Turn on thread page Beta

Those applying for Speech Sciences / Speech and Language Therapy / SLT for 2010 Entry watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosie.batty)
    I sent the questionnaire back for Reading last Thursday, so the 26th November. Hopefully you'll get one next week! I think they can take up to two weeks to get back with the offer/rejection. I was so worried that my questionnaire would let me down becuase I make my writing really really small to get into each box even though at the top of the sheet it said to be concise. Have you heard back from any of your other choices?
    i just want to hear from them before my UEA interview so the pressure is off cause i'll know that i'll already have one offer!

and i've heard from Reading (obv ha) and UEA, rejected from UCL, not too fussed though as i really hated the idea of being in london! and nothing from DMU and Newcastle!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zanzapan)
    good stuff! I have that interview on the 8th at Sheffield. Is it your first interview?
    Yeahh its my first interview, I'm so scared, don't really know what to expect especially with the listening test bit Is it your first too?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bumblebee111191)
    i've got my UEA interview on the same day, so i'll see you there! how are you preparing for it?
    Ahh nice, I don't really know! Think i'm going to plan answers to the big obvious questions they'll probably ask like why do you want to do speech therapy and then just make it up from there. You?

ReputationRep:
    Finally have heard back from places and got interviews
    UCL 20th Jan and UEA 8th Feb.. anyone else got them then?
    I'm really scared even though its ages away aa
    How has everyones interviews been so far? they ok?
    Really wish I'd heard back from Newcastle, thats my favourite!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brookie:))
    Yeahh its my first interview, I'm so scared, don't really know what to expect especially with the listening test bit Is it your first too?

Dont be scared! The listening test apparantly is really simple, so dont worry
    Its my second interview, I had one at UCL last wednesday and got an offer and it was really nice interview so I aint too scared for Sheffield now. I hope it is as casual as UCL was!

ReputationRep:
    Urgh, I just read something about UCP Marjon that I wish I hadn't.

It's an ex-student saying she had applied for SLT, but was offered English Language and Linguistics instead (which is a BA and doesn't lead to being a SALT).

ReputationRep:
    Ahh nice, I don't really know! Think i'm going to plan answers to the big obvious questions they'll probably ask like why do you want to do speech therapy and then just make it up from there. You?
    yeah i tried to research what they asked last year and most of them where, why do you want to be a SLT? why UEA? and stuff about ourselves and working in a group etc (: i just hope it's laid back and not scary!! do you have to be there for 8.30am?

Brookie i just noticed that you're from Kent aswell!! where abouts in Kent are you from? and are you staying over the night before the interview or just going up in the morning? i'm having to get up at 5am to get there on time!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone :-) I'm gonna crash the thread because I've been thinking about maybe applying for speech and language therapy, I realise I'm a little late and I'm going to have to make my mind up pretty sharpish after mulling over this for about half a year! Does anyone have any good resources, for example videos and things, showing speech therapy in action? I've emailed a few places about observing people with speech difficulties and watched some videos on you tube and read as many career profiles as I can find! I'm actually what would be classed as a mature student, I'm 22, I studied English Language (loved linguistics - I actually applied for uni to do English Language and Linguistics when I was 18 but then changed my mind about uni in general at that point), History and Sociology for A-levels and got ABB and I'm currently studying a 60 point (equivalent first year of uni) course in Science with the Open University and doing really well so far but I'm trying to find out as much as I can about the career before biting the bullet and making a complete life change I guess! I've also applied for a Speech and Language therapy assistant position so I'm waiting to hear back about that.

I really want to work in a helping profession, I'm really patient and easy going and have worked in professions like HR and got a lot of customer service experience so am used to advising and explaining things to people but I worry that I don't have much recent experience with children and won't be able to engage with them like the therapists seem to be able to. I used to help out with brownies, guides and summer camps when I was 16 but then work got in the way and I stopped, though I did used to teach the brownies how to play recorder and was a camp leader! How did you all know that this was what you wanted to do, particularly if you don't have any experience?

I'm not sure whether I should just apply and at least I've done it and can think more about it later, as I'm definitely not going to be able to get any experience in before the application date!

ReputationRep:
    i just want to hear from them before my UEA interview so the pressure is off cause i'll know that i'll already have one offer!

and i've heard from Reading (obv ha) and UEA, rejected from UCL, not too fussed though as i really hated the idea of being in london! and nothing from DMU and Newcastle!!

Hope you get your offer for Reading, it'd be nice to know somebody on the course beforehand! What made it want to be your first choice? I totally know what you mean about UCL.. I didn't apply there as the grades would be too stressful, but I had a look around City and just thought how much I'd hate being in London... Tell us if you get contacted from Reading! And hope your interview goes well.

ReputationRep:
    hello! i posted on here a while ago, but haven't posted anything since so i thought i would re introduce myself!
    Where are you applying?
    Reading, Manchester, Sheffield, UCL, UWIC
    What grades do you need?
    ABB/BBB
    What subjects do you do?
    Psychology, Sociology, Geography
    Have you sent off your UCAS?
    Yep sent off on 18th November
    Did you get much work experience?
    A few days shadowing SLTs, worked in schools, sign language.

