Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by newblood)
    I'm afraid you're severely misinformed. All student loans are taken into consideration when assessing you for a mortgage
    Sorry, I've just researched this and you are right- as of a year ago it does affect that but I was told that before at a student finance talk. However I can't see many mortgage companies refusing a mortgage because of a student loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopefulLawyerHG)
    Sorry, I've just researched this and you are right- as of a year ago it does affect that but I was told that before at a student finance talk. However I can't see many mortgage companies refusing a mortgage because of a student loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Unless what you're earning minus repayments doesn't have enough of a margin over mortgage costs

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It doesn't matter what the loan is for, to the bank a loan is a loan. They're just assessing your ability to pay interest and ultimately repay the principal. You seem to be adamant to make excuses for the current student loan system tbh..
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by L'Evil Fish)
    Unless what you're earning minus repayments doesn't have enough of a margin over mortgage costs
    Correct. It's part of the new more stringent checks to ensure you can afford the mortgage. Pretty sensible really.

But the repayments are only (max) 9% of salary (before tax).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter what the loan is for, to the bank a loan is a loan. They're just assessing your ability to pay interest and ultimately repay the principal. You seem to be adamant to make excuses for the current student loan system tbh..
    Yes but this loan is different to other loans in that it automatically gets taken from your pay, you never see it so all it really does for the purposes of the bank is reduce your income. I just don't like how people claim it is awful when in fact to me it seems perfectly fair and that by people talking about it so negatively it could reduce the number of people going to uni when if you actually look at it will have little affect on your later life. Yes, the interest should be less but other than that I think it's great and am pleased maintenance grants are being scrapped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Goods)
    Presumptuous. Again I return to my belief that my parents earnings and education should make no difference to whether or not I as an individual can afford university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well it would as the majority of kids whose parents are high earners will have help through uni since they are high earners and were born into a good

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Whoever begins a degree in 2016/17 onwards will be affected.
    So we aint affected at all?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes but this loan is different to other loans in that it automatically gets taken from your pay, you never see it so all it really does for the purposes of the bank is reduce your income. I just don't like how people claim it is awful when in fact to me it seems perfectly fair and that by people talking about it so negatively it could reduce the number of people going to uni when if you actually look at it will have little affect on your later life. Yes, the interest should be less but other than that I think it's great and am pleased maintenance grants are being scrapped.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol. I know who you voted for. You taking a maintanence loan/grant out?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HopefulLawyerHG;[url="tel:57635175")
    57635175[/url]] However I can't see many mortgage companies refusing a mortgage because of a student loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'll have to disagree with this. It might not be too much of a problem in the UK, but coming from a country where close to nobody has any student debt at all, I'm sure it will affect my ability to take out a mortgage loan if I decide to return some day.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by physicsmaths)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Correct

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by rosedam)
    I'll have to disagree with this. It might not be too much of a problem in the UK, but coming from a country where close to nobody has any student debt at all, I'm sure it will affect my ability to take out a mortgage loan if I decide to return some day.
    Why? It doesn't affect your credit rating.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So just to absolutely confirm if eligible people starting this year get a grant this year and stay eligible they'd get grants for all 3-4 years of the degree? Where have they confirmed this?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by TVIO)
    So just to absolutely confirm if eligible people starting this year get a grant this year and stay eligible they'd get grants for all 3-4 years of the degree? Where have they confirmed this?
    Correct. There's a tweet from SFE and it's in the official budget 2015 docs.

It only affects NEW students entering uni 2016/17 onwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Correct. There's a tweet from SFE and it's in the official budget 2015 docs.

It only affects NEW students entering uni 2016/17 onwards.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks for the quick confirmation. God I hate the tories

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That appears to be the case ( I wouldn't take that as definite however)

ReputationRep:
    Lol. I know who you voted for. You taking a maintanence loan/grant out?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You'd probably be surprised. I'm taking out a maintenance loan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    Basically you go into the 'contract' with the government on student loan when you start your course, so new 'scheme' which'll start a year after you already started won't affect your contract.
    It's the same as when they raised the tuition fee in 2012. All students who started their course in 2011 or before were/are still on the lower tuition fee before the increase until the end of their undergrad course.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know how quickly we become official members of the college? The thing is, apple give a students discount, but one has to be registered with the University for it first. Should I just give up the discount? It's 15%... ;(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomfailinghelp)
    Does anyone know how quickly we become official members of the college? The thing is, apple give a students discount, but one has to be registered with the University for it first. Should I just give up the discount? It's 15%... ;(
    Can you use your previous sixth form in any way?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elcor)
    Can you use your previous sixth form in any way?
    No! It works through Unidays, so I am registered, but one only qualifies for thee discount if one is registered for a University.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.