Today: Everybody Draw Mohammed Day! Watch

~flutterby~
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mikeylfc1989)
You've missed the point. The tension has been created. The Facebook group is offensive but you can choose to ignore it. Blowing it out of proportion will just result in a stronger reaction. People should stop being so over-sensitive.

^^^^There are more offensive groups on Facebook than this too which you don't hear people complaining about.

How can you ignore it? Thats why I said express your views in private with people who will chuckle along with you because they share your views. This has made the news, I heard about it through TSR, everyone has facebook, its impossible not to encounter it. The very fact they've made it into an official 'day' like some national event shows their intention is to make sure everybody hears about it.

A non religious person won't see it as a big deal. But people, especially Muslims, take their religion seriously. Why is that a problem for you, as long as they don't harass you? Why try to change how seriously they see their religion, telling them to lighten up, if they want to be serious about it? Do you not think thats obnoxious?
Srxjer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Tbh, Moderate Muslims should be blaming Radical Muslims for the barrage of Mohammad cartoons coming today. It's their fault.
birdsong1
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Srxjer)
Tbh, Moderate Muslims should be blaming Radical Muslims for the barrage of Mohammad cartoons coming today. It's their fault.
Quite true, but hey..
divine_alive
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TK2 King Pin)
he's hardly a scumbag is he, there's a nice little example of the needless hate building up within this religion

radical islam is the one that has sparked this, by being so petty about the matter. banning facebook for a day? that's stupid aswell
provoking extremists is an act of scumbags.
Needless hate would definitely build up if people are offended.
~flutterby~
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by birdsong1)
1) I'm not sure we're talking about a "peaceful" and "violent sect" here. This is not terrorists vs normal Muslims, like it usually is. The initial torching (not the car bombing later on) was the result of rioters.
Really? The fb group's mantra is: We simply want to show the extremists that threaten to harm people because of their Mohammed depictions, that we're not afraid of them.

So they're aiming only at the violent groups, like the one that killed Theo Van Gogh. Most mulsims aren't like that, and aren't like the rioters who torched the embassy. (who in my eyes come under violent)

2) I'm not "ok" with anything. All I can tell you is that your assertions that this was for no reason, and just to offend people, are wrong. Honestly, most of the participants probably have no idea about the people being offended. What they, and I, do care about is that this self-censorship under terror of death threats be put to a stop. If this can be done by encouraging people to give the extremists too many targets to count, then actually, IMHO, it is worth it. I think the world can be made safer by making a certain paradigm "normal", as opposed to it being manifested only in rare incidences which you can base riots (or fatwas leading to hotel bombings, in the case of Salman Rushdie) around.
All that demonstrates is ignorance.

And you really thing that somehow this will pacify the extremists? Give them too many targets to count? I don't think so. I think they'll just become more extreme, and want to bomb more buildings, regardless whether there are too many or too little, evey death would be a victory to them.

Bottom line is, I disagree with the whole notion, and the whole fb group and don't applaud the motive behind it, if you do, then, happy colouring in.
Srxjer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ~flutterby~)
But why does it bother you so much.

Thats the real question. Why is it so necessary to practise this supposed freedom of expression against people you know will take it seriously. Would it have been a disaster for the South Park episode not to have been aired? The more boundaries you push, the more reactions you'll encounter, and what for?
Freedom of speech is probably the most important civil liberty in a democratic society. It enables us as citizens to speak our minds, without being scared/forced into silence by a seemingly more 'powerful' body.

It is of utmost importance that our right to free speech isn't squandered, it must be defended.
divine_alive
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Even moderate muslims will not be happy with their prophet picturized as terrorist or something
birdsong1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Most mulsims aren't like that, and aren't like the rioters who torched the embassy. (who in my eyes come under violent)
I'm not sure you get it. Peaceful people protest. Protestors go in crowd. Emotions enter the fray. Crowd turns into riot. Rioters torch embassy. Normally peaceful people go back home. Hours later, "oh ****." World not so black and white.

All that demonstrates is ignorance.
Yes it does. It's human nature to be ignorant about certain things. And just what are you going to do about it, make billions of people non-ignorant?

