The Student Room Group

Rejection from Cambridge for 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by username-x
Did anyone get quite nasty soul-crushing feedback from their rejection?
I did for Medicine and was basically torn into, not given constructive criticism.
They said things about my academics which would sound so ridiculous from another medical school: "averaging 90% in your AS Levels is basically quite ****"
Fair enough, I have been totally put off Cambridge, don't think it would have been right for me :smile:

Wow... what did they say?
Reply 261
My feedback was along the lines of "One set of interviewers loved you, the other set hated you". I was pooled but rejected as I hadn't taken enough math subjects (single maths + FM AS).

In the end, my subject choice was a major part of my downfall :frown:
Original post by Noodlzzz
Wow... what did they say?

basically what I said in my previous message - averaging 90% is not good enough I guess? I am predicted 3A*s and an A.
I got 6 A*s at GCSE which they said was good but not outstanding and that is probably a fair comment to make. I was just surprised because I had an amazing interview with the Admissions Tutor and sent him a lovely email for feedback and BOOM hurtfulness :smile:
When: 13th January 2010
How: Opened letter in front of dad
What for: Chemical Engineering
College: Girton
Emotions: Wasn't my first choice anyway but quite a few people from my school of a similar ability to me got offers, so I was expected to get one too. A but of a let down, would have been nice to get an offer.
Why: No idea, perhaps my Mark in Higher Maths (92%) was lower than average? I found my interview pretty straightforward though
Reapply?: Absolutely not
Original post by TheMeister
PPS, Jesus - rejected last Wednesday

aww, i'm sorry :frown: :frown: and you only just found out a week ago?! they really made you wait long. :frown:

Original post by username-x
Did anyone get quite nasty soul-crushing feedback from their rejection?
I did for Medicine and was basically torn into, not given constructive criticism.
They said things about my academics which would sound so ridiculous from another medical school: "averaging 90% in your AS Levels is basically quite ****"
Fair enough, I have been totally put off Cambridge, don't think it would have been right for me :smile:

ahh, i've been too scared to request feedback. :colondollar: i've moved on and feedback would probably make me feel like **** again. :redface:
Reply 265
Rejected by Jesus for MML (French and Spanish)

Was absolutely devastated at the time, I applied during my gap year (having been rejected by Pembroke last year, I thought it was worth another go) with 11A*s and 1A at GCSE, 4As at AS an A*A*AA at A2. My interviews went very well so I was completely taken by surprise not getting in, I guess that's what you get for not expecting the worst!

I hate feeling like a fool for thinking my chances would be better the second time around but I've also begun to hate Cambridge as an institution which makes you feel so worthless for not getting there. I got feedback, basically they said my grades and knowledge of the languages was good but that I "was not confident to wander outside the box".

Still leaves a lot of unanswered questions, not sure why I wasn't pooled but I've accepted a place at Edinburgh and I know I'll be much, much happier there.
Original post by Svalir
Rejected by Jesus for MML (French and Spanish)

Was absolutely devastated at the time, I applied during my gap year (having been rejected by Pembroke last year, I thought it was worth another go) with 11A*s and 1A at GCSE, 4As at AS an A*A*AA at A2. My interviews went very well so I was completely taken by surprise not getting in, I guess that's what you get for not expecting the worst!

I hate feeling like a fool for thinking my chances would be better the second time around but I've also begun to hate Cambridge as an institution which makes you feel so worthless for not getting there. I got feedback, basically they said my grades and knowledge of the languages was good but that I "was not confident to wander outside the box".

Still leaves a lot of unanswered questions, not sure why I wasn't pooled but I've accepted a place at Edinburgh and I know I'll be much, much happier there.

Sorry to hear that, I hope you have a brilliant time at Edinborough :smile:
Reply 267
Original post by Pheebs1201
Sorry to hear that, I hope you have a brilliant time at Edinborough :smile:

Rejection this year was dealt with so much more nastily, last year I was pooled and then rejected by Pembroke and I can't even describe how lovely their letter was, they were so apologetic and so kind, made you feel like they were unlucky not to have accepted you and that you'd go on to far greater things.

Jesus were blunt and horrible about it. I'd recommend every college to take a leaf out of Pembroke's book, rejection for people of our age is extremely tough to cope with, colleges need to be very sensitive about it, whereas I feel like burning Jesus college to the ground, I still have warm feelings for Pembroke as a result of their lovely feedback.
Original post by Svalir

Rejection this year was dealt with so much more nastily, last year I was pooled and then rejected by Pembroke and I can't even describe how lovely their letter was, they were so apologetic and so kind, made you feel like they were unlucky not to have accepted you and that you'd go on to far greater things.

Jesus were blunt and horrible about it. I'd recommend every college to take a leaf out of Pembroke's book, rejection for people of our age is extremely tough to cope with, colleges need to be very sensitive about it, whereas I feel like burning Jesus college to the ground, I still have warm feelings for Pembroke as a result of their lovely feedback.

