Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Religion is a complete load of crap. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes, religion deserves a big kick in the ass. God + Satan = one and the same, i.e. dirty scumbags!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Beleg Cuthalion)
    So are you comparing love to something that is undetectable, mysterious, and downright unlikely? Love is a demonstrable quality that is seen in everyday life across the globe. If it exists, it cannot be disproven.

oops i'm rubbish and don't login to student room
    no i meant any kind of deity figure. specifically the undetectable bit, although i suppose the mysterious factor may vary :rolleyes:

[p.s. the last sentence is tautologous and i don't see how it supports your argument ]

ReputationRep:
    i'm sorry, but to me it seems more rational that there is a god (which we cannot fully understand, but can still believe in) than to think that we (the entire world) are just a product of some random processes, and that there is no meaning whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not religious, but I appreciate my background religion. I wouldn't necessarily say I practise it, but I respect the values and morals put forward. I believe anyone has the right to believe in what they want. I don't really know if there is a God up there or not but I feel there's something. However I cannot prove this. Evolution is a very valid explanation and I believe in this too. I'm sick of people inflicting their relgious beliefs on others, and I'm also talking about devout Atheists here too. "omg you idiots, you shouldn't believe in God"
    Well, do you realise that some people may not belong to a religion and may believe in God a little bit? They may not necessarily pray every second of the day or follow strict rules. They may only say whatb they think when asked, they won't go preaching. I hate the new "fashion" of devout Athiests.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MorningElegance)
    i'm sorry, but to me it seems more rational that there is a god (which we cannot fully understand, but can still believe in) than to think that we (the entire world) are just a product of some random processes, and that there is no meaning whatsoever.
    More rational? Or more comforting? I think, if you really thought about it objectively, we'd get the real answer.

ReputationRep:
    I think religion is NOT a complete load of crap.

ReputationRep:
    i wouldn't say religion is a COMPLETE load of crap.

i don't believe in any god and i think that religion really creates more trouble than its worth.

HOWEVER, i think that religion is a good way to teach children in particular morality and how to live in a good way. i was brought up a catholic and although i don't agree with it now, i think it certainly was good for me.

also many people NEED something to believe in - often people, especially in this day and age, find it hard to trust and follow other corrupt leaders like politicians etc, so it is important to them to be able to have a power that is higher than them and their world.

there are pros and cons, as we all know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by giga_grif)
    Creationism is rife in America more than it is in the UK that is true, however that does not mean it is not staggeringly ignorant, and I cannot come to terms with god being a rational explanation for the creation of the universe, there is ABSOLUTELY no evidence at all for this, and therefore I cannot understand how believing in god can ever be rational. Science cannot answer how the universe was created, but that does not mean that god is the only logical explanation, it means we just don't know yet why the universe came into being.
    Exactly, we dont know what created the universe. Thats why God sent down messangers and books telling us that God created the universe and that we should worship him to go to heaven after death

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by My Life)
    I think religion is NOT a complete load of crap.
    agreed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dadude)
    agreed
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by My Life)
    thanks
    dont mention it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dadude)
    Exactly, we dont know what created the universe. Thats why God sent down messangers and books telling us that God created the universe and that we should worship him to go to heaven after death
    ...or we could still not know the answer.

It's more logical to think that we don't know the answer than to assume we do. After all, we're tiny, insignificant life forms on a tiny, insignificant planet - that is all.

Regardless of whether you worship an ancient Sun god, the Christian God, Allah etc they're all essentially the same in the core belief - they all teach that we were created.

But that doesn't make it the truth.

In all honesty, NONE of us know how we got here. Believe what you want but remember that it's very unlikely that you're 100% correct. Keeping an open mind is the way to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CityOfMyHeart)
    Keeping an open mind is the way to go.

agreed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingMessi)
    More rational? Or more comforting? I think, if you really thought about it objectively, we'd get the real answer.
    Religion is definitely comforting through difficult times, but for me religion is rational. I am not saying God is the man in the clouds behind the pearly gates we imagine, but to me it feels rational there is something behind it all.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.