Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avec_Amour)
    I managed to call up Leicester yesterday asking whether all of the interviews for the 13th March have been given out. The lady on the phone told me they have all been sent out

I guess it's goodbye medical school for me this year. Desperately wanted to study medicine, to the point where I'm considering a second gap year! :confused:

Indeed I completely identify with you as I too have now four rejections in my gap year (haven't heard as yet from Leicester but know that I won't have interview).. It makes you think of many other options like studying med in Europe or doing bio med then try for transfer though very difficult or indeed try for a second gap year.. But wonder if unis accept that!! And if it would indeed increase your chances to get an offer? Still in total shock..not knowing what to do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dralya)
    Indeed I completely identify with you as I too have now four rejections in my gap year (haven't heard as yet from Leicester but know that I won't have interview).. It makes you think of many other options like studying med in Europe or doing bio med then try for transfer though very difficult or indeed try for a second gap year.. But wonder if unis accept that!! And if it would indeed increase your chances to get an offer? Still in total shock..not knowing what to do
    I know of people atudying medicinw now after having two gape year we're half way through this year just think how quick its gone!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hl7495)
    I know of people atudying medicinw now after having two gape year we're half way through this year just think how quick its gone!
    But when you think about a second gap year you also think that some unis consider second gap year applicants as a resit and rule them out.. Also if one doesn't succeed in two years applying for med, what will guarantee them succeeding in yet another year trying? I got all the grades and work experience, pretty ok ukcat 715 and still couldn't secure except one intv with Hull..

ReputationRep:
    But when you think about a second gap year you also think that some unis consider second gap year applicants as a resit and rule them out.. Also if one doesn't succeed in two years applying for med, what will guarantee them succeeding in yet another year trying? I got all the grades and work experience, pretty ok ukcat 715 and still couldn't secure except one intv with Hull..
    Ive never heard of that and theres some which definitely dont! Well its your life accept it and take responsibility for whatever decision you make when you want it there is a way good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fallenangel)
    Two exams after each Semester (so two sets per academic year):

1 Short Answer Question Paper (SAQ) worth 120 marks (short written basically)

1 Single Best Answer Paper (SBA's) worth 50 marks (5 correct answers given, choose the most appropriate)

(Original post by MedicalMike)
    To any current Leicester students:

What format are the exams done in at LMS, multiple choice, short written or essays? Also how many exam seasons are there in a year?

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The SBAs don't have to give 5 correct answers. They can give some obviously incorrect answers and then leave you to figure out which of the remaining is the 'single best' option. The SBA questions increase to 100 in IPE and Final Examinations. Also there are OSCE examinations in 1st, 3rd, 4th and 5th years.

ReputationRep:
    I have not heard of universities that treat second gap year applicants as resits.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    If one doesn't succeed in achieving a place at medical school, one will have to reflect and adjust their former mistakes. Do not fret, you are young, if you carry on with your ambition, you WILL get a place. Who will care that you took 2 gap years once you're an experienced consultant/GP?

If the notion of taking two gap years isn't for you, I would advise to look into biomed courses with transfer schemes into medicine, if that doesn't work out, graduate entry is the only way. Yes, it is harder, but it is not impossible.

Best of luck!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else get the feeling we won't hear anything until after the final interview in March?

I don't think I will actually believe when I get the decision, spent so long checking my emails with out actually expecting to see the decision email there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amyk89)
    Does anyone else get the feeling we won't hear anything until after the final interview in March?

I don't think I will actually believe when I get the decision, spent so long checking my emails with out actually expecting to see the decision email there.

I actually think so too!!! A long and difficult wait is ahead!

ReputationRep:
    My fourth and final rejection without interview.
    It's not the end of my ambition though! Second gap year here I come! And ofc....The UKCAT. I am so lucky! not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0612)
    Awwh, that's a shame I was really rooting for you. I read so many of your posts desperately wanting a chance to study medicine. I can't say much that's going to make you feel better but one thing ill say is try and improve your Ukcat score and get a job in healthcare, that always favours well with universities.

Don't be too down on yourself, you'll eventually get a place. If I could I would have given you one of my interviews. Just stay determined and keep positive you'll get a chance to make your dream.

