Higher Maths :: Post-Exam Discussion :: 2010 :: Did you make it out alive? Watch

Poll: How did you find it?
Very hard. Thank god for appeals/resits! :( (34)
20.36%
Not too sure, and I don't want to think about it. :indiff: (68)
40.72%
Very easy! :thumbsup: (27)
16.17%
I don't care if I failed [i]or[/i] passed, maths is finally done with! :talkhand: :dancing: (8)
4.79%
Shoot me now. :bawling: (30)
17.96%
ukdragon37
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by garlicbreadman)
Can you please explain 7)b)
Part a shows you that if you have log_a X = P, then log_(a^2) X = 0.5P, because if a^P = X, X must also equal (a^2)^(P/2) since the powers multiply. Therefore if say log_3 X equals something, that same something is halved if the base is instead 9. So we can rewrite log_3 X as 2log_9 X.
ukdragon37
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by theblackswan)
oh good thanks, yes i found that out, took a little bit longer than I would have liked.

Also, for 7 a) is it acceptable to say that x=4^p, then take the log base 16 of both sides and prove it that way?
Yes that's perfectly fine
Iain333
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
On the last question on paper one, would 5r13 be the same as r65. If it's not does anyone know how many marks I'd lose for 23. (c) if I put both my answers in the r65 form? Cheers!

Also, for paper 2 if I didn't find the limits but worked out what to integrate (i.e done top-bottom) would this warrant a mark?
theblackswan
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
wahoo, got all the same answers as ukdragon, not sure about the multiple choice-anyone posted correct answers yet?? anyway, should be enough for an A, maybe band1?
CraigR1845
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
hey, any chance someone could scan and post the paper one (questions not solutions) ?

apologies if they are already on and i've missed them

cheers
iscool
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by ukdragon37)
That should be ok. For straight lines I think any equivalent answer is acceptable. Of course if you don't simplify it makes the latter parts slightly more difficult.
Originally Posted by theblackswan
Just wondering, does it matter that on Q21 a) my answer is 15y+6x=216?
I just didn't simplify fully, but got the same answers

I did that too i hope i get some marks
matthew93
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
For Paper 2, question 5a) (i) I know that the answer is (6 - x^2), and this is what i wrote.

However i only wrote this as i knew the area was 12x-2x^3, and for the area of the rectangle it is 2x (base) times height. So i took out a common factor of 2x, giving (6-x^2)

Then for (ii) i just wrote (2x)(6-x^2) = 12x - 2x^3 as required.

Would i get any marks for this?

Thanks.
rjgg10
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by garlicbreadman)
Yes u r right
Cool, cheers
iscool
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by matthew93)
For Paper 2, question 5a) (i) I know that the answer is (6 - x^2), and this is what i wrote.

However i only wrote this as i knew the area was 12x-2x^3, and for the area of the rectangle it is 2x (base) times height. So i took out a common factor of 2x, giving (6-x^2)

Then for (ii) i just wrote (2x)(6-x^2) = 12x - 2x^3 as required.

Would i get any marks for this?

Thanks.
I did that too...im not sure what marks will be given, but I also wrote y=6 and y=4 or something
innerhollow
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Solutions to paper 2

Of course open to any suggestions/improvements/corrections

(sorry had to delete the last one :ninja:)
Thanks for working hard on those and laying them out well too. That's really decent of you.

I completely botched question 5. 5a, I just feel so stupid for not realising you had to set the x-coordinate to 0! and got the wrong answer for 5b even though that was a straightforward differentiation question (don't know what happened there). Rest was concurrent with what you said.

Lost 2 marks on Paper 1 Section A for a stupid mistake, another few (should only be 3 at most) in Section B for getting the two-coordinates from 22c) and d) mixed up and another 4/5 from Paper 2- question 5, so that's me looking at around...

120/130... *sigh of relief*
garlicbreadman
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Part a shows you that if you have log_a X = P, then log_(a^2) X = 0.5P, because if a^P = X, X must also equal (a^2)^(P/2) since the powers multiply. Therefore if say log_3 X equals something, that same something is halved if the base is instead 9. So we can rewrite log_3 X as 2log_9 X.
Oh yeah.

Who else felt really short for time?
iscool
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
so did anyone get for 21.a) 15y=-6x+216
then put in the points of T, to get 180=180
c) but for c it gave ratio 1:2 which i know is wrong. how many marks roughly would i get....if any....
RizzyI
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by theblackswan)
oh good thanks, yes i found that out, took a little bit longer than I would have liked.

Also, for 7 a) is it acceptable to say that x=4^p, then take the log base 16 of both sides and prove it that way?
Hehe I did that aswell for the straight line thing. I can't believe I didn't think of simplifying the gradient, wouold have made it so much easier. I'm pretty sure they won't penalise us :p:

Out of curiousity did you get 180 for LHS = RHS in part b?
RizzyI
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by iscool)
so did anyone get for 21.a) 15y=-6x+216
then put in the points of T, to get 180=180
c) but for c it gave ratio 1:2 which i know is wrong. how many marks roughly would i get....if any....
Like I said to another member, I did that aswell and I don't think the SQA iwll penalise us. I mean, c'mon, we just showed them that we can solve it as a harder equation! :p:
garlicbreadman
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Has anyone's teacher said whether 2010 paper was easier or harder than 2009?
I am wondering so I can guestimate the grade boundary
ukdragon37
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My answers to the MC:

1)A 2)C 3)D 4)A 5)B 6)D 7)C 8)B 9)C 10)B 11)D 12)A 13)B 14)C 15)C 16)A 17)B 18)B 19)C 20)A
Bainyyyy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ok, I need people's help Q5.b) when x^2= 2, i stupidly thought that the square root of 2 was +or - 1, i said that it can only be postive, and proved its a maximum etc, but obviously got the wrong area. Would i only lose the one mark out of six as the sqa would carry an error ??

Thanks
iscool
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
our teacher thought paper 1 multi choice was same as last year, part 2 was slightly easier.
thought paper 2 was WAY more difficult that last year because the questions were less "accessible" (i know thats not how u spell it) meaning they were harder to actually start and the logs one was hard.
iscool
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
is 16. really C??? YUSSSS! please be C
ukdragon37
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by iscool)
is 16. really C??? YUSSSS! please be C
No I forgot (x-1) is squared :o:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (131)
46.45%
Pro-humanity (151)
53.55%