Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How similar are Kaplan mocks to the real exam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1potato2potato)
    i'm half way through the medify question bank and its only been a 2 weeks of on/off work (my exam is in September) has anyone else felt that they went through it too quickly? how do you deal with that? i'm only doing a few questions a day on it (20-30 mins or so) and am padding it out with official questions from the site and the remaining questions in my 1000q isc book.

Also QR is still scary af. anyone felt like they were making no progress in this section and end up doing okay in the real thing? i'm getting 500-600 max in practice and just praying my VR score brings it all up.
    I did go through it a bit too quickly.. But my test is on Monday and I've ran out of QR questions and probably will run out of AR and VR today. To be honest, in the last week I've mainly been doing only mocks and then really taking the time to go through the answers: medify has 3 mocks and the official UKCAT website offers 3 full mocks as well. Also, I'd do all the practice questions from the official site - I found them quite challenging to be honest but I did them really near the start of practice so they may be worth looking at now you're halfway there.

QR for me was also quite bad..by then about 3 days ago everything just kind of clicked, the mini mock today went really well (by my standards anyway) - just keep practising, I think it's really important that you get used to understanding what the tables and graphs actually mean and quickly being able to read off them. My mental maths isn't that great, but I've got really good at using the numpad on the keyboard.

Good luck for September!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    VR: 650
    QR: 800
    AR: 580
    SJT: Band 1
    Average: 676

Universities I should apply to and ones to avoid?

If anyone wants to know how the real exam compares to 1000Q book and online practice tests on UKCAT website then check my comment here

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4199733&page=2

ReputationRep:
    Anyone done Kaplan mock 4?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kraytz)

If anyone wants to know how the real exam compares to 1000Q book and online practice tests on UKCAT website then check my comment here

avoid UKCAT heavy universities such as plymouth, newcastle/durham, exeter, glasgow, southampton.

But everything will also depend on your academics. If you would like a more in depth run down PM me with your stats and I will give you a good idea where isnt great to apply and where you may have a shot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pra99)
    Anyone done Kaplan mock 4?
    Yes, I got:

730 VR
    670 QR
    700 AR

Kaplan doesn't have keyboard shortcuts, so I'm never able to get through all the questions Also in QR, many of the questions are linked, so if you get the first question wrong, all the questions in that stem end up being wrong!

ReputationRep:
    I know there is supposed to be no discussion, but how similar is the actual test to the kaplan mocks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoshBosh)
    Yes, I got:

730 VR
    670 QR
    700 AR

Kaplan doesn't have keyboard shortcuts, so I'm never able to get through all the questions Also in QR, many of the questions are linked, so if you get the first question wrong, all the questions in that stem end up being wrong!
    I only use the alt-c shortcut. I find that to use alt-f and alt-n takes more time than to just use the mouse.

Yeh the QR was really frustrating (I ran out of time) but I though the AR was decent

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, so I bought the KAPLAN book for 2017-2018 entry so its new edition, and I found that it still has the code in it, which I do not understand why, have they not updated the book at all? Was quite annoyed tbh when I opened it and saw it .... weird.

ReputationRep:
    Is anybody answering/ has answered the DM questions in the real exam? What is the point if the score is not going to be used..? Please let me know what you think!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I've just started my last year of high school and I'm considering medicine. My UKCAT is booked for the 20th of Sept, and in my periods I've literally just started to use the 1000 Questions book, and have been using medify to study these past few days in the evenings. I was just wondering which sections of the 1000 Qs book and medify are harder/easier/equivalent to the actual test?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medme)
    Is anybody answering/ has answered the DM questions in the real exam? What is the point if the score is not going to be used..? Please let me know what you think!
    They're piloting it so it's not useful for us, rather it's so they can gather data and optimise it for people who take the UKCAT in the future.

ReputationRep:
    Okay so just did my MOCK C and avg 686. My test is in the next few days and this is my last mock, was just going to spend the next few days reviewinng my mistakes and keeping up practice. Not sure if im ready with this score tho :/ still didnt finish the QR on time! plus i find medify AR really easy but the official mock AR really hard, anyone got any opinions on this and if they think i should re book??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clairebear101)
    Okay so just did my MOCK C and avg 686. My test is in the next few days and this is my last mock, was just going to spend the next few days reviewinng my mistakes and keeping up practice. Not sure if im ready with this score tho :/ still didnt finish the QR on time! plus i find medify AR really easy but the official mock AR really hard, anyone got any opinions on this and if they think i should re book??
    I also did a lot worse on Mock C compared to the other official mocks and medify mocks (690 compared to 750). I think it was just a really difficult mock tbh, personally I would just review the mocks you've done and not reboook.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kraytz)

You should definitely apply to Queen's University Belfast!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pra99)
    Nice advertising
    Is there a problem? They recommended their course to me and I said I'd try it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by halima25)
    ok?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, so I've been practising for UKCAT since end of July ish, I finished all questions from the 1000 Q book and done all of the practice questions on medify, well not for VR lol but I've done a very large number of questions. When I came to take my first ever mock exam on medify, I got 607 average from first try and this is worrying me a lot and I don't know what to do :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pra99)
    Nice advertising

ReputationRep:
    Whats everyone been getting on Medify 3?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 22, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.