x Turn on thread page Beta

Current Year 11 Thread Mark I (2014-2015) watch

Announcements
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Study Helper

Peer Support Volunteers
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    Just had Parents evening - my history teacher, who I adore, said I was incredible, and that I don't need to bother buying a revision guide because my notes are already better than the stuff in there.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Check you out :awesome:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Gilo98)
    Yep aha. These are like 'mock' mocks - the real 'mocks' being in Feb/March
    Ah okay! That makes more sense. Y11... :moon:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I'm choosing my a-levels and I'm really stuck on what to do. I want to do medicine in the future so I'm doing bio and chem. I want to take 2 more and my choices are between:
    Psychology
    English Lang
    And health and social care
    Any advice on what I should choose?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kimberlymegsx)
    Hey guys, I'm choosing my a-levels and I'm really stuck on what to do. I want to do medicine in the future so I'm doing bio and chem. I want to take 2 more and my choices are between:
    Psychology
    English Lang
    And health and social care
    Any advice on what I should choose?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi I would really think about doing a third science if possible, but if you're not confident with physics or maths then I'd recommend doing at least one more facilitating subject as these are generally the most respected and academic which is what you want for medicine as it is so competitive. Out of the three you have there, I'd probably go for psychology, but none of those three are facilitating subjects. Health and social care isn't very respected at A level and English language is less respected than literature, so have you thought of doing English lit instead? In your position, I'd make sure at least one out of your remaining two was one of maths/physics/geography/history/english lit or any foreign language (the facilitating subjects excluding bio/chem) and then maybe take psychology as your fourth hope that was helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tryrevise)
    Hi I would really think about doing a third science if possible, but if you're not confident with physics or maths then I'd recommend doing at least one more facilitating subject as these are generally the most respected and academic which is what you want for medicine as it is so competitive. Out of the three you have there, I'd probably go for psychology, but none of those three are facilitating subjects. Health and social care isn't very respected at A level and English language is less respected than literature, so have you thought of doing English lit instead? In your position, I'd make sure at least one out of your remaining two was one of maths/physics/geography/history/english lit or any foreign language (the facilitating subjects excluding bio/chem) and then maybe take psychology as your fourth hope that was helpful!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This was very helpful thankyou! And yes I was thinking history as well I just forgot to write it down!-,- the problem is bio, chem, history and psychology don't offer AS courses meaning that I'd have to do 4 a2's which is a lot of work tbh, I'm not sure whether only taking 3 would be a huge mistake though! It's all so confusing.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I went to see Mockingjay today.

Oh my goodness, it was amazing.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Steliata)

I can't wait to watch it!!

:ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karmacrunch)
    I can't wait to watch it!!

:ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee::ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There's a certain scene in it (won't spoil) that completely gave me the chills!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steliata)

Ah lucky you, I can't wait to see it I probably won't get to see it until after my mocks though, which end on the 2nd December.

ReputationRep:
    What's everyone thinking of doing for A Levels? I know that I want to do English Lit, Psychology and Sociology but I don't know what to pick for my fourth subject. Originally I was trying to choose between R.S and Spanish but realistically I don't think I'm good enough at either subject to do them at A Level. I was thinking of choosing either History or Politics as my fourth option. I don't currently do History at GCSE and, although my head of year and head of sixth form said I would be allowed to do it, I'm worried that I would struggle. Argh, decisions

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else have overly **** GCSE target grades or is it just me? Like I'm achieving A's but my target grades are like D's & the school isn't even changing it! So pissed... Not gonna get any offers now

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kid_kangaroo)
    Does anyone else have overly **** GCSE target grades or is it just me? Like I'm achieving A's but my target grades are like D's & the school isn't even changing it! So pissed... Not gonna get any offers now

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My school are the reverse, I'm targeted all A*s when I'm never going to achieve it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Martie08)
    My school are the reverse, I'm targeted all A*s when I'm never going to achieve it...
    I know the feeling. Seriously, how the heck am I gonna get a C in French. I can't even count to ten in that language.

P.S.

Sorry for the horrible grammar

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I completely understand. It's ridiculous. My school do it so they can say oh look how many kids achieved above the target grade and they 'don't want to get our hopes up'. Don't exactly take into consideration people actually look at these predicted grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purple-Pixie)
    Ah lucky you, I can't wait to see it I probably won't get to see it until after my mocks though, which end on the 2nd December.
    Yeah, we had a convenient inset day :ahee: and I hope you get to see it. It's fab

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm Emma . I'm doing Triple Science, Maths, English Literature, English Language, Further Maths, Geography, French, Philosophy and Ethics, ICT and (if I can handle it) an AS Level in Critical Thinking.

When I finish Year 11 I'm hoping to study English Literature, Biology, Chemistry and Maths at A-Level as well as doing an extended project (did the level 2 one last year and actually enjoyed it, haha). And then I want to go on to study Medicine or Veterinary Medicine- not quite sure which one yet, struggling to decide!

Hobbies and interests... Swimming, ice skating, drawing, photography, music... I always find this quite a hard question because between schoolwork and some form of social life I don't have any other time for hobbies which is actually really bad... Haha, oh well.

I was lulled into a false sense of security when Year 11 started, everything seemed fine and calm but now I haven't stopped since the start of November! It's just a constant stream of work!

How's everyone finding the mock exams (if you're doing them now)?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Are your predicted grades different from target grades? Our school base our target grades on SATs that we did in Year 6 (seriously- it's so stupid), so mine are all B's but our teachers give us different predicted grades which are what we are actually expected to get and I'm applying to colleges with my predicted grades instead of target grades because they are much better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmaalouisee)
    Are your predicted grades different from target grades? Our school base our target grades on SATs that we did in Year 6 (seriously- it's so stupid), so mine are all B's but our teachers give us different predicted grades which are what we are actually expected to get and I'm applying to colleges with my predicted grades instead of target grades because they are much better!
    Wait, what? That is so stupid, it makes no sense xD

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SampleX)
    Wait, what? That is so stupid, it makes no sense xD

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's the same at my school, but mine are listed as A*s for both anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi is anyone able to help me with this?
    Thanks in advance if anyone can!
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2986015

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.