The Student Room Group

OCR A2 Economics - F585 Global Economy - Case Study Thread

Scroll to see replies

Right, I dont know whether any of you guys are in the same situation but I am struggling to revise for this exam. I look at the tutor2u and apt guides but end up just reading them - like what is the best way to revise for this exam? What the effective way of learning the vital content ad then applying it to the exam questions?
Any help would be appreciated.
Lucy x
Reply 261
All This advice may seen abit obvious but here's what I done when I did my paper :

1) understand all content fully even the concepts that do not directly relate to the case study , the latter ones you're probably be asked in the form of definitions and small 4 marker questions .

2) concentrate on the topics which are quite obvious in the case study.. In this one single currency markets is one. What I mean by concentrate is probably go over till you understand it in and out , and attempt to do as many questions. Then Apply it to the case study .. Read over bbc articles, YouTube videos

3) as essays are a big chunk of the paper, know how to structure essays. Remember two sided analysis, backed with a conclusion. All points made require analysis, sometimes with graphs. And there is a cap on marks if your answer is one sided or no conclusion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
mind if i ask what grade you got?

Original post by bijesh12
All This advice may seen abit obvious but here's what I done when I did my paper :

1) understand all content fully even the concepts that do not directly relate to the case study , the latter ones you're probably be asked in the form of definitions and small 4 marker questions .

2) concentrate on the topics which are quite obvious in the case study.. In this one single currency markets is one. What I mean by concentrate is probably go over till you understand it in and out , and attempt to do as many questions. Then Apply it to the case study .. Read over bbc articles, YouTube videos

3) as essays are a big chunk of the paper, know how to structure essays. Remember two sided analysis, backed with a conclusion. All points made require analysis, sometimes with graphs. And there is a cap on marks if your answer is one sided or no conclusion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 263
Original post by lucybrown92
mind if i ask what grade you got?

A overall in economics 92 in f585.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by bijesh12
A overall in economics 92 in f585.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Wow! Wish I can get something like that but probably won't haha!
Just cant get the bloody stuff to stick in my head :/
Reply 265
Original post by lucybrown92
Wow! Wish I can get something like that but probably won't haha!
Just cant get the bloody stuff to stick in my head :/

I would say instead of memorising actually try and understand these concepts, some of them are quite common sense. Then you may make some logical points expanding on your arguements, thats if you actually understand it. Not just memorise !!!!!
Original post by natd_x
What are everybody's predictions to questions they think are most likely to be on??

I have a feeling the benefits of a fixed echange rate system, something to do with FDI, the exchange rate of the Lat (why else would they throw in a mention of the Lat?), and then the 20 marker on sustainable development - possibly how it links to economic growth or the EU's SDS programme
Reply 267
Does anyone have the ocr jan 2013 question paper and mark scheme? Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's not hard to predict what topics they are going to ask about.
For the first two extracts (breifly):
Stages of integration and Benefits/costs of a monetary union
Exchange rates - fixed and floating costs and benefits. ERM 2
What happened to Latvia

I think there's going to be a question relating to the 3rd extract like 'what other things led to Estonia's success'
And the 20 mark is going to be something like: To what extent has Estonia reached its sustainable development goals (+policies they can implement)
Original post by zubhav
It's not hard to predict what topics they are going to ask about.
For the first two extracts (breifly):
Stages of integration and Benefits/costs of a monetary union
Exchange rates - fixed and floating costs and benefits. ERM 2
What happened to Latvia

I think there's going to be a question relating to the 3rd extract like 'what other things led to Estonia's success'
And the 20 mark is going to be something like: To what extent has Estonia reached its sustainable development goals (+policies they can implement)

from reading the case study they clearly need to fix income inequality and environmental issues, but the only policy's I can think of is environmental tax and progressive taxation instead of their flat rate tax, but they both have strong negatives of mainly the so called brain drain :/ (This would be good ao4 I guess but is there any other policies which would do a better job?)
Is the Maastricht Convergence criteria same as the EU stability and Growth pact?

Budget deficits max of 3% GDP and govt debt max of 60% GDP?
Reply 271
Original post by mandem2k11
Is the Maastricht Convergence criteria same as the EU stability and Growth pact?

Also achieving inflation no more than 1.5%, interest rates no more than 2% and exchange rate stability with normal fluctuation in ERMII in 2 previous years without severe tensions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mandem2k11

They aren't they same. But, stability and growth pact is included in the Maastricht Convergence Critera. Stability and growth pact is for EU and Maastricht convergence Criteria is for entry into Eurozone as an EU member
Original post by 11nrai23
Also achieving inflation no more than 1.5%, interest rates no more than 2% and exchange rate stability with normal fluctuation in ERMII in 2 previous years without severe tensions.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thatnks, also what is ERMII?
Original post by physicshelp123
from reading the case study they clearly need to fix income inequality and environmental issues, but the only policy's I can think of is environmental tax and progressive taxation instead of their flat rate tax, but they both have strong negatives of mainly the so called brain drain :/ (This would be good ao4 I guess but is there any other policies which would do a better job?)

For fixing income inequality, a regional minimum wage could be implemented so firms move into those rural areas for cheaper labour. And yes, for the environmental issues, tradable permits and all!
Could anyone shed some clarity on the process of joining the Eurozone?

My understanding is that once an economy has passed the Maastricht Convergence Criteria, it can participate in the EU, and then when a country has become eligible to participate in the ERMII it's entered automatically, whilst in the ERMII the government still has partial control over it's monetary policy decision making (with consultation with the ECB?) and then following two years of successful membership of the ERMII it can adopt the Euro as its legal tender?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read through that..
Reply 276
Original post by Hunarench95

My understanding is that once an economy has passed the Maastricht Convergence Criteria, it can participate in the EU, and then when a country has become eligible to participate in the ERMII it's entered automatically, whilst in the ERMII the government still has partial control over it's monetary policy decision making (with consultation with the ECB?) and then following two years of successful membership of the ERMII it can adopt the Euro as its legal tender?

From what I understand membership of ERM II is optional. When countries opt in after meeting the convergence criteria, they have to fix their exchange rate against the euro for two years, and then they are eligible to join the Euro.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JOR2010
From what I understand membership of ERM II is optional. When countries opt in after meeting the convergence criteria, they have to fix their exchange rate against the euro for two years, and then they are eligible to join the Euro.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought the ERMII is meant to be compulsory but the UK and Denmark managed to wiggle their way out of it?

Apart from that bit did I get the series of events right? ie meeting the Maastricht convergence criteria allows a country to become an EU member?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 278
Original post by Hunarench95

The Maastricht criteria is for admission for the eurozone, the ERMII is apart of the criteria

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 11nrai23
The Maastricht criteria is for admission for the eurozone, the ERMII is apart of the criteria

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've just been on the EU's website ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369514697.280889.jpg and it says that membership of the EU is dependant on adhering to the aims economic and monetary union.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1369514817.759865.jpg

And then the economic and monetary union includes the Maastricht treaty..?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending