Have you considered bacon? :rolleyes:
No. Do you not know what vegan means?
Wade-
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by viddy9)
You misunderstand what vegetarianism and indeed veganism is about. It's not about being morally perfect, it's about minimising the suffering you're responsible for.

Appealling to hypocrisy is fallacious in any case, but more so because there's an ethical continuum in this case.
Without trying to use big words to sound clever and just not making much sense explain this to me: why say it's wrong to kill animals and eat them but then still happily use things that parts of their dead bodies are used to make?

I'm aware of what veganism is but it still makes no sense to condemn the killing of animals for meat but then accept it for other things

Posted from TSR Mobile
Tarte Tatin
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Well aren't we a rebel.
viddy9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kadak)
Posted from TSR Mobile

Some amino acids are not found in plants at all such as
Carnosine.
Creatine.
These amino acids are essential to development.
So your argument soybeans contain all the amino acids we need is false.
Incorrect. Carnosine is not an amino acid and neither is creatine. They are synthesised from amino acids found in plant-based foods.

Both articles have been debunked on numerous occasions because both authors didn't understand mathematics. I'll take the latter one first: Davis mistakenly assumes the two systems--crops only and crops with ruminant-pasture--using the same total amount of land, would feed identical numbers of people (i.e., the U.S. population). In fact, crop and ruminant systems produce different amounts of food per hectare -- the two systems would feed different numbers of people. To properly compare the harm caused by the two systems, we ought to calculate how many animals are killed in feeding equal populations--or the number of animals killed per consumer.

Davis suggests the number of wild animals killed per hectare in crop production (10) is twice that killed in ruminant-pasture (5). If this is true, then as long as crop production uses less than half as many hectares as ruminant-pasture to deliver the same amount of food, a vegetarian will kill fewer animals than an omnivore. In fact, crop production uses less than half as many hectares as grass-fed dairy and one-tenth as many hectares as grass-fed beef to deliver the same amount of protein. In one year, 1,000 kilograms of protein can be produced on as few as 0.37 hectares planted with soy, 2.6 hectares used as pasture for grass-fed dairy cows, or 10 hectares used as pasture for grass-fed beef cattle (Vandehaar 1998; UNFAO 1996). As such, to obtain the 20 kilograms of protein per year recommended for adults, a vegan-vegetarian would kill 0.07 wild animals annually, while a Davis-style omnivore would kill at least 1 wild animal per year. Thus, correcting Davis's math, we see that a vegan-vegetarian population would kill the fewest number of wild animals.

As for Archer's article, correcting for his maths, we get 1 sentient being killed in a plant-based diet for every 3 sentient beings killed due to meat production (this figure is even higher because meat-eaters eat plant-based food as well). See the three attached images for my correction of his maths.

Name:  Archer1.PNG
Views: 61
Size:  21.2 KB Name:  Archer2.PNG
Views: 69
Size:  16.4 KB Name:  Archer3.PNG
Views: 64
Size:  19.0 KB

(Original post by Kadak)
The pollution that comes from animals is due to the modern day farming practices and not the animal themselves.
Methane coming from cows comes from the animal themselves. And, meat production is invariably going to be more greenhouse gas-intensive than plant-based food production. Think about it: the grain has to be transported to the farm, the farm has to be powered, the animals have to be transported to the slaughterhouse, the slaughterhouse has to be powered and then the meat has to be transported to the supermarket.

As opposed to: vegetable transported to the supermarket.

(Original post by Kadak)
There is no overwhelming scientific consensus that a vegan diet is better.Show me one article from a respected scientific journal or organisation that says there is overwhelming evidence the vegan diet is better.
I never stated that a vegan diet is better. I stated that the overwhelming scientific consensus is that we can eat an ethical, plant-based diet without compromising our health. However, look at the studies I cited in my previous post: vegans have a lower risk of heart disease, Type 2 diabetes and all-cause mortality when other variables were controlled.

(Original post by Kadak)
Insecticides are not irrelevant as you forgot the environmental problem such as bioaccumulation and eutrophication that insecticides cause.The heavy use of insecticides has had a detrimental affect on bee populations which are important to pollinate many plants you Vegans eat, so your argument insecticides are harmless is laughable.

Most of the world grain is used to feed humans, not cattle.
You cannot just put the blame of animal deaths due to crop production on meat eaters since most crops are used to feed humans.It's such a cheap way of running away from the the responsibility you also share.
I'm not putting the blame of animal deaths due to crop production on meat eaters. I'm saying that vegans have the deaths of a small number of animals from crop production on their hands. I'm also saying that meat-eaters have these deaths on their hands too because the animal they're eating had to eat these crops. And, on top of that, meat-eaters have the miserable life and death of a nonhuman animal on their hands as well.

(Original post by Wade-)
Without trying to use big words to sound clever and just not making much sense explain this to me: why say it's wrong to kill animals and eat them but then still happily use things that parts of their dead bodies are used to make?

I'm aware of what veganism is but it still makes no sense to condemn the killing of animals for meat but then accept it for other things
You keep talking about 'things' that parts of their dead bodies are used to make. In actual fact, there are vegan alternatives for a plethora of different 'things', and I don't knowingly buy - and therefore I don't "happily use" - anything that parts of their dead bodies are used to make.

By adopting a plant-based, vegan diet, we reduce the demand for animal products and therefore reduce the supply of animal products. The more vegans there are, the less profitable it becomes to slaughter nonhuman animals, and there would be no point in growing an animal simply because its dead body would be used for a few things if nobody wanted to eat it. Why? Because it takes time, money, effort - resources - to grow an animal.
Josb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Hate me veggies:
Spoiler:
Show

Baby Milo
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Gaara Sama)
No. Do you not know what vegan means?
Yeah, it means you have your head firmly stuck up your backside.
Gaara Sama
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Baby Milo)
Yeah, it means you have your head firmly stuck up your backside.
Aww you seem to have learned an incorrect definition sweetie. Maybe look it up in a dictionary and expand your knowledge?
Baby Milo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Aww you seem to have learned an incorrect definition sweetie. Maybe look it up in a dictionary and expand your knowledge?
Sweetie? Are you sure you can eat those? Might wanna make sure they're vegan friendly first. Wouldn't want traces of meat in them now would you?

:rolleyes:

Vegans are bloody fascists seriously.
cupcakes87
Badges: 18
Report 4 years ago
please dont hate me :cry2:
Gaara Sama
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Baby Milo)
Sweetie? Are you sure you can eat those? Might wanna make sure they're vegan friendly first. Wouldn't want traces of meat in them now would you?

:rolleyes:

Vegans are bloody fascists seriously.
No hun, I was referring to you - how anyone could mistake that is beyond me.

And how are we fascist? Do enlighten.
Baby Milo
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I dont negotiate with plant murderers :hand:
galaxica
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by cupcakes87)
please dont hate me :cry2:
Nah, nobody hates you.
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Wade-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's wrong to use those bits of their bodies, too. I don't use leather, fur, or other animal products wherever possible and where I can identify them.
viddy9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

He's just trolling now, it seems. That much is evident from his "plant-murderer" comment.
TheTechN1304
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Do you feel threatened by vegetarianism or something?
emanueladiana
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Keiran0)
Ever get the feeling that vegetarians consider themselves morally superior to you? Like they think that not eating meat makes them so special that their **** doesn't stink? As if when someone stops eating meat, they suddenly become holy and dignified and it excuses them for the years of inconvenience and frustration they inevitably inflict upon their friends, family and co-workers who just want to go to a restaurant and order a damn steak without constantly being reminded that they're going to hell for eating an animal that spends most of its life ******** in a field. There are those of us who don't have a hyperactive sense of guilt and we don't give a **** about your mixed up self-righteous moral vegetarian agenda.

