Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirky743)
    I had no idea about the parents thing - that sounds like it could be pretty fun

I hope September hurries itself by, absolutely buzzing for October. Cant wait to get there
    Haven't seen you on TSR for a while!

Hope Pembroke tells us our accommodation soon and our parents.

My sister (at Downing) can't wait to find out who her children are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Apparently we're supposed to email them to tell them our preferred band. I didn't read the whole booklet, so I didn't know.

hey, are you going to magdalene as well? do you know what the difference is between bands 1-5 other than size? they sent me so many booklets i just cant be bothered to read through all of them!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shuyg)
    hey, are you going to magdalene as well? do you know what the difference is between bands 1-5 other than size? they sent me so many booklets i just cant be bothered to read through all of them!
    Yeah I am

What are you taking? I'm taking law

And I have no idea, I haven't read through the booklet yet. Student finance are messing me about, so I have no idea how much money I'll be getting; which means I can't really budget, and hence can't really decide which band I need to be getting.

I want an en suite in an old part of the college, so I need to find out how to get that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gethsemane342)
    There are very small ovens in W. You can make cakes. I've not heard of anything larger being managed in them.
    :eek::eek:
    Please God let me have friends in W/live in W where I can bake cakes. :rolleyes:
    (Because my cakes are AWESOME :cool: .)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gethsemane342)
    Typewriter probably has around 60 rooms or so. A lot of freshers will be there but there'll also be a lot in Y, W and Z. Most staircases have about 40 rooms.

kpatb is mostly right. Not all kitchens have a microwave. Or, possibly, I've had the misfortune to be in the ONLY corridor without one (Z27-Z30, stand up again!). It's not too bothersome as the nearest one is never far away. Then again, try balancing your microwave dinner on a plate through 4 doors and 2 narrow corridors!

There are very small ovens in W. You can make cakes. I've not heard of anything larger being managed in them.

Toaster and kettle are fine. (My toaster was easily one of the most useful things I brought with me). I imagine you'd get away with a Toastie Maker.
    Thanks again for the info . If I decide not to eat in hall at times, or make snacks, I know from experience I cannot survive without a microwave, so hopefully there will be one nearby. I'm not really a big oven user myself, but if I end up in W I can imagine it coming in useful at times. I will think about bringing a toaster and kettle, which would both come in useful, but I might wait till getting there before buying them. I hope I can bring a toastie maker- if hall food doesn't agree with me, I can see myself having a lot of sandwiches!

ReputationRep:
    Hey there,

I wanna go to a concert end of october. It's a friday night, but in London so i'd stay with a friend of mine overnight. Do you think that'll be a problem?

(Original post by QBasti)
      Hey there,

I wanna go to a concert end of october. It's a friday night, but in London so i'd stay with a friend of mine overnight. Do you think that'll be a problem?
      That depends. If you've got a supervision or something the next day, I'd say there's pretty much no way you're going to be able to go - I haven't had to do this myself, but I get the feeling that unless you're asking for a supervision to be rearranged for academic reasons, your DoS will be thoroughly unimpressed (although I'm sure this goes without saying ).

Assuming that you don't have any other commitments, the other thing is that you'll need to get an Exeat so that you can leave Cambridge. It's basically a permission slip so that they know you're not in residence - I think everyone has to spend a certain number of nights "in residence" in order to graduate, so they need to keep track of people leaving. Again, I've never had to get one before, so I'm sure someone else will be able to give you more information.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tortious)
      That depends. If you've got a supervision or something the next day, I'd say there's pretty much no way you're going to be able to go - I haven't had to do this myself, but I get the feeling that unless you're asking for a supervision to be rearranged for academic reasons, your DoS will be thoroughly unimpressed (although I'm sure this goes without saying ).

Assuming that you don't have any other commitments, the other thing is that you'll need to get an Exeat so that you can leave Cambridge. It's basically a permission slip so that they know you're not in residence - I think everyone has to spend a certain number of nights "in residence" in order to graduate, so they need to keep track of people leaving. Again, I've never had to get one before, so I'm sure someone else will be able to give you more information.
      Pembroke actually requires Exeats?? Seriously?? Weenie college :p:

Rearranging supervisions for trivial reasons isn't so bad, especially if your supervisor is a PhD student; they're usually more flexible.

ReputationRep:
      Hello everyone
      I think I saw a couple already but are there any other Jesuans on here? I'll be getting drowned in Maths there in October!

