Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doctor Who - Discussion Thread III (no untagged future spoilers) Watch

• View Poll Results: What did you think about the first storyline of series 9?
    Excellent
    0%
    Good
    0%
    Average
    0%
    Poor
    0%
    Awful
    0%

ReputationRep:
    So if 12 (and maybe 13) spends Christmas finding Gallifrey, which is theoretically frozen in the last day of the time war. Does that mean that the dying Master, Rassilon and The Doctor's Mum are still kicking around, annoyed at each other since they got "dragged back to hell" to the time war?

ReputationRep:
    da da da dum da da da dum da da da dum da dum da da da da da dum da da da dum da da da dum da dum da da da da da dum da da da dum da da da dum da dum ooooo weeeee oooo.....

ReputationRep:
    I was rather disappointed. They were some very childish scenes which I just didn't find very entertaining. It might just be me, I may be growing out of Doctor who unfortunately, but I shall prevail and await the Christmas special, and may I mention- I absolutely loved every Christmas special without fail.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frogs r everywhere)
    I was rather disappointed. They were some very childish scenes which I just didn't find very entertaining. It might just be me, I may be growing out of Doctor who unfortunately, but I shall prevail and await the Christmas special, and may I mention- I absolutely loved every Christmas special without fail.
    Even the flying shark :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Rusty Spork)
    Even the flying shark :lolwut:
    It wasn't brilliant, but I quite liked that episode. (the one where the wicked old man visits his younger self and realises how unfairly treated he was, and thus changes?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    I think the nicest thing that can be said about the writer of that piece is that he has a limited imagination. :rolleyes:
    Judging by the response of people on here who saw the special, so do it's creators.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gjaykay)
    So if 12 (and maybe 13) spends Christmas finding Gallifrey, which is theoretically frozen in the last day of the time war. Does that mean that the dying Master, Rassilon and The Doctor's Mum are still kicking around, annoyed at each other since they got "dragged back to hell" to the time war?
    Did the Doc have parents? Have they ever been mentioned?

Anyone else notice the sneaky reference to Omega? :cool: I would like some of original Gallifrey mythos to get a refresh - it would be fun to see the Death Zone again, for example.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Did the Doc have parents? Have they ever been mentioned?
    His mother was the old woman in The End of Time.

ReputationRep:
    I think having Susan, Romana, or The Master return would be much more interesting than his mother. I would prefer they kept the one small part of the doctor that is still mysterious and not reveal everything about his origins, his whole family history etc.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... Less of a ridiculous upsurge in post numbers than I expected :holmes:

I proud of how well I coped with having to wait an extra 24 hours to watch it :proud:

And I rather enjoyed the episode. Particularly the beginning, and that fact that Clara was teaching at Susan's old school

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I read somewhere that since the appearance of John Hurt's character, all the regeneration cycles have now been used up - remember, David Tennant's Doctor had another regeneration after he was exterminated in the final episode with Catherine Tate.

So how is Peter Capaldi's Doctor making it in? Have the regeneration cycles limit been scrapped?

Also John Hurt's character was seen regenerating in the 50th anniversary... but weren't all the regenerations used up?

Or maybe something happens around the parallel world Doctor and Rose... maybe the Doctor comes back with just 1 heart? Part timelord, part human?

Or is there something going on with the Doctor's daughter? - In the David Tennant era episode, they thought she had died at the end yet she appeared to regenerate and come back to life.

All very confusing and a lot of strands here that need to have an ending!

ReputationRep:
    gah, fecking internet, accidentally voted wrong in the poll

50th anniversary was AWESOME

Spoiler:
    Show
    John Hurt was awesome, Tennant and Smith were awesome, Tom Baker's cameo was the crowning brilliance of the awesomeness that was the episode itself, the preview of Capaldi was awesome, heck I can't stop finding awesome things about it, loved it so much, perfect way to celebrate 50 years of the show, can't wait for christmas and beyond now either, gonna be great!

ReputationRep:
    anyone can explain to me how the all the doctor (especially the classic doctors before tennant's doctor) even know that they have to calculate how to move gallifrey?

did the doctors travel back in time to inform them? did their tardis told them?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2scotty)
    I read somewhere that since the appearance of John Hurt's character, all the regeneration cycles have now been used up - remember, David Tennant's Doctor had another regeneration after he was exterminated in the final episode with Catherine Tate.
    pretty sure that one didn't count? he didn't actually have a full regeneration as such in the end so I don't know it does tbh.

also when River gives up her regeneration's, would that not potentially give the doctor more as well for all we know? I reckon that it may have done and we will find that out later on myself.

