A FRIGHTFUL HOBGOBLIN STALKS ACROSS EUROPE!!!aaabbbccc
Superunknown17
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saoirse:3)
A FRIGHTFUL HOBGOBLIN STALKS ACROSS EUROPE!!!aaabbbccc
Ahh drunken MHoC posts. They don't come round very often but when they do they're excellent

Sleep tight Saoirse!
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hello from outside the EU. York in the playoffs, Barnet still in the Conference. Roll on the cricket now.
meenu89
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Superunknown17)
I think the Morgsie/TehFrance saga was one of the most exciting times on the internet. Oh how I miss those two.
Which nearly resulted in this place being closed. I know what you mean though..... In a strange way I miss him and his obsession with trains.
Cheese_Monster
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Superunknown17)
Ahh drunken MHoC posts. They don't come round very often but when they do they're excellent

Sleep tight Saoirse!
I was also drunk last night but instead of rambling like Saoirse, I abused TMD

Posted from TSR Mobile
Birchington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Who's up for a HOC meet this year?

Seems like ages since the last one.
bun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Birchington)

I would be. Depends on where and when obviously.
Never been before. Sounds like a nice event though
Cheese_Monster
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Birchington)

Has anyone actually attended before? From what I know, only Thunder and Jazz, Byronic_Hero and Thunder_Chunky have actually gone, they always sound great then everyone's like, 'nah I've got other plan'

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mechie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Incredibly nervous for this exam tomorrow.
Republic1
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Mechie)
Incredibly nervous for this exam tomorrow.
Whatcha got fella?
Mechie
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Republic1)
Whatcha got fella?
It's about signal analysis. 2 useless lecturers don't particularly inspire confidence for this exam.
Smack
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I remember doing a bit of signal analysis. Can be quite tough going if you're not very mathematically minded, but if you are then I reckon you'll be fine, Mechie.
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Seems someone let the attack dogs out last night.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Champagne Supernova
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bun)
It wasn't. He just didn't star out the word that Clarkson used when reporting what the media has gone on about. He didn't direct it at anyone, just talked about how annoying it is the media are getting at Clarkson for mumbling 'x'
This is the perfect way to describe what happened last night. I was looking to write a response of my own to describe it, but I couldn't think of anything better.

The word used by Life_Peer and allegedly used by Jeremy Clarkson is in the swear filter on TSR. If you attempt to avoid the filter, you will be warned. This is a simple concept and it is evident what happened.

If you were to then use that same word at another user, person, group or in any other way where it shows a malicious intent, you will be receive a warning. If you see posts that break the rules, please report it and the moderator(s) will deal with it when they see it. You can of course call out another user on their views providing it is not done in an insulting way.

The main reason for me posting in here is the way in which the 'situation' was reacted to. Yes, it's a terrible word. No, TSR does not endorse it. Any posts that were removed (and consequently reinstated) fell foul of the site rules. This is standard practice and is not some great conspiracy, or a the big racism cover-up of 2014. I'm not a poster of the MHoC, but the ferocity in which an honest mistake (which Jarred himself admitted to) was pounced on by some users shocked me. I would be more concerned had the word in question been directed at a person or group and then wasn't removed. As it was (and as you can still read), it made reference to the word gaining a lot of attention in a national news story, in a fashion that bypassed the swear filter. Had that word been filtered out as appropriate, no action would need be taken. A controversial opinion is not a warnable or bannable offence.

I am aware of a push to get more users involved with the MHoC, but frankly as Idle said it hardly felt a welcoming place. Looking around other parts of the MHoC today, the reaction given to this matter seems over the top, and frankly petty towards Jarred. The moderation actions taken were appropriate, any mistakes made were fixed and I hope we should be able to move on. Continued accusations of TSR being racist are false, not at all helpful and of course disruptive to a thread. Any concerns that a user has over moderation can be directed to AASL/M and not be continually discussed and called out in a thread itself. Any further questions on the matter should be posted in AASL/M and not here.

Thanks,
CS
SciFiRory
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
yes how dare the media by offended by an incredibly offensive racist remark :rolleyes: it's almost like we have a multicultural society where racism is rightly illegal.
bun
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Champagne Supernova)
This is the perfect way to describe what happened last night. I was looking to write a response of my own to describe it, but I couldn't think of anything better.
Who'd a thunk it. I can occasionally write sensible stuff

The word used by Life_Peer and allegedly used by Jeremy Clarkson is in the swear filter on TSR. If you attempt to avoid the filter, you will be warned. This is a simple concept and it is evident what happened.

