Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wciselko)
    Hey,

I know that Warwick does not - but do you know whether kings, barts and southampton actually look at personal statements before selecting for interviews? I am debating giving it in for a paid review but I really do not have money... just bought a winter coat and I'm truly broke.
    What do you guys think? I have done like 10 drafts already hehe
    King's don't as far as I know. They might glance over it but in terms of scoring applications, it's all on the UKCAT.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elzw)
    For personal statements have people left a line in between paragraphs or not?
    I got rid of them as I was over the line count (which seems like the most pointless thing ever), even though just under the character count.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, can anyone help please? I'm trying to sent my choices off to UKCAT, but I can't find where we're meant to put them... I've logged into my Pearson Vue account but there's nothing there...

EDIT: never mind, I found it! :P

ReputationRep:
    In need of some advice guys, my referee just emailed me saying she's busy till mid November and might not be able to do my reference. It's too late to get another referee so I'm basically screwed if she doesn't do it. Help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pharma21)
    In need of some advice guys, my referee just emailed me saying she's busy till mid November and might not be able to do my reference. It's too late to get another referee so I'm basically screwed if she doesn't do it. Help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yikes, that's terrible. I'm in an almost-similar situation in that my boss still hasn't done my reference, but pretty sure she will although it will not doubt happen on Thursday afternoon when I'll be having multiple panic attacks.

You may have already done this (and this is assuming you can't find anyone else to be referee), but is it worth politely explaining the situation, i.e. that there is a hard deadline for you of 6pm on 15 October and her reference needs to be in before then or else you cannot submit? I think if she has already agreed to give you a reference, the least she can do is follow through and write something basic, which won't take very long. Give her a PDF of the guidance for referees (from UCAS website) and maybe pull together some extra points for her to include for GEM courses. That is, try to make it as easy as possible for her, so she knows what she needs to cover!

I would also suggest speaking to her face to face or by telephone, she would have to be a pretty mean-spirited person to say to your face that she can't find 30 minutes to write you a brief reference this week.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    About to submit ucas for three undergrad 1 grad course. Been told I can either put all modules down from my degree or overall percentage in year one and two. What would happen if I left it as pending classification with nothing else but my referee puts my prediction in reference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renn)
    I'm going to be applying fpr GEM with a 2:1 biomedical science degree and got the following UKCAT scores:
    VR - 680 / QR - 810 / AR - 680 / DA - 680 / SJ - Band 1 which gives me a total of 2850 and an average of 712.5.

Where would you guys recommend I apply?
    I was thinking Newcastle, Southampton, Warwick and Bristol.

I figure my UKCAT score would be a bit risky for Barts and Kings?
    I got a score of 712.5 last year - I didn't get interviews at either Newcastle or Southampton, unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elzw)
    For personal statements have people left a line in between paragraphs or not?
    I did, but only because I'm applying to Birmingham and Cambridge who look at the ps!

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps a stupid question, but where do we input that we've sat the Gamsat/UKCAT? I can't see an option under education? >.o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kchop)
    Hi guys!

Some super useful information on here and good luck to all of you on your applications!
    I am a reapplicant *sigh* and wanted some advice regarding my application:

UKCAT - 652.5
    1st class in biomed and currently enrolled at london school of hygiene and tropical medicine studying MSc Immuno of Infectious Diseases (it's so awesome!)

Experience:
    shadowing/volunteering and working for anthony nolan at QMC hospital, nottingham for 1year 2 months. lots of clinical experience

I think i will apply for Bart's 5 year course as they use the application 50:50 now but not sure about anywhere else
    any help would be truly appreciated!

anyone?? i'm a bit screwed as I only got a C in GCSE MAths... back in the day '07, how it's coming to haunt me...

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how UCAS gets the GAMSAT score? Do we have to email GAMSAT with our choices, or what? I'm so confused...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancingfaery)
    Does anyone know how UCAS gets the GAMSAT score? Do we have to email GAMSAT with our choices, or what? I'm so confused...
    Log in to the Acer website, click 'manage' and put your UCAS PID where it says.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Estee92)
    Perhaps a stupid question, but where do we input that we've sat the Gamsat/UKCAT? I can't see an option under education? >.o
    You don't have to.

ReputationRep:
    Application is sent off! Let the waiting game begin...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancingfaery)
    You put your UCAS Personal ID onto your Acer account you should've gotten an email from Acer about it a few weeks back?

ReputationRep:
    Have Kings said when their interview dates will be for 2016 entry?
    I've - optimistically! - got them in my diary for Soton, Warwick, and Cambridge, but can't find dates for KCL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdaman93)
    I've - optimistically! - got them in my diary for Soton, Warwick, and Cambridge, but can't find dates for KCL.
    As far as I'm aware they've only said 'early January' which isn't that helpful!!

ReputationRep:
    The last few days before the 15th October....or as I like to call it. Hell week.

Standard advice needed for insecure applicant to Warwick...... 670 UKcat with BSc and MSc 2.1 (Sport and Exercise Science, Sport's Nutrition respectively). The only thing that help me a little is I am an academic working in a medical school (research associate).

I am so unsure as to whether I should put Warwick down, when instead I could maybe apply to another 5 year course (Kings and Glasgow). I have naff a levels so these seem my only choices without chem and a decent Bio etc etc.

My other two spots are taken by Notts and Swansea for 4 year courses but who knows how that GAMSAT went....

So do I go.....Notts, Swansea, Warwick, Glasgow OR Kings

or

Notts, Swansea, Glasgow and Kings

Any help warmly received!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lxh524)
    The last few days before the 15th October....or as I like to call it. Hell week.

Standard advice needed for insecure applicant to Warwick...... 670 UKcat with BSc and MSc 2.1 (Sport and Exercise Science, Sport's Nutrition respectively). The only thing that help me a little is I am an academic working in a medical school (research associate).

I am so unsure as to whether I should put Warwick down, when instead I could maybe apply to another 5 year course (Kings and Glasgow). I have naff a levels so these seem my only choices without chem and a decent Bio etc etc.

My other two spots are taken by Notts and Swansea for 4 year courses but who knows how that GAMSAT went....

So do I go.....Notts, Swansea, Warwick, Glasgow OR Kings

or

Notts, Swansea, Glasgow and Kings

Any help warmly received!
    I'd say that your UKCAT is too low for warwick (I didn't apply with a MSc and 685), you need to be around 700
    If you can afford the 5 year and could accept an offer then go for it! So much less competitive and a really good back up choice. If you would just reject an offer don't bother and stick in warwick on the off chance that they interview a lot more this year.

edit: Also don't forget you have the option of St. Georges if you want another 4 year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexdaman93)
    Can I ask what the selection centre dates will be for Southampton and where you found these? Thanks!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 5, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.