ReputationRep:
      Hi, can anyone shed some light on the John's accommodation system, I'm going away on Tuesday for a week, am I likely to miss the ballot, if so who should I contact?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by dbou)
      I think it is just the Edinburgh one which is that formal, plus we have to pay! I am a little worried that I will turn up on the night and be the only one there

I started the maths workbook on the maths faculty website today, I can fairly say that if I sat STEP today I would get UU.... A lot of work to do before the 28th!

It seems like all the maths people on tsr are scattered across the colleges
      Yeah I haven't been able to find any other maths people going to King's

I haven't had a look at the maths workbook yet

And you have to pay as well!? I'm glad I live where I do

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
      Yeah I am

What are you taking? I'm taking law

And I have no idea, I haven't read through the booklet yet. Student finance are messing me about, so I have no idea how much money I'll be getting; which means I can't really budget, and hence can't really decide which band I need to be getting.

I want an en suite in an old part of the college, so I need to find out how to get that!
      hey, im doing medicine....although ive never met anyone on here doing medicine at magdalene for some reason! i finally managed to read the booklet and it says we're supposed to email the bursar our preferences and price range. anyways, good luck with student finance!

ReputationRep:
      Don't worry, I haven't met any NatScis that are at Christ's either (and there's 28 of us too!)
      I guess the chances of being on the same course and college are quite low, especially if you're on a course with a small number of people.

If you go on to the FB groups, you're more likely to find someone who does your course at your college though
      (saying that, I think I've only find 2 other people doing NatSci at Christ's so far and like I said there are a huge 28 of us!)

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Jessie9224)
      In for English at Robinson!
      Congrats! join the robinson freshers facebook group if you haven't already!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by shuyg)
      hey, im doing medicine....although ive never met anyone on here doing medicine at magdalene for some reason! i finally managed to read the booklet and it says we're supposed to email the bursar our preferences and price range. anyways, good luck with student finance!
      Ok, thanks

Are you on the fb groups?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Got the tshirt)
      Haven't seen you on TSR for a while!

Hope Pembroke tells us our accommodation soon and our parents.

My sister (at Downing) can't wait to find out who her children are.
      Hey! Congrats on meeting your offer Yeeah same. I hope we get some bumper info pack about all that stuff soon, itll make it feel more real and i want to know what stuff to bring exactly, too.

Haha yeeah i guess it will be a proud moment for her

Yeeah i dont go on here much other than when ive got procastinating to do so havent been on over the summer but now i have to clean out my a level junk so im back here ah... see you in october then by the looks of it

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Tortious)
      If you end up in Foundress, I might see you! We know what our rooms are already - I'm in the CC block so I'll come and say hello. I'll probably bring a tin of Celebrations again, so I'm sure you'll remember to come and find me.
      Ah, i specified to not be in foundress :/ decided it'd be cheaper to be elsewhere but you bet i'll come say hi! celebrations mmmm :P

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by kirky743)
      Hey! Congrats on meeting your offer Yeeah same. I hope we get some bumper info pack about all that stuff soon, itll make it feel more real and i want to know what stuff to bring exactly, too.

Haha yeeah i guess it will be a proud moment for her

Yeeah i dont go on here much other than when ive got procastinating to do so havent been on over the summer but now i have to clean out my a level junk so im back here ah... see you in october then by the looks of it
      Thanks, you too I know! I want the massive envelope! Then i'll get even more excited

Aha, it'll be a proud moment for me too i'll get some nieces/nephews!

I'll definitely keep an eye out for you in october (though i don't know your name or face) :P

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by tobyc)
      Yeah I haven't been able to find any other maths people going to King's

I haven't had a look at the maths workbook yet

And you have to pay as well!? I'm glad I live where I do
      Yup, pretty bad but I will still go And I will need a suit type outfit for the formal halls anyway

I was in Oxford today and I was wearing my Cambridge hoodie (I bought one as soon as I met my offer :cool: ) I was getting some weird looks... :rolleyes: Are you going to bother getting one?

(Original post by Got the tshirt)
        Ah, i specified to not be in foundress :/ decided it'd be cheaper to be elsewhere but you bet i'll come say hi! celebrations mmmm :P
        I'm only in Foundress because I was really unlucky in the ballot this year and was the third last person in the year to pick accommodation. :ahee: If I hadn't chosen there, I'd have ended up 40 minutes' walk away from Sainsbury's and my lectures...and I wouldn't have had a bike (my parents think it's too dangerous :sigh:). It'd be awesome if you were in P(1) - that's where I was last year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.