If you were to then use that same word at another user, person, group or in any other way where it shows a malicious intent, you will be receive a warning. If you see posts that break the rules, please report it and the moderator(s) will deal with it when they see it. You can of course call out another user on their views providing it is not done in an insulting way.

The main reason for me posting in here is the way in which the 'situation' was reacted to. Yes, it's a terrible word. No, TSR does not endorse it. Any posts that were removed (and consequently reinstated) fell foul of the site rules. This is standard practice and is not some great conspiracy, or a the big racism cover-up of 2014. I'm not a poster of the MHoC, but the ferocity in which an honest mistake (which Jarred himself admitted to) was pounced on by some users shocked me. I would be more concerned had the word in question been directed at a person or group and then wasn't removed. As it was (and as you can still read), it made reference to the word gaining a lot of attention in a national news story, in a fashion that bypassed the swear filter. Had that word been filtered out as appropriate, no action would need be taken. A controversial opinion is not a warnable or bannable offence.

I am aware of a push to get more users involved with the MHoC, but frankly as Idle said it hardly felt a welcoming place. Looking around other parts of the MHoC today, the reaction given to this matter seems over the top, and frankly petty towards Jarred. The moderation actions taken were appropriate, any mistakes made were fixed and I hope we should be able to move on. Continued accusations of TSR being racist are false, not at all helpful and of course disruptive to a thread. Any concerns that a user has over moderation can be directed to AASL/M and not be continually discussed and called out in a thread itself. Any further questions on the matter should be posted in AASL/M and not here.

Thanks,
CS
I posted this in the UKIP subforum earlier, saying I didn't want to post this in the bar and risk the debate starting again, but as it has come up, thought I may as well.

Despite the moans last night, I thought Jarred dealt with everything in an exemplary fashion. No bias - just sheer professionalism. People took umbrage with the fact he deleted a few posts - but that followed the rules as the posts related to a Mod issue.

Some would have argued he could have let posts from either side go through, but giving a bit of wiggle room like that would have only led to a dangerous, slippery slope for future situations. So for me - it was handled well, and some aggressive people pounced on this.

I'd also say there'v been times I've tried - not as my main intention, but as a sort of 'well, with any luck he'll let slip' kind of thing - to try and find out the goings on of investigations from Jarred and to my annoyance, he's been nothing but professional in all those PMs... So I find it pretty reprehensible that people have questioned his integrity in all this. Fair enough attack some of the views, but Jarred and the Mods' roles can't be questioned last night I don't think And it's not usual I agree with the Mods
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SciFiRory)
yes how dare the media by offended by an incredibly offensive racist remark :rolleyes: it's almost like we have a multicultural society where racism is rightly illegal.
Except he didn't say it! This was a private conversation, I see that freedom of speech only applies when people are attacking us and Muslim extremists want to kill us all, you have no issue with that though do you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Cryptographic
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Ditto bun really, the speed of which one case of swear avoidance turned into an attack on Jarred and other members of the MHoC was shocking. Jarred did exactly what he was supposed to, and did so swiftly. The questioning of Jarred's neutrality and integrity as a Speaker was awful considering his sizeable contribution to the stability and workings of the House. Any way, new bar rule. No discussions of Clarkson.
Cryptographic
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SciFiRory)
This is exactly the kind of post which is there for no good reason but to stir up trouble. Anyway, innocent until proven guilty, would you sentence an already unfairly persecuted man to death if you were only 75% sure he had done it?
SciFiRory
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Cryptographic)
This is exactly the kind of post which is there for no good reason but to stir up trouble. Anyway, innocent until proven guilty, would you sentence an already unfairly persecuted man to death if you were only 75% sure he had done it?
so disagreeing with racism is "stirring up trouble" to you? :rolleyes:

he used the rhyme and even admitted to using the word and pathetically trying to hide it by mumbling it...I am not sentencing him to anything either, and by the way if you know me at all you would know I fully oppose the death penalty.

I like how you say I am stirring things up whereas you have basically done that tenfold with your reply, you people are a bad joke.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (16)
18.39%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (36)
41.38%
Nope, not that interesting (35)
40.23%

Watched Threads