I hope you have better luck next year x
    Thank you for your kind words! I know it's a shame, but I guess in my case my application was slightly risky as a resit applicant (retaking a few A level exams due to extenuating circumstances). Yeah that's true, I guess I just need to stay positive and determined, still desperately want to study medicine!

Thanks again, I hope your application is going well!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Gin)
    There are lots of us rooting for you here. Anyway, imagine how much nicer Leicester Med School will be in 2015 with that lovely new building? You know what they say, third time lucky...
    Dr Gin, you never fail to put a smile on my face!

I wish it's third time lucky for me, one can only hope (that's if I decide to take a second gap year!) A huge thank you for your support!

ReputationRep:

Absoloutely! I find each Friday evening at about 6pm I'm just thinking "oh man got a whole weekend to wait before I can start checking again", which is a bit sad on a Friday night! I'm so jealous of some of the December interviewees that heard relatively quickly considering!

(Original post by Priya_Biju)
    My fourth and final rejection without interview.
    It's not the end of my ambition though! Second gap year here I come! And ofc....The UKCAT. I am so lucky! not.
    Don't worry, I was in your position last year. I get that my words probably mean very little right now as people said the same to me last year and I found little comfort, but a year really DOES go by very quickly. Lots of people are more successful their second time around.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that
    Taking a second gap year and retaking A level exams are different things, universities won't see you as a resit applicant if you take a second gap year.

It depends on what you feel is best for you. You have to weigh up all the advantages and disadvantages of studying medicine abroad, doing biomed transfer/graduate entry or taking a second gap year. There are people who do take a second gap year, hugely improve their application, and then get offers. Make sure you thoroughly research your options, as well as find out why your applications this year weren't successful. Don't give up hope, when there's a will, there is a way!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frogs r everywhere)
    I have not heard of universities that treat second gap year applicants as resits.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    If one doesn't succeed in achieving a place at medical school, one will have to reflect and adjust their former mistakes. Do not fret, you are young, if you carry on with your ambition, you WILL get a place. Who will care that you took 2 gap years once you're an experienced consultant/GP?

If the notion of taking two gap years isn't for you, I would advise to look into biomed courses with transfer schemes into medicine, if that doesn't work out, graduate entry is the only way. Yes, it is harder, but it is not impossible.

Best of luck!

Huge thanks for your advice and best wishes to you too...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Avec_Amour)
    Sorry to hear that
    Taking a second gap year and retaking A level exams are different things, universities won't see you as a resit applicant if you take a second gap year.

It depends on what you feel is best for you. You have to weigh up all the advantages and disadvantages of studying medicine abroad, doing biomed transfer/graduate entry or taking a second gap year. There are people who do take a second gap year, hugely improve their application, and then get offers. Make sure you thoroughly research your options, as well as find out why your applications this year weren't successful. Don't give up hope, when there's a will, there is a way!
    Million thanks for your advice and all the best to you..

ReputationRep:
    Million thanks for your advice and all the best to you..
    You're more than welcome thank you, good luck to you too!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam657)
    Absoloutely! I find each Friday evening at about 6pm I'm just thinking "oh man got a whole weekend to wait before I can start checking again", which is a bit sad on a Friday night! I'm so jealous of some of the December interviewees that heard relatively quickly considering!

Usually by the middle of the afternoon, if no email and no one on tsr has posted that they've gotten an offer, I usually think that's another day gone. I still keep my emails open.

I think the longer I wait the easier it gets. Got to the point I've waited so long it doesn't quite feel like it's still happening and also that I'm never going to hear.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Usually by the middle of the afternoon, if no email and no one on tsr has posted that they've gotten an offer, I usually think that's another day gone. I still keep my emails open.

I think the longer I wait the easier it gets. Got to the point I've waited so long it doesn't quite like it's still happening and I'm never going to hear.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes! Sometimes people ask me if I've found out yet and I sort of forget that eventually this waiting limbo will end and I'll know for good!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LiSpi)
    Yes! Sometimes people ask me if I've found out yet and I sort of forget that eventually this waiting limbo will end and I'll know for good!
    dissertation-writing is not helping the pain of the wait either!

ReputationRep:
    3 months ish since my interview. Hattttinggggggg the wait!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.