And you really thing that somehow this will pacify the extremists? Give them too many targets to count? I don't think so. I think they'll just become more extreme, and want to bomb more buildings, regardless whether there are too many or too little, evey death would be a victory to them.
You seem to have insight into the minds of these extremists, which is more than what I can say. All I will really say, since there's too much speculation here, is that time will tell. But yes, if people simply stop issuing fatwas condemning so-and-so to death, it would already make me happier.
edanon
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
flutterby... i definetly agree with most of what you're saying... and i guess it is not a mature or wise move to have this "day".... but don't you think that part of the problem is the ridiculous concept that ANY muslims are going to be particularly hurt by seeing drawn representations of Mohammed?

Muslims are just human like the rest of us... it's not a natural insult to their eyes... like say... pictures of corpses would be. It is a silly rule which means that seeing pictures of mohammed is not something that a mature muslim adult can't ignore/handle surely?

It's all very silly... from both sides... but if the majority of muslims are decent and mature people then THEY should be able to compromise and ignore the childish people who are drawing the cartoons.
birdsong1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by divine_alive)
Even moderate muslims will not be happy with their prophet picturized as terrorist or something
No they wouldn't. And they have the radical muslims to blame for that (although are they actually going to do so? I doubt it.)
Diaz89
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Freedom of speech is probably the most important civil liberty in a democratic society. It enables us as citizens to speak our minds, without being scared/forced into silence by a seemingly more 'powerful' body.

It is of utmost importance that our right to free speech isn't squandered, it must be defended.
And yet defemation, racial incitment and slander laws exist....... :rolleyes:
The1truebelieber
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Diaz89)
And yet defemation, racial incitment and slander laws exist....... :rolleyes:

Jesus christ, everyone cites slander without knowing a thing about it.

Ever heard of the 'harm principle', do you know the requisites for slander?:rolleyes:
divine_alive
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by birdsong1)
No they wouldn't. And they have the radical muslims to blame for that (although are they actually going to do so? I doubt it.)
do what
Diaz89
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by HDS)
Jesus christ, everyone cites slander without knowing a thing about it.

Ever heard of the 'harm principle', do you know the requisites for slander?:rolleyes:
Slander-

is false or malicious claims that may harm someone's reputation.
birdsong1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by divine_alive)
do what
blame the right people XD
The1truebelieber
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Diaz89)
Slander-

is false or malicious claims that may harm someone's reputation.

Malicious has nothing to do with it except in very few cases.

If i catch you ******* all your workers I can print it everywhere i feel like as maliciously as I want in order to destroy your reputation, it's fine so long as it is true.

In any case, do you know of the harm principle?
jumpingjesusholycow
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by moregano)
The average Muslim wouldn't dream of torching embassies. But every Muslim has to see their religion mocked and their beliefs laughed at, as a "protest" against something they have no connection to whatsoever.

Whilst I value free speech and the rights of the organisers to do this, I think it's highly disrespectful, unnecessary behaviour, and is only going to make tensions worse.
There is so much truth in this it's unreal :o:
dam.p
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
People who wear the burka offend me, because I believe every woman in the Western world should cherish her right to independence and equality that so many women before her have fought for, and make use of it, yet I don't go over there telling them to rip it off. It's their business.
The point is, noone cares if I'm offended or not, but when someone does something to offend muslims, it's all OMGZ jihad and death to those who insult islam and stuff. I actually think the draw muhammed thing is mainly a retaliatory thing to show that death threats won't work on people who live in countries that value free speech. It's also pretty funny imo xD

Case in point:
:jebus:THIS GUY IS JESUS. [you don't see christians whining on about emoticons like this one do ya???]
:bban: THIS GUY IS MUHAMMED.

.... just wait for the reactions ;D
~flutterby~
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

I agree. Freedom of speech is a great liberty, but other factors have to come into it too. Like consideration for fellow humans who wish you no harm.

Don't you think that a soceity built on mutual respect between people who share drastically different views, (because thats the result of multiculturalism and globalisation, both of which are unavoidable and beneficial in these times) is more important?
Freedom of expression has to be kept in check, for the sake of maintaining good relations, suppressing your right to freedom of speech is sometimes the right thing to do if it means maintaining peace, stability, and productivity of soceity.

Freedom of speech can be abused, and in this instance I think it is, because there isn't a great cause that they're fighting for, its just been done to laugh at people.
birdsong1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Freedom of speech can be abused, and in this instance I think it is, because there isn't a great cause thet they're fighting for, its just been done to laugh at people.
Oh please.

I know there's a lot of possible contention in what I've told you, but the one thing that's for sure is that it's not being done to laugh at people.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1408)
79.68%
Leave (359)
20.32%

Watched Threads