I'm not sure that John Hurt counted as an incarnation either cause he was a "forced" one through that potion that McGann drank so it may be that it gave him a freebie as it where.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiRory)
    pretty sure that one didn't count? he didn't actually have a full regeneration as such in the end so I don't know it does tbh.

also when River gives up her regeneration's, would that not potentially give the doctor more as well for all we know? I reckon that it may have done and we will find that out later on myself.

I'm not sure that John Hurt counted as an incarnation either cause he was a "forced" one through that potion that McGann drank so it may be that it gave him a freebie as it where.
    Well apparently...

1st - William Hartnell
    2nd - Patrick Troughton
    3rd - Jon Pertwee
    4th - Tom Baker
    5th - Peter Davidson
    6th - Colin Baker
    7th - Sylvester McCoy
    8th - Paul McGann
    9th - John Hurt
    10th - Christopher Eccleston
    11th - David Tennant
    12th - David Tennant
    13th - Matt Smith
    14th - regenerations over!

Sorry, I know it's the Daily Mail but... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...Time-Lord.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SciFiRory)

Plus they keep going on about Trenzalore and the Doctor's death - as if it'd be happening soon.

ReputationRep:
    Well apparently...

1st - William Hartnell
    2nd - Patrick Troughton
    3rd - Jon Pertwee
    4th - Tom Baker
    5th - Peter Davidson
    6th - Colin Baker
    7th - Sylvester McCoy
    8th - Paul McGann
    9th - John Hurt
    11th - David Tennant
    12th - David Tennant
    13th - Matt Smith

Sorry, I know it's the Daily Mail but... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz...Time-Lord.html
    But that's counting the creation of the DoctorDonna as a regeneration, when it was established that it wasn't a regeneration, he stopped the process by diverting the energy into his old hand. So Capaldi is the 13th.

Then there are two big things: 1) River gave him all her remaining regenerations to save his life - possibly meaning he has extra regenerations now; 2) the limit of 13 regenerations was imposed by the Timelords - suggesting that now the Timelords are no longer around (or hidden away in a frozen pocket universe!) the Doctor could simply choose to regenerate again as many times as he likes. And Moffat has referred to the Doctor basically being immortal now in interviews.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feefifofum)
    But that's counting the creation of the DoctorDonna as a regeneration, when it was established that it wasn't a regeneration, he stopped the process by diverting the energy into his old hand. So Capaldi is the 13th.

Then there are two big things: 1) River gave him all her remaining regenerations to save his life - possibly meaning he has extra regenerations now; 2) the limit of 13 regenerations was imposed by the Timelords - suggesting that now the Timelords are no longer around (or hidden away in a frozen pocket universe!) the Doctor could simply choose to regenerate again as many times as he likes. And Moffat has referred to the Doctor basically being immortal now in interviews.
    Ok. I don't like Moffat. Odd how in the 50th year anniversary special he just left Billie Piper as a different character.

ReputationRep:
    Plus they keep going on about Trenzalore and the Doctor's death - as if it'd be happening soon.
    Did you watch the trailer for the Christmas episode? You should!

Spoiler:
    Show

We know that the Doctor that goes to Trenzalore is Matt Smith, and we know that he isn't the last Doctor, because Peter Capaldi's been cast. So whatever happens on Trenzalore, however the Doctor 'dies', it doesn't mean the end of the Doctor.

ReputationRep:
    Well apparently...

1st - William Hartnell
    2nd - Patrick Troughton
    3rd - Jon Pertwee
    4th - Tom Baker
    5th - Peter Davidson
    6th - Colin Baker
    7th - Sylvester McCoy
    8th - Paul McGann
    9th - John Hurt
    11th - David Tennant
    12th - David Tennant
    13th - Matt Smith

as usual I have no interest in what the Daily Mail thinks, the paper that supported fascism and that is the most sewer bound of the gutter rags, it's not a credible source for anything other than turd.

yeah but they foreshadowed Tennant's death heavily and that was just a regeneration, I really don't think it's going to be a case of Matt Smith being the last one, especially as we already know Capaldi is next

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 28, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.