Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

Official AS & A2 Results Day 2016

• View Poll Results: What grades are you expecting on results day?
    A*A*A* (A2 only)
    5.80%
    A*A*A (A2 only)
    5.11%
    A*AA (A2 only)
    8.61%
    AAA
    10.88%
    AAB
    14.14%
    ABB
    12.30%
    BBB
    5.44%
    BBC
    6.16%
    BCC
    5.05%
    CCC
    1.75%
    CCD
    4.08%
    A*AB (A2 only)
    4.86%
    A*BB (A2 only)
    1.42%
    ABC
    5.89%
    ACC
    1.48%
    Other
    7.04%

My worst experience with sleeping pills (prescription, mind you) were when the effects didn't wear off for my exam the next morning. Doing that exam groggy was terrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anon_98)
    Aha, I know.

Mm.. but just bc they're available doesn't really mean that it's a good suggestion. Sleeping tablets/supplements can be addictive + tbh, you shouldn't really take them unless prescribed. I mean, if you're relying on them at this age, regardless of whether it's to do with stress/anxiety/whatever then it could affect you later.

An alternative would simply be to adopt a smarter lifestyle especially bc from what I've read it only seems to be caused by results day so it'd be a bit silly to go down that route. Don't really think antihistamine tablets are any better tbf bc it'd at best only work for a few nights. Not to mention that when you awaken you'll most probably feel incredibly bleurgh/groggy. I'm sure if 'Sacred Ground' didn't use any of his technology stuffz past, like, idk 7pm the he'd be .. less likely to stay up until ridiculous hours.
    For one off events (or to help kick you back into a sensible sleep routine) then some help isn't going to do any harm whatsoever. Everything I've suggested is less potent than even the off the shelf sleeping aids - I personally wouldn't recommend Nytol or similar because they're pretty potent. A valerian based herbal supplement, a low dose antihistamine or a supplement that helps stimulate natural serotonin production are all the sorts of things that can help with short term insomnia. Most of their efficacy is placebo effect (but that doesn't stop it working).

I'd much rather applicants were fast asleep in an antihistamine snooze at 8pm the night before results than spending the night awake getting in a flap. Results day is a big day - not being rested because you've got out of the habit of sleeping well or because you just couldn't shut your brain up is a terrible idea.

Changing your lifestyle will help with sleeping no question (that's why I use radio recordings or books on tape) but it doesn't always help quickly - and not when you're already stressed and anxious. Something to kick start a better sleep cycle (or just enough to make sure you're well rested for one particular day) isn't a bad idea.

ReputationRep:
    Are you AS or A2? A2
    What subjects are you taking? Maths, Biology and Chemistry.
    To which university are you hoping to go? Cambridge
    To study which subject? Medicine
    If applicable, what were your AS grades? 4 As
    What grades are required for your desired degree? A*A*A
    What grades are you predicted? A*A*A*
    How did your exams go? C3 was alright, C4 was very good, not sure if it will average to over 90 UMS for the A* >,< Biology was suspiciously easy so I feel it may not have actually gone that well. Maybe I didn't think about the questions hard enough.. Chemistry was really good!
    How are you feeling about results day? Scared that I'm feeling optimistic since I don't want to be disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usycool1)
    My worst experience with sleeping pills (prescription, mind you) were when the effects didn't wear off for my exam the next morning. Doing that exam groggy was terrible.
    Yeah - proper sleeping pills are risky - even Nytol and similar off the shelf stuff isn't great IME.

If I know I have a big day (and I'm getting antsy about it - usually when I'm travelling somewhere and know I have to get up super early and be on my A game) I'll take a piriton, turn off the wifi and the telly, go to bed and put a book on tape on at 6/7pm....I'd much rather be asleep early and up early than risk feeling drowzy the next day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    For one off events (or to help kick you back into a sensible sleep routine) then some help isn't going to do any harm whatsoever.
    Yes, but that's all it takes. :iiam:

FOR YOU TO VISIT THEM ONCE.