Yeah their feedback was rather nice and positive, which encouraged me

When: January 10th
How: Email
What for: Economics
College: Pembroke
Emotions: Dissapointed, quite depressed
Why: Messed up some Mathematics question at interview, didn't get as many A1s as other people
Reapply?:biggrin:epends on how the other uni offers play out....
My feedback was just annoying.

It was one paragraph that just said they had 96 applications with 12 places on offer. The competition was just too high this year.

I wish they'd of just not interviewed me tbh. I applied as the uni (oxford and cambridge) have a prestigious type atmosphere that you just don't get with most other unis. Oh well.
Reply 270
Original post by redcar
What did you get for GCSEs?

Only 6A*s 3As and a B but my A*s other than one module were all 100% and they were the core stuff maths, english, triple science and history (I know not core but I continued it) so I guess they didnt care about my B in french as they said those results were I quote "amazing" :confused:
Reply 271
When: January 7th
How: Letter
What for: Medicine
College: St. Johns
Emotions: Disappointed but not surprised
Why: Seemed out of my depth at one point, Competition etc
Reapply? Looks that way, just got Soton rejection too so only 2 unis left now :frown:

Can anyone answer this question I was asked?

They asked me how I would diagnose a patient, that was fine. Then they said would it surprise you to know I make 70% of diagnoses purely by listening to the patient? What about the Cambridge course enables me to do this?

He was a Dr of respiratory medicine so I wondered if it was because he could hear them wheezing etc, but he specifically asked what aspect of the course gave him this skill :s-smilie:. Unless I misunderstood (I'm pretty sure I didn't as I asked him to rephrase it)

Any answers would be much appreciated as this is pretty much why I was rejected.
Reply 272
Original post by Bear Jew
When: January 7th
How: Letter
What for: Medicine
College: St. Johns
Emotions: Disappointed but not surprised
Why: Seemed out of my depth at one point, Competition etc
Reapply? Looks that way, just got Soton rejection too so only 2 unis left now :frown:

Can anyone answer this question I was asked?

They asked me how I would diagnose a patient, that was fine. Then they said would it surprise you to know I make 70% of diagnoses purely by listening to the patient? What about the Cambridge course enables me to do this?

He was a Dr of respiratory medicine so I wondered if it was because he could hear them wheezing etc, but he specifically asked what aspect of the course gave him this skill :s-smilie:. Unless I misunderstood (I'm pretty sure I didn't as I asked him to rephrase it)

Any answers would be much appreciated as this is pretty much why I was rejected.

I'm no medic but unless he was being particularly facetious I'd guess he means that the Cambridge course teaches you to focus on patient feedback for diagnosis i.e. that 70% of the time you are going to find the correct diagnosis by listening to a patient's self-diagnosis and description of their symptoms.
Im so upset to be rejected :frown: the worst part is, they said I was so close. I was told if I'd applied any other year I would have been given a place. I was rejected through the pool :frown:
Reply 274
Original post by QuantumOverlord
Im so upset to be rejected :frown: the worst part is, they said I was so close. I was told if I'd applied any other year I would have been given a place. I was rejected through the pool :frown:

They told me that last year and I was still rejected this year. Don't set too much store by the feedback.
Reply 275
Original post by Svalir
They told me that last year and I was still rejected this year. Don't set too much store by the feedback.

Don't take your incompetency out on other people. That's hardly appropriate given how he's probably feeling at the moment?
Reply 276
Original post by Lyam
Don't take your incompetency out on other people. That's hardly appropriate given how he's probably feeling at the moment?

Whoa! I think that's a little harsh? Judging by how I'm feeling now, being told I was so close just filled me with regret and 'what if' scenarios. It's only going to be more competitive next year, I'm just saying to think carefully before reapplying and not to base it all on the feedback. Jeez.

Saying I'm incompetent for being rejected is totally the wrong way to go about things, we can't all be perfect and get offers like you.
(edited 13 years ago)
Im not thinking of reapplying :P I did consider it but relised how much harder it would be the 2nd time round (no support from school, having to be productive for a year etc.) so Ive decided to go to durham instead.
Reply 278
Original post by Svalir
Whoa! I think that's a little harsh? Judging by how I'm feeling now, being told I was so close just filled me with regret and 'what if' scenarios. It's only going to be more competitive next year, I'm just saying to think carefully before reapplying and not to base it all on the feedback. Jeez.

Saying I'm incompetent for being rejected is totally the wrong way to go about things, we can't all be perfect and get offers like you.

Yeah, sorry...

I must have been in a bad mood, I think. I just thought you were telling him that they were lying about him being close rather than informing him that reapplying may not be a wise move. I hope you can accept my apology. :smile:
When: 26th of November
How: letter
What for: NatSci
College: Pembroke
Emotions: I was a bit disappointed, but I mean, it means i won't have to pay fees just now :smile:
Reapply: nope:P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending