Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    For me, I was pretty anxious and nervous about the whole thing in the days leading up to it, but in the real thing it wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be.

I inteviewed for medicine btw, and the technical questions I got were pretty unusual but do-able. The interviewers were actually really nice to the applicants at my college, and whenever I got stuck they were patient and gave me helpful hints here and there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophdoph)
    Got back from my PPE interviews yesterday and am still shattered.

Had 1hr 15mins test on monday, politics 20mins interview monday pm, philosophy 20mins interview tuesday morning and 40min economics on tuesday afternoon. They went OK..its really hard to judge as they push you to think a lot and it mashes up your brain totally.

Keble is a wicked college, lovely people, so friendly and helpful, nice JCR and good bar apart from the bar man calling last orders about 10.30 on tuesday when we all intended to get pissed :eek:
    ive a friend at keble doing theophil called alice. 40 min economics? wow they must have really enjoyed talking to you, thats ages

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Jon)
    For me, I was pretty anxious and nervous about the whole thing in the days leading up to it, but in the real thing it wasn't quite as bad as I thought it would be.

I inteviewed for medicine btw, and the technical questions I got were pretty unusual but do-able. The interviewers were actually really nice to the applicants at my college, and whenever I got stuck they were patient and gave me helpful hints here and there.
    best of luck then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xinxinlu)
    i am applyign economics at clare, and know nothing about economics. now i am really regret that i choose economics instead of maths!!!
    just came back from my interview... it was quite demanding, I would say, but what bothered me most is that the second tutor (the one that held the more "general" interview) didn't even read my ucas form! since I'm an international student, my qualifications are different from british ones and I had to explain him everything, although all needed pieces of information were given in the application. *grumpf* anyhow, I just wonder what would have happened if I hadn't asked him whether he had understood my application?!? I'm not even sure he understands it now, even after I've explained everything clearly and thoroughly. I bet they don't even read half of the ucas forms and give offeres on the basis of handwriting, for example... well, we'll see in january when we get replies, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TK0)
    oxford didnt give someone i know an interview, they really should have.

anyone in cambridge sun/monday? else ill be bored!
    oh thank god lol, i am really pretty nervous about my interview on monday. Am doing english lit and have had no prep whatsoever at my school, in fact i am their first ever candidate!!
    what on earth will they ask lol, an incoherent babble is no method of answer----> please help me lol (or at least keep me company on monday!) meeeeeeep

regards. Simon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Jon)
    By this point in time, most of the Cambridge applicants have probably had their interviews already (or are having them as we speak). I had mine a couple days ago and I just want to see how everyone else thinks they did. A couple questions to get the ball rolling:

-Were the interviews as scary as you thought they would be?

-Looking back, would you have said/acted/worn anything different?
    no the ints were wayyyyyy nicer than i thought......and i prob would have liked to say more...my nerves got in the way a bit but it was a great experience and i think i did ok! fingers crossed....touch wood! etc etc!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    no the ints were wayyyyyy nicer than i thought......and i prob would have liked to say more...my nerves got in the way a bit but it was a great experience and i think i did ok! fingers crossed....touch wood! etc etc!
    Yay, glad it wasn't too nervewracking for you! The interviewers can be human on occasion. Fingers crossed and all that, for everyone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)
    Yay, glad it wasn't too nervewracking for you! The interviewers can be human on occasion. Fingers crossed and all that, for everyone.
    I had one interviewer who would close his eyes, then suddenly wake up and fire questions at me and then he would go into twitching mode, which was scary...reminded me of the drunken old fart on the fast show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blamps)
    I had one interviewer who would close his eyes, then suddenly wake up and fire questions at me and then he would go into twitching mode, which was scary...reminded me of the drunken old fart on the fast show
    but the other 2 interviewers who were present were quite friendly and receptive

ReputationRep:
    My interviewers got them themselves confused on one of the questions and ended up getting stuck and having to move on

So they are human...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theone)
    My interviewers got them themselves confused on one of the questions and ended up getting stuck and having to move on

So they are human...
    did you find the interviwers were very sharp in replying and getting one up on you...I expected that

ReputationRep:
    my interviewers were both really nice, normal friendly people....even when they tried to criticise something i said they said it so nicely that i didnt feel at all intimidated.....maybe they were letting me down gently

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tina)
    my interviewers were both really nice, normal friendly people....even when they tried to criticise something i said they said it so nicely that i didnt feel at all intimidated.....maybe they were letting me down gently
    How many interviews did you have?

ReputationRep:
    How many interviews did you have?

ReputationRep:
    did you find the interviwers were very sharp in replying and getting one up on you...I expected that
    Not particularly, although they were quick to help me when i was stuck which made me think like they thought i was stupid...

ReputationRep:
    All I know is that my interviewers expressed only 2 emotions.

either looks of deep thought and decision

or eager smiles of encouragement and acknowledgement

i consider this to be a positive thing, though I have no idea if I got in or not (wish I'd done the prep work, it would have gone so smoothly)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Seer)
    All I know is that my interviewers expressed only 2 emotions.

either looks of deep thought and decision

or eager smiles of encouragement and acknowledgement

i consider this to be a positive thing, though I have no idea if I got in or not (wish I'd done the prep work, it would have gone so smoothly)
    what subject was it for?? please someone have applied for english at peterhouse!!!!!!

simon

(Original post by Helenia)
    Oh, and there was me thinking I was oh-so-special.

Parkin's great, but if he's on your table it's really annoying cos he's always buggering off to look at other people's and doesn't spend enough time with you. Still, it's an excuse for us to grab the twins to have a look at things for us

Don't know about that other bloke - what does he look like? There are a couple of camp ones sort of in-between age - too old for the young demonstrators group but too young for the Bridger/Whitaker/Parkin crowd.

Do you know Caleb? He's the only Corpus medic I know by sight, although I haven't really spoken to him that much - he's friends with a couple of the other Clare medics.

Hildabeast - I still haven't met your friend Natalie, and I thought I knew most of the freshers by now. I'll have to look at the Matric photo...
    Caleb is an institution. I don't know if you've realised, but he's actually already done one degree - in geography. Basically as part of his scholorship he had to do a non medic degree (he wanted to do medicine) so he chose geography...and then came top in cambridge 3 years in a row.
    Great kiwi guy.
    J

ReputationRep:
    philosophy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by foolfarian)
    Caleb is an institution. I don't know if you've realised, but he's actually already done one degree - in geography. Basically as part of his scholorship he had to do a non medic degree (he wanted to do medicine) so he chose geography...and then came top in cambridge 3 years in a row.
    Great kiwi guy.
    J
    Yeah, I know he's a grad student, cos he knows our grad student. And I heard about him coming top every year. These things sure get around fast, don't they? Didn't realise he was a kiwi though - but I haven't spoken to him much, just been around when the other Clare medics (who are on the other half of the timetable) are talking to him.

Anyway, I suppose we'd better leave this thread to the people having interviews - too much personal information (like there isn't already enough!) isn't a good thing.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2003
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.