Then you can never return home. :ms:

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medic_12345)
    Are you AS or A2? A2
    What subjects are you taking? Maths, Biology and Chemistry.
    To which university are you hoping to go? Cambridge
    To study which subject? Medicine
    If applicable, what were your AS grades? 4 As
    What grades are required for your desired degree? A*A*A
    What grades are you predicted? A*A*A*
    How did your exams go? C3 was alright, C4 was very good, not sure if it will average to over 90 UMS for the A* >,< Biology was suspiciously easy so I feel it may not have actually gone that well. Mayqbe I didn't think about the questions hard enough.. Chemistry was really good!
    How are you feeling about results day? Scared that I'm feeling optimistic since I don't want to be disappointed.
    Which college is your offer from ?

ReputationRep:
    Wow it's creeping closer and closer. A2 Maths students, do you think you did well in the other maths modules (AQA) to compensate for the atrocious C3 exam that your were given ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lfcrules)
    Which college is your offer from ?
    From Christ's College

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if Durham will be in clearing?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know anyone who has been accepted at uni for not having the entry requirement subject shown at their website? (just curious)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Altun63)
    Anyone know if Durham will be in clearing?
    http://search.ucas.com/search/result...roviderids=781

https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/...aring/courses/

Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cereidee)
    I'm pretty sure things only update on track at 8:00am on the 18th.

however, i know a girl who got an email the other day from ucas saying that her offer was changed to unconditional.
    Hahaha oh well she's lucky damn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the.chantele)
    Does anyone know anyone who has been accepted at uni for not having the entry requirement subject shown at their website? (just curious)
    Do you mean people who have been accepted when they've missed their offer conditions?

If so there are tens of thousands of applicants who are accepted with missed grades every year. It's more than likely people missing a grade or two will be accepted but there are no guarantees.

If a university believes that an applicant either wont be able to cope on the course with those grades or they simply can't fit them in logistically (timetabling, accommodation, teaching staff limitations) then students that have missed their grades are likely to be rejected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamic_Vicz)
    Wow it's creeping closer and closer. A2 Maths students, do you think you did well in the other maths modules (AQA) to compensate for the atrocities C3 exam that your were given ?
    Last year I got 95% in c1 and c2 and 100% in d1 (UMS). I think c4 and m1 have went just as well (95-100% UMS range) but I think I've done bad enough in c3 to not get an A* 😩 I will be surprised if I can get 80% in c3 and even then I'd need 100% in c4.

The worst part is that most of my errors were silly and I should've done better, but hey ho I only need an A for uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HFancy1997)
    f324 and f325, i think they will have high grade boundaries:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I really pray that they don't 😭, they're always quite high

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pinocchiolewis)
    Last year I got 95% in c1 and c2 and 100% in d1 (UMS). I think c4 and m1 have went just as well (95-100% UMS range) but I think I've done bad enough in c3 to not get an A* 😩 I will be surprised if I can get 80% in c3 and even then I'd need 100% in c4.

The worst part is that most of my errors were silly and I should've done better, but hey ho I only need an A for uni
    how many marks do you think you got in C3? i'm in such a similar position: got 94% in AS maths and in C3 i think i got 51/75 which will be a mid B if i'm lucky, so an A* is out the window regardless of how well C4 goes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saywhatyoumean)
    I'm waiting on them all minus C4 and C3

How did you think they went??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think they went alright, the only ones that annoyed me was that bs f214 paper and the fact that I almost didn't finish D1, wbu??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vannzzoo)
    I think they went alright, the only ones that annoyed me was that bs f214 paper and the fact that I almost didn't finish D1, wbu??
    I know f214 was a joke, but f215 was quite nice so hopefully that brings my grade up lol unless grade boundaries are high :/

Oh god I messed up the last two D1 questions completely!! I just need a B in that paper though so hopefully it's fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Getting constant emails from my firm uni about accomodation and congrats your exams are over blah blah etc etc and it's making me feel twice as worse as I know I'm not going to get in ((

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MessyEffy)
    I do WJEC Eng Lit if that helps lmao
    What texts did you study? And how'd you find the exam?

Poll
Which party will you be voting for in the General Election 2017?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.