"I can't eat meat." The four worst words to hear when you're going to a restuarant with someone. I literally cringe every time I hear those words because I know it means that we have to drive around the city for 2 hours looking for some restuarant that serves "friendly" burgers, which ironically look and taste exactly like hamburgers--which vegetarians object to eating because it's either A) gross or B) murder. If it's so gross, then why go out of your way to eat something exactly like it, ********? It's funny how vegetarians suddenly stop *****ing about murder as soon as you point out their fancy leather belt or shoes, or that they drive a car and use electricity which contributes to polluting the earth and contaminating everything including the precious animals that they refuse to eat.

Well I'm tired of it. So what I've decided to do is sponsor a vegetarian! It's easy and spiteful, and we all know how much fun spiting people is! I'll explain..

What does it mean to sponsor a vegetarian? It means that you have to find someone in your life who's a really big pain in everyone's arse every time you want to go out to eat, and then you commit yourself to eating THREE times the amount of meat you'd normally consume to make up for all the meat that your vegetarian buddy isn't eating. It's that simple! That way, you can reverse the guilt trip that they've been laying on us for years by not only neutralizing their cause, but making it actually worse by eating more animals than would have ever been eaten had they not chosen to become vegetarians!

What if vegetarians say they don't care because we'll become fat by sponsoring them? I've thought about that already. All you have to do is exercise. I know it goes against the being lazy rule that I advocate so much, but this is so spiteful that it more than makes up for the exercise you'll have to do--which means that if you choose the 3 to 1 plan and sponsor a vegetarian, you're being so spiteful that you can't lose! If you have a choice, eat three separate types of animal to maximize your efficiency! Only offered beef? No problem: visit the zoo and eat a monkey!

The best part of it is that this plan is bullet proof. Finally those of us who don't have our heads firmly planted up our rear ends (with respect to vegetarianism, don't get me wrong, most people still need a crowbar up side the head) have a tool to combat these moral elitists!
Oh MY GOD that's one long post! I'm really not gonna read it, but I just came to say that I am not like that!

My story: Felt bad about the animal when eating it. Feeling got worse over the years. Feeling got so bad, the taste of meat wasn't worth it anymore => vegetarianism. Although personally I wouldn't really call myself a vegetarian, I am eating fish from time to time. Cos I know being a vegetarian is utterly illogical and against nature, and I know I need those goddamn proteins, as few as they are (and where I live there's no such thing as almond milk or other fancy vegan food).

So obviously I don't care if people around me are vegetarians, vegans, carnivores or anything. I became vegetarian to feel better about myself, not make others feel worse.

I'm an atheist, surely being vegetarian won't save me from the eternally tropical region where hell is.

So here's a vegetarian (or whatever I am) that is rightly insulted you hate her.
NHM713
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Wade-)
That's because the idea of cannibalism is abhorrent, you'd even go to jail if you made another animal do it.

So many everyday products contain things made from animals, things far more unexpected and obscure than just leather so by using those things you're just being a hypocrite by telling other people they shouldn't eat animals

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, it's about putting yourself in someone else's shoes (empathy). Just because things are the way they are today, do not mean they are right, it is because there are a lot of apathetic people who don't feel anything beyond their own egos.

oh, so i should languish at the morality bucket, because I not doing it EVERYTHING 100% perfect, that's so ridiculous.
Josb
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by emanueladiana)
Oh MY GOD that's one long post! I'm really not gonna read it, but I just came to say that I am not like that!
The thread is 6 years old.

What's this trend of bumping old threads?
emanueladiana
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Josb)
The thread is 6 years old.

What's this trend of bumping old threads?
Oh, my bad. I saw 'in the 'news feed', though.
Gaara Sama
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by viddy9)
He's just trolling now, it seems. That much is evident from his "plant-murderer" comment.
Yeah, some people have nothing better to do it seems...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (124)
39.37%
No - but I will (17)
5.4%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.35%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (154)
48.89%

Watched Threads