, and sugarcube is her quiet daughter, with a lighter coat.
    I love Caramel's ears! The first picture of her is incredibly cute.

ReputationRep:

OMG THEYRE SO CUTEEEEE

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

They're adorable!

ReputationRep:
    all moved into uni! loving my room too, its off the path so i won't get woken up by drunk people late at night, and overlooks a lake and a field! and my neighbours are also returning students so i'm not the grumpy third year among freshers

ReputationRep:
    So frustrating when you get told you've been referred etc. and it all comes to nothing! Have you tried speaking to a mental health advocate? Might help to have someone fighting on your behalf, to give you a bit of a break from the battle.

Thanks for the suggestion - it's not something I had considered. What does that really involve? Would I have to pay? Tbh my current plan is to go to uni and just completely avoid the services and go it alone. Their incompetence knocked me massively and I'm tired of going through the same loop, and being let down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenniferann232)
    So scared about going back to uni I had friendship problems last year (verging on bullying) and I spent most weekends at home rather than at uni. I went through a rubbish patch with anxiety as well and I've only just started to come out of it a bit but I know it will just happen again, I've been like this since I was 14 :/

I tried to fit into a new group of friends at the very end of last year but having to go back now and hang out with new people is scary. Also we get our first patients next week and that's scary too, what if I forget something? I know I'm only a student but it's all just hit me and I really, really don't want to go back. I don't want anyone to hurt me anymore meeeeehhhhh
    :hugs: I know it's tough getting hurt by people and having to just go on with life and risk getting hurt again, but trust me it's better than hiding away and not letting anyone in!

Have you been in contact with the new friends much over the holidays? If there's someone you've been closer to then maybe confide in them about feeling nervous? :console:

SO CUTE. By the way preloved has tons of second-hand hamster cages if you want to look on there, and also Hamster Central does a useful thread of decent cages appearing on ebay and stuff.

PM me if you want a chat about anything. :jumphug:

(Original post by Team_McDreamy)
    all moved into uni! loving my room too, its off the path so i won't get woken up by drunk people late at night, and overlooks a lake and a field! and my neighbours are also returning students so i'm not the grumpy third year among freshers
    Sounds perfect!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the suggestion - it's not something I had considered. What does that really involve? Would I have to pay? Tbh my current plan is to go to uni and just completely avoid the services and go it alone. Their incompetence knocked me massively and I'm tired of going through the same loop, and being let down.
    It'd probably be someone from a voluntary organisation, like Mind, and it's just someone who'll help you out if you need to fill in forms and things, or attend appointments with you and stuff. The real benefit is that they'll be absolutely on your side, even if it might not be in what some people would view as your best interests, if it's what you want consistently then they'll fight for you to get the treatment/lack of treatment that you want. Better explanation on Mind. I think that since you've been messed around so much and trusting 'official' people might be an issue, having someone on your side who you know definitely cares and is working to help you might be useful.

:hugs: I know it's tough getting hurt by people and having to just go on with life and risk getting hurt again, but trust me it's better than hiding away and not letting anyone in!

Have you been in contact with the new friends much over the holidays? If there's someone you've been closer to then maybe confide in them about feeling nervous?
    I haven't spoken to this much new group much but then I don't speak to many of my friends at uni over the holidays. A few of my housemates know and most of my home friends know and another friend from uni knows and also this new group know as well. I didn't help myself last year by drifting away from people but I explained any problems I was having to them and they didn't seem to really care that much still. But then maybe they just didn't understand.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2014
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.