Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Do the labour party think the minimum wage should be increased?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by internetguru)
    I don't know what Turkey is. Then the only other country with a military capable of an invasion is Saudi Arabia. They are hardly the country t
    that should be invading to bring democracy considering they don't have one.
    OOC:
    Qatar, Turkey, KSA. I doubt they are intervening to bring democracy. It's more to do with strategic interests. Removing a Shia and replacing it with a Sunni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eff01)
    OOC:
    Qatar, Turkey, KSA. I doubt they are intervening to bring democracy. It's more to do with strategic interests. Removing a Shia and replacing it with a Sunni.
    Pssst, there is no in/out of character convention in the MHoC, unlike the MUN. Just be yourself the whole time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesusandtequila)
    Pssst, there is no in/out of character convention in the MHoC, unlike the MUN. Just be yourself the whole time.
    Thanks for the heads up bro

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eff01)
    OOC:
    If they intervene to bring in Sunni instead of Shia then there is no way support it. We should never be supporting foreign policy based upon religious affiliations.

ReputationRep:
    If they intervene to bring in Sunni instead of Shia then there is no way support it. We should never be supporting foreign policy based upon religious affiliations.
    Hence why change from Syria has to come from within. No Western led regime change

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eff01)
    Hence why change from Syria has to come from within. No Western led regime change
    Yet you believe in nation building in Afghanistan that is a massive clash of ideas.

ReputationRep:
    Re
    Yet you believe in nation building in Afghanistan that is a massive clash of ideas.
    I believe in nation building in Afghanistan because we HAVE intervened. If you asked me in 2001 if I agreed with UK intervention I would say no, not our war to fight. However today where we have intervened and our mission has changed to nation building, it is important we continue to support Afghanistan as a partner who is there at the point of need. That is not a clash of ideas, it is logical. Ultimately Afghanistan's future lies in the hands of its people.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Political Ambassador
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    Political Ambassador
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by eff01)
    Re

I believe in nation building in Afghanistan because we HAVE intervened. If you asked me in 2001 if I agreed with UK intervention I would say no, not our war to fight. However today where we have intervened and our mission has changed to nation building, it is important we continue to support Afghanistan as a partner who is there at the point of need. That is not a clash of ideas, it is logical. Ultimately Afghanistan's future lies in the hands of its people.
    Completely agree with this stance - very sensible thinking.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by eff01)
    So what your really saying is that we should continue to watch Syrian citizens be slaughtered just so that we don't end up favouring Christians over Muslims.

Go in, remove Assad and then have the rebels sign an agreement saying Sunni's and Muslims get 50% of parliament each until free and democratic elections take place, at the very least we can enforce a no fly zone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    So what your really saying is that we should continue to watch Syrian citizens be slaughtered just so that we don't end up favouring Christians over Muslims.

Go in, remove Assad and then have the rebels sign an agreement saying Sunni's and Muslims get 50% of parliament each until free and democratic elections take place, at the very least we can enforce a no fly zone.
    That is not what I am saying. The reality is that the Syrian people can only remove al Assad. We go in remove Assad and then what? Say goodbye and watch the country turn into chaos? That is not something that is beneficial for Syrians or the international community. It's a hard fact to swallow but unless the Chinese and Russians come onboard this crisis is not going to solved. All the world can do is wait, watch and impose vigorous sanctions. Change in Syria must come from within, not from the West not from the UN but from the Syrian people. Their future is in their hands.

Idea of making an agreement with the rebels is flawed. Rebels is an umbrella term for many different groups, with different beliefs and ideologies. Who do we talk to? Democracy in Syria must be an organic process, where Syrians unite for the future and prosperity of their country post Assad. No international leader or organisation should determine the future of Syria.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toronto353)
    Completely agree with this stance - very sensible thinking.
    Glad you agree

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aadam10)
    Do the labour party think the minimum wage should be increased?
    Thank you for your question. I'm sure our Shadow Business Secretary will be happy to answer your question

(Original post by hines)
    QFA buddy
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

Firstly, Sunni is a branch of Islam. Secondly, Sunni Muslims make up the majority of the Syrian population. Thirdly, other religious and ethnic groups exist - Alawites, Sufis, Christians, Ismailis, Twelver Shi'as.

(Original post by JPKC)
    Firstly, Sunni is a branch of Islam. Secondly, Sunni Muslims make up the majority of the Syrian population. Thirdly, other religious and ethnic groups exist - Alawites, Sufis, Christians, Ismailis, Twelver Shi'as.
    Are you muslim? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    That bit jumped out at me too. I was about to reply with this but kept scrolling down and you got there first. Rep time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JPKC)
    Exactly! Couldn't have put it better myself.

ReputationRep:
    Just thought I'd add that it's this complete lack of appreciation for the culture of those countries and the fact that things may not pan out exactly as planned as precisely the reason that intervention is such a bad idea. Consider when the USA installed the Shah in 1953, all was looking good, they had an ally in the region and control of the oil. Job done. However I bet they didn't forsee that 26 years on it would lead to an Islamic Republic and the hostage crisis.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by JPKC)
    True but you get the point i was making.

I just don't agree with sitting on our ass doing nothing whilst other members of our species slaughter each other whilst we have the means to bring about a swift conclusion.

(excepting the whole Russia/China objection as by the sounds of it people would object to intervention anyway)

ReputationRep:
    I just don't agree with sitting on our ass doing nothing whilst other members of our species slaughter each other whilst we have the means to bring about a swift conclusion.
    Yeah, because in our uncertain world rushing in as a foreign power probably won't cause any unintended consequences. It definitely won't make the situation worse in the long run, we never do. Let's just go and topple all the autocratic regimes and replace them all with democratic leaders. What could possibly go wrong?

:facepalm2:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.