Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FCB)
    I know exactly how you feel not wanting to jump the gun, but unless you have lied about something very important on your application I would assume it's safe to say you will be offered a place! Congratulations!

Clare was my first option, and I heard back from them just over a week after receiving my official offer of a place. I heard back today (just shy of 2 weeks after offer,) that I was also unsuccessful at Trinity, my second choice :/. I think you may be right, because Trinity specifically said they generally stop admissions for graduate students in April/May, and it's obviously a first come first served basis for graduate entry into colleges. Then again it's equally likely that those two colleges didn't like me as an applicant, I don't want to make excuses.

To be completely honest I'm not too concerned about college, The reason I picked those as my preferences was that I would like to be central in Cambridge, and the buildings/gardens look great. As far as I know, the computer programme will essentially send my application to 3 different colleges now, probably based who has the most space. Fingers crossed I'm not allocated to a college that I dislike :/.

Best of luck getting into your colleges.
    Anyone else here doing MPhil epidemiology that already knows what college they will be attending?
    Hey!
    I've got an offer for MPhil Public Health, which has roughly 70% overlap with Epidemiology. Same department, slightly greater focus on the qualitative side. I've got a place at Magdalene, which is also where I finished my BA in 2015.

In general, people tend to be happy with their college regardless of where they end up. I got Magdalene for my BA through being pooled, which means I wasn't accepted at my first choice of college, and I was thoroughly happy with it despite initially applying to Clare. The only choice I'd worry about is Girton, which is a while away (and about doubles your distance to Addenbrookes, where the Epidemiology/Public Health work takes place), but the chances of you being that unlucky are slim!

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently at Wolfson - feel free to PM me with questions.

It's diverse and fun. Housing is a bit low quality for what you're paying (Darwin, has larger rooms for 150 pounds cheaper/month). Every room has a single uncomfortable bed, that can be resolved with topper. Rooms are small, across the board. As a result, a lot of people who are staying for more than an MPhil choose to live in private accommodation where you can get a double bed and a room three times the size for an extra 20 pounds/month.

Gym is good for a college gym, though I'd utilize the university sports centre if you want a large array of good equipment and classes.

The people and events are awesome. All of my closest friends are from Wolfson as well. Bop's (think of a dance party with a DJ) and Howler's (comedy nights) are absolutely A+. Food is mediocre, a bit overpriced for what you get as well (Corpus Christi food is between 2.5 and 3.5 pounds, Wolfson is typically 4 pounds per meal, if you eat a normal meal). Formal halls are okay, but you don't get much for your money since the food is mediocre.

Unless you're in veterinary sciences or medicine, funding is damn near impossible. It's a product of being a new college and having very little funding endowments as a result.

The porters are the absolute best. Location is great for me (I'm on the Sidgwick site - where law, POLIS, economics, etc are) - on the rare occasion that there's a sunny day out, I'll walk instead of cycle. 3 minute cycle or 9 minute walk.

That's all I can think of for now.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone successfully turned their course into a research assistant position in order to pay staff fees? That seems to be my only hope of funding at this point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jankenstein)
    Hey!
    I've got an offer for MPhil Public Health, which has roughly 70% overlap with Epidemiology. Same department, slightly greater focus on the qualitative side. I've got a place at Magdalene, which is also where I finished my BA in 2015.

In general, people tend to be happy with their college regardless of where they end up. I got Magdalene for my BA through being pooled, which means I wasn't accepted at my first choice of college, and I was thoroughly happy with it despite initially applying to Clare. The only choice I'd worry about is Girton, which is a while away (and about doubles your distance to Addenbrookes, where the Epidemiology/Public Health work takes place), but the chances of you being that unlucky are slim!
    Thanks for the advice and feedback!
    I'm sure I'm just worrying for no reason.
    I look forward to seeing you around

As a side note, has the department emailed you directly yet? Or just the graduate admissions board?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FCB)
    Thanks for the advice and feedback!
    I'm sure I'm just worrying for no reason.
    I look forward to seeing you around

As a side note, has the department emailed you directly yet? Or just the graduate admissions board?
    No worries at all - and likewise!

Nothing from the Department. I called them up a few times to ask about the Cambridge Trust, MRC funding, etc, but that's mostly because I'm currently working at the University and felt I was more likely to get through to badger them if I called from an internal line However, in terms of admission itself, the Department hasn't said anything beyond that I should accept my offer because doing so doesn't commit me to coming here, but the system may eventually rescind the offer if I don't accept it (accept, not confirm).

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys! Congrats to all who have an offer!! I got accepted for an MPhil about a month ago, but my application seems to have stuck at my second college preference (Emmanuel) for three weeks now. Doesn't that seem like a bit too much? Has anyone had a similar problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jankenstein)
    No worries at all - and likewise!

Nothing from the Department. I called them up a few times to ask about the Cambridge Trust, MRC funding, etc, but that's mostly because I'm currently working at the University and felt I was more likely to get through to badger them if I called from an internal line However, in terms of admission itself, the Department hasn't said anything beyond that I should accept my offer because doing so doesn't commit me to coming here, but the system may eventually rescind the offer if I don't accept it (accept, not confirm).
    Ah cool. I assume they couldn't offer much information about the MRC Studentships? I know a member of staff relatively well, as they interviewed me for a PhD position in the department and recommended that I apply for the MPhil, I emailed them directly to say thanks for the advice and they gave a congratulations, didn't really give away more information on timeframes.

Have you spoken to your prospective supervisor at all?

