Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by antigone-)
    If that was at the fault of your teacher surely that counts as some kind of extenuating circumstance?

At least you know you have the ability, which should give you confidence for A2. Are you retaking the coursework?
    It was, and a few other personal issues.

Nah, this was for the Scottish curriculum, they're linear so retaking bits and pieces is impossible to do. Hence why I'm doing exam-only A-levels in a year (Maths, Further Maths and Economics) instead. Dreading the 16 exams in the summer however hahaha.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    It was, and a few other personal issues.

Nah, this was for the Scottish curriculum, they're linear so retaking bits and pieces is impossible to do. Hence why I'm doing exam-only A-levels in a year (Maths, Further Maths and Economics) instead. Dreading the 16 exams in the summer however hahaha.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh god I only have 4 exams this year! (+1 for my retake)

So you have extenuating circumstances? Mention it in your reference!

As long as you have the predictions it doesn't really matter, and tbh BCD are still good. I feel like applicants for Oxbridge always feel like anything below an A is a fail (I do it myself) but really they're good grades!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Oh god I only have 4 exams this year! (+1 for my retake)

So you have extenuating circumstances? Mention it in your reference!

As long as you have the predictions it doesn't really matter, and tbh BCD are still good. I feel like applicants for Oxbridge always feel like anything below an A is a fail (I do it myself) but really they're good grades!
    Wow!! How do you only have 4 exams?!

Yep, they were outlined in the reference so fingers crossed unis take them into account.

Yeah, I'm predicted A*A*A because I've been getting full marks in exam condition Maths past papers so far. Funnily enough, BCD at Advanced Higher is equivalent to ABC at A-level haha. And thanks!

What are you applying for btw? Which college?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Wow!! How do you only have 4 exams?!

Yep, they were outlined in the reference so fingers crossed unis take them into account.

Yeah, I'm predicted A*A*A because I've been getting full marks in exam condition Maths past papers so far. Funnily enough, BCD at Advanced Higher is equivalent to ABC at A-level haha. And thanks!

What are you applying for btw? Which college?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Last year I had 8 - 3 for maths, 2 for politics, 2 for history and 1 for english. This year I have 1 for history, 2 for politics and 1 for english (though I do have 3 pieces of coursework!)

Snap with the A*A*A (although I also have an A* prediction for my EPQ, not that that counts for Oxford)

History & Politics at Magdalen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJaneH)
    Hi I'm applying for law at Oxford in the next few days, but I'm struggling to choose between St Johns and Keble, can anyone help haha?
    St johns is very rich so can support students in a whole variety of ways, but if I was you I would just decide where feels homely and that you feel a part of! Saying that you may look for different things so whatever is most important to you just decide on that basis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Artfanatic)
    St johns is very rich so can support students in a whole variety of ways, but if I was you I would just decide where feels homely and that you feel a part of! Saying that you may look for different things so whatever is most important to you just decide on that basis
    Yeah I spoke to some of the students at St Johns and they mentioned all the alumni donations and things, but I do like the grandeur of Keble

ReputationRep:
    Sent my application for PPE at Merton two hours ago. I am nervous.
    Applying from Germany.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlaneovertheSea)
    Sent my application for PPE at Merton two hours ago. I am nervous.
    Applying from Germany.
    Good luck! I really liked Merton when I visited - good choice

ReputationRep:
    Good luck! I really liked Merton when I visited - good choice
    Thank you!
    Where are you applying?

Merton is amazing! (Was kinda torn between Wadham, Johns - mainly because of the grants - and Merton; but I didnt like Wadhman that much adn even tough reputation certainly was a factor it wouldnt help if I just didnt feel comfortable) I was there around easter this year and it was closed (think some formal meeting in hall). So I went to the porters desk to get a prospectus but right then a guy walks out of college, overhears our conversation and offers to show me around - to which the porter says that was ok as I was his "guest". He studied PPE which was great as well (even tough my choice wasnt set in stone). Anyway - the story of how I got into a closed college

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    Where are you applying?

Merton is amazing! (Was kinda torn between Wadham, Johns - mainly because of the grants - and Merton; but I didnt like Wadhman that much adn even tough reputation certainly was a factor it wouldnt help if I just didnt feel comfortable) I was there around easter this year and it was closed (think some formal meeting in hall). So I went to the porters desk to get a prospectus but right then a guy walks out of college, overhears our conversation and offers to show me around - to which the porter says that was ok as I was his "guest". He studied PPE which was great as well (even tough my choice wasnt set in stone). Anyway - the story of how I got into a closed college
    Oh wow sounds really nice! I was initially between St Johns, Magdalen and Oriel but decided on Magdalen in the end. Tbh all of the colleges are lovely so I don't mind if I don't get in there

ReputationRep:
    Any other geographers?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    Where are you applying?

Merton is an awesome college. I was torn between Merton, Corpus, Oriel and Trinity. I chose Trinity but Merton is great!

ReputationRep:
    Probably this is annoying - but I feel like my chances of getting in are below zero. I am mean yeah, they probably arent but I went through that spreadsheet and now I am just completly blown away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehtarik)
    Honestly, just be shameless and try your best! I'm 14 years old, international, and trying for medicine ://
    Really? Are you even allowed to try for medicine when you're 14? I say this because I have a friend who's 16 and trying for medicine and she's not allowed to apply to a lot of unis, simply because they require applicants to be 17 or 18 at the time applicant. Which makes sense I guess, because you can't exactly have underage doctors :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Oxford's the only uni I'm applying to because of this!
    Aww, good luck to you then!

ReputationRep:
    Oxford's the only uni I'm applying to because of this!
    Ah right xD well all the best to you with your application

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, just be shameless and try your best! I'm 14 years old, international, and trying for medicine ://
    You go girl/boy!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I wanted to ask if it makes a difference which college I apply to, in terms of competition. I am torn between St Hildas and Johns for medicine, would it be more competitive to apply to Johns, or does it not make a difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TreeTaps)
    Hi,
    I wanted to ask if it makes a difference which college I apply to, in terms of competition. I am torn between St Hildas and Johns for medicine, would it be more competitive to apply to Johns, or does it not make a difference.
    No difference

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiaf)
    It is central but not right on the high street...I haven't actually been there but have been won over by the recommendation of a friend: also the professors' interests match my own!

Really? Where else have you applied...I'm curious now! I have gone for Durham, York, Edinburgh, Exeter.
    That's good haha
    Bristol, Warwick, UCL and Exeter (English with Study in North America)
    I think warwick and Exeter department are notorious for late offers but I might be really wrong here haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.