Ive got an offer from UWIC- but not my first choice. Ive had questionnaires from Manchester and Reading and sent those off yesterday and today. And ive got an interview at Sheffield on 14th December. Does anyone else have one then?

ReputationRep:
    yeah i tried to research what they asked last year and most of them where, why do you want to be a SLT? why UEA? and stuff about ourselves and working in a group etc (: i just hope it's laid back and not scary!! do you have to be there for 8.30am?

Brookie i just noticed that you're from Kent aswell!! where abouts in Kent are you from? and are you staying over the night before the interview or just going up in the morning? i'm having to get up at 5am to get there on time!!
    I think I'm just going up on the morning, its gonna be a very early start! Yeahh I am, I'm from Tonbridge, if you know where that is? Where are you from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosemissis72)
    hello! i posted on here a while ago, but haven't posted anything since so i thought i would re introduce myself!
    Where are you applying?
    Reading, Manchester, Sheffield, UCL, UWIC
    What grades do you need?
    ABB/BBB
    What subjects do you do?
    Psychology, Sociology, Geography
    Have you sent off your UCAS?
    Yep sent off on 18th November
    Did you get much work experience?
    A few days shadowing SLTs, worked in schools, sign language.

Ive got an offer from UWIC- but not my first choice. Ive had questionnaires from Manchester and Reading and sent those off yesterday and today. And ive got an interview at Sheffield on 14th December. Does anyone else have one then?
    Hello I got an offer from Reading about a week and a half after sending my questionnaire off so hopefully you'll hear quite soon!
    I've got my Sheffield interview tomorrow so unfortuantely I wont see you there!

ReputationRep:
    Hope you get your offer for Reading, it'd be nice to know somebody on the course beforehand! What made it want to be your first choice? I totally know what you mean about UCL.. I didn't apply there as the grades would be too stressful, but I had a look around City and just thought how much I'd hate being in London... Tell us if you get contacted from Reading! And hope your interview goes well.
    i loved the campus, and the on-site clinic was great! i just really loved the whole feel of it and the lecturers seemed lovely and very passionate!! how bout you? and thanks, i hope it goes okay!!

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm just going up on the morning, its gonna be a very early start! Yeahh I am, I'm from Tonbridge, if you know where that is? Where are you from?
    yeah i do! i'm from Maidstone which is fairly close to Tonbridge!! yeah not looking forward to the 5am start!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LooCee)
    I really want to work in a helping profession, I'm really patient and easy going and have worked in professions like HR and got a lot of customer service experience so am used to advising and explaining things to people but I worry that I don't have much recent experience with children and won't be able to engage with them like the therapists seem to be able to. I used to help out with brownies, guides and summer camps when I was 16 but then work got in the way and I stopped, though I did used to teach the brownies how to play recorder and was a camp leader! How did you all know that this was what you wanted to do, particularly if you don't have any experience?
    welcome to the thread
    well i started my volunteer work 3 years ago and i help at a special needs school, and at a local primary school helping them learn their sounds, and that got me first thinking about being a SLT. Then i researched it some more on the internet and seeing how diverse it is and the range of disorders/age groups you get to work with really appealed to me. I also observed a SLT and that confirmed it for me, and as i was watching her i could just imagine myself doing it!!

i think, if you research it and it still appeals to you then defo apply

ReputationRep:
    Heeeey guys, for the sheffield interview it says it includes a 'group discussion'. does anyone have any idea what this will be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zanzapan)
    Heeeey guys, for the sheffield interview it says it includes a 'group discussion'. does anyone have any idea what this will be?
    it might be completely unrelated but my sister had a group discussion as part of her medicine interview, and all of the students sat in a room and the interviewer started off a discussion/debate and you had to discuss it. it was mainly to see how much you spoke/took a role in the discussion and the valid points you make.

ReputationRep:
    I just looked at an old thread from SLT students and found out that it is just like at UCL where they gave a presentation and gave time at the end for questions.

I am really nervous about the sheffield interview tomorrow since I really really really want to go there and I have set myself up for such a hard fall if I dont get an offer!

ReputationRep:
    i loved the campus, and the on-site clinic was great! i just really loved the whole feel of it and the lecturers seemed lovely and very passionate!! how bout you? and thanks, i hope it goes okay!!
    I know what you mean about the lecturers, I put that in my questionnaire on why I want to go there! Any reply yet? The campus was awesome, bit worried about having to walk through all the greenery when it's going to be wet and windy but I'd still prefer that to big city universities I think. And the child development study sounds interesting, really hands on. I'm sure your interview tomorrow will be fine! What time is it? Just stay relaxed. Imagine them naked!

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean about the lecturers, I put that in my questionnaire on why I want to go there! Any reply yet? The campus was awesome, bit worried about having to walk through all the greenery when it's going to be wet and windy but I'd still prefer that to big city universities I think. And the child development study sounds interesting, really hands on. I'm sure your interview tomorrow will be fine! What time is it? Just stay relaxed. Imagine them naked!
    i put about the lecturers on my questionnaire as well!!
    nope not yet starting to get really worried...
    yeah but i was amazed at how much green space there was, and i imagine that it'll be nice in the summer
    my interview's on Monday at UEA, so really nervous about that! i have to be there at 8am :/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 16, 2010

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.