ReputationRep:
    My current application status is "awaiting decision from the BoGS" and it has been like that for a week now. How long does it usually take for it to change? Am I suppose to panick or nah?

ReputationRep:
    how long did it take you all to get your college place after receiving an offer? I think I've been waiting for two or three weeks now!

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

have a question to you, probably a very stupid one, but nonetheless, if I have a condition:

Completion of study dec - You must provide formal evidence that you have EITHER completed OR have permission to intermit from your current course of study.

based on the offer conditions booklet, if I understood correctly, this means, that it would be enough for me to drop out form my current course, right? Thanks in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slawek)
    Hi Guys,

have a question to you, probably a very stupid one, but nonetheless, if I have a condition:

Completion of study dec - You must provide formal evidence that you have EITHER completed OR have permission to intermit from your current course of study.

based on the offer conditions booklet, if I understood correctly, this means, that it would be enough for me to drop out form my current course, right? Thanks in advance!
    You'd need to ask. If your offer condition is completion or intermission, then that's what they want - don't assume that dropping out would be OK

ReputationRep:
    Just in case any late applicants like me wanted some update/experience with someone in the same boat, I will briefly write my experiences thus far.

May 2nd: My second referee submitted the reference.
    May 6: My application updated from "Awaiting consideration from the department" to "Under consideration by the degree committee."

I have been under the degree committee since (so a week now).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JmXXX)
    how long did it take you all to get your college place after receiving an offer? I think I've been waiting for two or three weeks now!
    I was rejected from Trinity in days after my offer has been sent to me via email. Got a place at Trinity Hall next week or so afterwords. But as fair as I know it may vary substantially.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FCB)
    Ah cool. I assume they couldn't offer much information about the MRC Studentships? I know a member of staff relatively well, as they interviewed me for a PhD position in the department and recommended that I apply for the MPhil, I emailed them directly to say thanks for the advice and they gave a congratulations, didn't really give away more information on timeframes.

Have you spoken to your prospective supervisor at all?
    All they could tell me was that I don't need to/can't submit additional supporting material, which I found odd because someone applying in April had 5 months to get extra experience compared to my submitting the application in December. Nothing about when they'd start to work through the MRC applicants or how long it would take, though.

I've had no contact with the supervisor at all - I have a feeling he was allocated randomly on application, perhaps roughly based on what I indicated in the application in terms of my interests. It should have no effect on what you can choose to do in terms of projects - I've a feeling the supervisor as allocated during the application process is more of a pastoral role than anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.Higgins)
    Has anyone got an offer for the MPhil in World History? My application has been under consideration by the degree committee for 5 weeks now starting to get very frustrating.
    Hey, I'm an offer holder for the MPhil in World History. How can I help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gtx85)
    I'm currently at Wolfson - feel free to PM me with questions.
    Thank you gtx85 for that assessment of Wolfson. I'm looking forward to joining the College - it doesn't sound too bad. Right now I just can't wait to get started. Were you able to pick a particular house/price category through your accomodation form?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by omgwhat)
    Hey, I'm an offer holder for the MPhil in World History. How can I help?
    Thanks for the response. If you don't mind me asking when did you apply for the course and how long did it take before you got a response? I applied in mid March so it has been around two months now without any communications.

ReputationRep:
    Woohooo, I totally forgot to mention it here but I was accepted to the MPhil Social & Developmental Psychology the day before yesterdaaaay! It's been such a long wait, I can't believe it's over (well, this part anyways haha)!!! For all of you who're still waiting and interested in my timeline:

Application submitted: January 6, 2016
    Under consideration of department: around February 12 until basically May 9. :afraid:
    Degree committee: May 9-May 11 (I only checked on the 11th so perhaps even shorter)
    BoGS: May 11
    Offer made: May 12

It's incredible how fast the last stages were! I received my official letter of admission via email yesterday.
    At the moment, my CamSiS states "under consideration of college", so I'm curious about the outcome. I applied 1st choice to St. John, 2nd choice to Newnham. Do you guys think there is any chance at all that I'm admitted to St. John's or is it already oversubscribed and are my chances 0 cause I received such a late offer? I applied there mainly because of their graduate scholarships, but I cannot win any of them now anyways right, cause the deadline has already passed I believe.. Or are there scholarships that are still open by St. Johns?

Anyways, goodluck to all of you who are still waiting! Don't give up cause as you can see from my timeline: it can take a looooong time before you hear something, but it might be worth the wait!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A.Higgins)
    Thanks for the response. If you don't mind me asking when did you apply for the course and how long did it take before you got a response? I applied in mid March so it has been around two months now without any communications.
    You might consider emailing your course's administrative assistant with any updates in your life, such as receiving an award. I applied March 1st, emailed an update March 29th after not hearing anything, and learned a week later that they wanted to interview me. I'm not sure if the email update did the trick, but it might be a way of keeping you on their radar. Don't give up! I just received my offer last week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by royn)
    Thank you gtx85 for that assessment of Wolfson. I'm looking forward to joining the College - it doesn't sound too bad. Right now I just can't wait to get started. Were you able to pick a particular house/price category through your accomodation form?
    Yes! :-) The nicest thing about Wolfson accom is that if you don't spend the holidays in Cam, you can move your stuff into college storage and not pay for your room - this saved me about 600 pounds over the Christmas holidays. You can also do this for other breaks - can be quite a savings!

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Staffordshire University
    Nursing and Midwifery Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
  • Teesside University
    Undergraduate open day Undergraduate
    Wed, 17 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.